McGovern suspended for love tap

Remove this Banner Ad

Four reportable incidents in round 2

a) Burgoyne slams Dangerfield's head into the ground. High potential for serious concussion. Dangerfield gets up to everybody's surprise. Must have a tough head. Jeff Kennett probably gets on the phone. 'Good guy' Burgoyne gets a $1000 fine. Outrage is so strong they immediately change the rule;

b) Sexton bumps McGovern with his head over the ball. Potential for serious neck or spinal injury. Somehow this is just a fine. Perhaps he has to break his neck before any suspension can be given.

c) Gov throws Sexton into the fence. Potential for injury, none occurs - a fine;

d) Gov does a half hearted shove at Sexton's face while two other players are also pushing him. No-one even saw anything live. Potential for injury minimal. Somehow MRO Christian plucks it from obscurity and hands out a suspension. Fine upheld by biased tribunal.

Joke! Joke! Joke!

Christian/VFL have set a really low bar for punches. I wonder whether they will uphold it. Of course not, 'good guy' Ablett needed three strikes for elbowing before he got suspended.

Stupid aggro overreaction by Gov didn't help us this week. Was never going to be overturned. Yes Burgoyne should have gone for a week too but Gov shouldn't have punched him. Worth the appeal just to see if we could dodge a self inflicted bullet. Schoey's turn to pull a Grand Final 18 type performance and save Gov's blushes.

It really shits me how Gleeson is such a hard ass prosecutor in the tribunal trying everything to get players suspended, but there is next to no appetite for him/AFL to appeal inadequate punishments handed out by the MRO. Every argument thrown at Gov tonight would be equally successful used against Sexton or Burgoyne, but because the MRO fined them they don't have to be subjected to a guilty-until-proven-innocent tribunal.

We will count how many vic based players this season receive No penalty for love taps and jumper punches

I reckon 15 +
Yep, this will be the measure.

Any contact to the face, no matter how minor, should now get a week.

The fact that sexton didn't remonstrate indicates how little force was involved. It was dumb by Gov, and as long as that standard is held by the MRO for the season then I'm fine with it. Forgive me if I have little faith that will be the case though!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It really shits me how Gleeson is such a hard ass prosecutor in the tribunal trying everything to get players suspended, but there is next to no appetite for him/AFL to appeal inadequate punishments handed out by the MRO. Every argument thrown at Gov tonight would be equally successful used against Sexton or Burgoyne, but because the MRO fined them they don't have to be subjected to a guilty-until-proven-innocent tribunal.
Yeah it’s more about saving face for the MRO than ensuring correct decisions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah well GOV plays like a fat sloppy turd when it's slippery anyway . Schoey with his spoil at all cost attitude and he actually defends may be a blessing in disguise

Can't wait for a browlow favorite to snot someone this week and get a fine
Fyfe with a double leg takedown is paying $1.03

Four reportable incidents in round 2

a) Burgoyne slams Dangerfield's head into the ground. High potential for serious concussion. Dangerfield gets up to everybody's surprise. Must have a tough head. Jeff Kennett probably gets on the phone. 'Good guy' Burgoyne gets a $1000 fine. Outrage is so strong they immediately change the rule;

b) Sexton bumps McGovern with his head over the ball. Potential for serious neck or spinal injury. Somehow this is just a fine. Perhaps he has to break his neck before any suspension can be given.

c) Gov throws Sexton into the fence. Potential for injury, none occurs - a fine;

d) Gov does a half hearted shove at Sexton's face while two other players are also pushing him. No-one even saw anything live. Potential for injury minimal. Somehow MRO Christian plucks it from obscurity and hands out a suspension. Fine upheld by biased tribunal.

Joke! Joke! Joke!

Christian/VFL have set a really low bar for punches. I wonder whether they will uphold it. Of course not, 'good guy' Ablett needed three strikes for elbowing before he got suspended.

Agree with everyrhing there. They are incompitent muppets.

Three actions that could easily lead to serious injury get a slap on the wrist. The one with minimal chance of serious injury but "looks bad" get a week.

If thats the standard then stick to it.

But if the AFL koalas of the comp get off doing the same or worse ................

There’s apparently no ability for the AFL to appeal light MRO rulings, because Christian is basically acting on behalf of the AFL.

I’m fine if that’s the standard going forward but it was very soft.

It will be a damn shame if we have a Brownlow favourite ruled ineligible for something so innocuous. Conversely, it will be blood boiling if this new standard isn’t applied to all players.

The AFL hasn’t left themselves with a lot of leeway.

But if you watch it in slo-mo it's a shocking hit with high potential for injury.

I'm surprised Sexton is still alive, really.

Here's how it went down..

Grace
GIF australian open - animated GIF on GIFER

Gleeson
Another Game For Milos GIF | Gfycat

We can't condone punches to the head, so it is right he got the week off. Stupid stuff, especially from a leader. They better be consistent with the application, though.

I can't fathom how Sexton only gets a fine though. Other major sports know this; you don't punish based on the injury, you punish the act. They've (rightly) changed the rule after the Burgoyne/Dangerfield sling, so they should do the same here. Don't wait for someone to end up in a wheelchair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back