Strategy McGovern's substitute - the key ingredients

Key ingredients for McGovern's position?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously, McGovern's injury has come rather untimely to say the least. Hopefully he will be ok and will be a good chance for a return for next week (should we make it).
In the meantime, there has been a lot of talk amongst the board on who we should pick to replace McGovern. Assuming of course we would be replacing Sloane for Smith in the coming Prelim, with McGovern out, there are 5 prime candidates:
- Milera
- Hampton
- Menzel
- Otten
- Keath
Each of the names above will have their pros and cons for selection. So instead of picking a name you want to replace McGovern, I thought it'd be interesting if we do a poll on what we think is/are the key ingredient(s) to a player to be his replacement.
Welcome to discuss further on this thread.

Speed, agility, nimbleness, pressure acts, defensive pressure, accurate kick, height, toughness, hunger for the contest.

Keath or Hampton.
I've added "accurate kick" from your suggestion. Thanks for the input!

Milera will come in.

Lynch will modify his role, I think he will lead more towards the forward 50. Rather than the defensive 50. Milera will offer defensive pressure.

Someone who offers both attack and defence (i.e. can pressure the opposition but can also lower the eyes and hit a target).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampton for me - I knowbhe hasn't played much lately but give him the job on Danger or Selwood and tell him not to let them out of arms reach. I'd love to see him with 0 k, 0h, 0m, 20t

Any chance we are foxing and Gov isn't injured at all?
He was reported to just doing light jogs and not train with the main group yesterday. Not the best preparation few days before the big game. Even if he does play, he will be liable to do more damage to the niggle/strain.

So the simple answer is "no".

Don't be that guy.
I am that guy if you think a player that has shown a reluctance all season to go in hard consistently will magically turn that around in game where the one certain thing is the Cats will bring the heat big time you're not basing it on any hard evidence. If he's selected I'll be hoping like hell you're right but I'm not seeing it.

I am that guy if you think a player that has shown a reluctance all season to go in hard consistently will magically turn that around in game where the one certain thing is the Cats will bring the heat big time you're not basing it on any hard evidence. If he's selected I'll be hoping like hell you're right but I'm not seeing it.

Some how I doubt you would see it, even if he did do it.

He was reported to just doing light jogs and not train with the main group yesterday. Not the best preparation few days before the big game. Even if he does play, he will be liable to do more damage to the niggle/strain.

So the simple answer is "no".
Closed training session today.....????maaayyybeee???

Some how I doubt you would see it, even if he did do it.
Well it would be a first for him to bring pressure on a consistent basis all game this season, I've heard the 2nd year's blues excuse plenty but to my eye he has stagnated this year especially in his hunger for the contested footy. I am not alone in that regard.

Come on, I love Milera's footy ability but, right now, he is very tentative in everything he does. He has produced moments of intensity but sustained pressure...never. Bicks is right. He's not going to suddenly produce it in a prelim.

Wasn't my point. Some people only see the darkness and can not see the forrest for the trees.

They get hung up on 1 point and 1 point only. Doesn't matter about the rest.

Back