McGovern suspended for love tap

Remove this Banner Ad

Jetta does not sling at all, he basically leans over and they fall together. In my opinion all due care has been taken, but it is still a contact sport at the end of the day.

The umpires won't call HTB quick enough so he applies a tackle and tries to get him to ground, as softly as is possible given the circumstances. That one still annoys me. To me he has done what is reasonable for a game of football. s**t happens sometimes, like when two players hit each other over the ball and one gets injured.

Anyway, moving on.

The AFL I expect will be suspending a lot of players this year for jumper punches that slip high.

Jetta's tackle is a bad tackle and it is dangerous.

Part of it stems from Jetta being built like a bird and trying to take someone down bigger than him, resulting in bad form. Both arms pinned, drove him in to the ground head first, to the point that his neck was at a dangerous angle.

Jetta does not sling at all, he basically leans over and they fall together. In my opinion all due care has been taken, but it is still a contact sport at the end of the day.

The umpires won't call HTB quick enough so he applies a tackle and tries to get him to ground, as softly as is possible given the circumstances. That one still annoys me. To me he has done what is reasonable for a game of football. s**t happens sometimes, like when two players hit each other over the ball and one gets injured.

Anyway, moving on.

The AFL I expect will be suspending a lot of players this year for jumper punches that slip high.
Was it a jumper punch though?

Pretty easy to stop getting suspended. Just don't punch blokes in the head I would've thought.
If the AFL were serious about it, they would make it a minimum of 2 weeks for any punch to the head
and then increase from there.

Anyway, moving on.

I can guarantee no-one will be suspended for what Gov did this year. I'm sure we will see it happen two or three times against our players in this weeks game alone.

I'd love to know the story behind how they even noticed the incident to suspend him in the first place. I'm sure they check every melee for fines, but what he did is so subtle at first watch that I'm amazed they picked it up. Must have been pretty unlucky.

Pretty easy to stop getting suspended. Just don't punch blokes in the head I would've thought.
If the AFL were serious about it, they would make it a minimum of 2 weeks for any punch to the head
It wasn't a jumper punch, but it was light.

If you were to give two weeks for that, how much should Burgoyne get for a serious head sling - 4 weeks?
What about Sexton who tried to take his head off when he was going for the ball. That's why he was enraged.
Who wouldn't be?

Just on suspensions, it has to be for the process, not the outcome. It could be too late regarding some outcomes. Basing it on the outcome is just a lazy, dishonest way of saying 'well it wasn't that bad, because he got up and played on, which in the Burgoyne/Dangerfield case was just luck not good process.' Same with Sexton.

It wasn't a jumper punch, but it was light.

If you were to give two weeks for that, how much should Burgoyne get for a serious head sling - 4 weeks?
What about Sexton who tried to take his head off when he was going for the ball. That's why he was enraged.
Who wouldn't be?

Just on suspensions, it has to be for the process, not the outcome. It could be too late regarding some outcomes. Basing it on the outcome is just a lazy, dishonest way of saying 'well it wasn't that bad, because he got up and played on, which in the Burgoyne/Dangerfield case was just luck not good process.' Same with Sexton.
I agree it was a light punch.
But if the AFL are serious about it, just give all head punches 2 weeks minimum and it would soon stop.

Tackles like Burgoynes should be a 2 week start and then increased if the player get's injured.

Sexton should've gone as well.
Fining players who are on $300 000 plus is no deterrent IMO.

Last edited:
Jetta's tackle is a bad tackle and it is dangerous.

Part of it stems from Jetta being built like a bird and trying to take someone down bigger than him, resulting in bad form. Both arms pinned, drove him in to the ground head first, to the point that his neck was at a dangerous angle.
Disagree completely.

Jetta did not drive anything. He barely imparted his presence. There is a good way to tackle, and there is also a proper way to fight off a tackle and protect yourself. From memory there was a whistle, or the players were expecting a whistle on that play that had the Bomber's player not fighting as if the ball were still in play? But my memory is hazy on the exact details.

Anyway, that is hardly relevant for this season.

Sorry, not a jumper punch.

I am of the view that he was probably trying to whack him in the chest and it went high off arms. Dumb decision and deserves the suspension for the push into the fence anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back