• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 64 16.6%
  • Tim Taranto

Votes: 147 38.1%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 175 45.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

By most objective measures McGrath has dropped back in the pack against these two this year.

One thing I will say is in his favour is that when things are at their hottest he really steps up. Has been a massive performer for us late in the third and right through the fourth quarter for the last six weeks. Cool head, great hands, always has time.

Drop him, no fu** it, trade him.
Or perhaps recognise that a 17 disposal game isn’t something worth bumping this thread with?

Gotta have that cutthroat hawks attitude
Burton comes runner up in RS. Out ya go son. Wingard in.
Except Burton is a gun. And the Blues went hunting for the other pick to get Stocker.

So its Burton & and a shot at a top 2/3 talent for Wingard and whoever is at pick 8/9ish this year.

Taranto and Clug are better. But McGrath is still a gun in the making. Not sad with the selection.
At the very least he must be dropped, he's no good , we f’ed up. Hang on, we can't drop him the ressies are on top, he'd clearly struggle to get in that team. fu** ! We're stuck with him. And he's the next Captain as well. We are rooted.
If you two can’t post sensibly you can always leave?

When does the heat come on McGrath?

How long can he perform like this yet still get the term "young gun" attached to his name by default. Has zero impact on matches.

Doesn't win his own ball. Mainly handballs, low metres gained, kicks few goals and goes missing for long periods, and when he's good he's "okay"

What does he offer?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

McGrath definitely behind the other 2 but still very good imo. He is a victim of the sameness of our midfield Shiel, Parish, Merrett, Zaharakis and are all similar type mids to McGrath which leaves him being a victim of his own versatility as he can play every non KP position on the ground.

McCluggage has kicked more goals than any other midfielder in the competition this year. Has only had under 20 disposals on 2 occasions.
Developing into an absolute gun if he isn't one already.

Taranto and Clug are a long way ahead of McGrath.

You could even argue SPS has shown more than McGrath. Shai Bolton’s current form is also as good as McGrath has produced and he has only just gone into the middle. Think the Dons missed the clear choice in Clug.

I don't think there's any great science to this. Clug was identified as having the highest ceiling in the draft. Taranto not far away. But McGrath was the safe bet. He had the highest floor. The most ready made player in the draft and a very low probability of being a flop. Character wise he's the exact opposite of a Jack Watts.

So you can probably recut the draft now and in a few years time and have others ahead of him, but for Essendon it was about not wasting the #1 pick on a speculative player and McGrath was comfortably the safest choice.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's any great science to this. Clug was identified as having the highest ceiling in the draft. Taranto not far away. But McGrath was the safe bet. He had the highest floor. The most ready made player in the draft and a very low probability of being a flop. Character wise he's the exact opposite of a Jack Watts.

So you can probably recut the draft now and in a few years time and have others ahead of him, but for Essendon it was about not wasting the #1 pick on a speculative player and McGrath was comfortably the safest choice.

The problem of having the number 1 pick is you have to play it safe, for fear of stuffing it up. Think the Lions bucked this trend somewhat by drafting Rayner

i think given our gameplan being based around pace and the lack of defensive pressure we applied through the middle, our recruitment strategy wasn't much of a surprise

McGrath had the elite athleticism, he was able to play lock down roles defensively, and could be moved around the ground. The goal kicking is a bonus when he gets on the end of them.

The following pre-season, we were recruiting the likes of Smith & Saad to add this to our side.

The play on the weekend where he kicked the ball out on the full, the return ball goes to JJ and he spoils a 199cm FF whilst standing 178cm is why i love him in our side.
Will captain or VC the club one day.

Incorrect. Clug and Taranto were just as safe, Dodo just thought McGrath would be better. He wasn't alone, but he was wrong.

Shai Bolton’s current form is also as good as McGrath has produced
It's better. Bolton is a far more damaging and creative player. You couldn't pay me enough to trade them.

Like last year with Walsh.

Incorrect. Clug and Taranto were just as safe, Dodo just thought McGrath would be better. He wasn't alone, but he was wrong.
Disagree
What made McGrath stand out above all others was his level-headedness and maturity. There's no ego with this kid.
That's not to say Taranto or Clug have character issues, it was simply far more evident through the interviewing process that McGrath was mentally ahead of the others.

Disagree
What made McGrath stand out above all others was his level-headedness and maturity. There's no ego with this kid.
That's not to say Taranto or Clug have character issues, it was simply far more evident through the interviewing process that McGrath was mentally ahead of the others.
He could be the Dalai Lama and it wouldn't have made Clug and Taranto any less than rolled gold certainties.

McGrath was training like a professional athlete - his running coach has coached several Olympians - I thought it was obvious he had less scope for improvement than the other two. Turns out I was right.

Mcluggage was elite again today. 7 score involvements, 21 disposals and 524m gained.
1 clanger, 81% DE.

Not many better users of the ball, really reminds me of a Simon Black/Scott Pendlebury. Time just slows down once he gets it and he uses it well.

He's a lot quicker than those guys. Reminds me of Deledio.
Oh yeah, certainly quicker. But the decision making and time slow down he has, is very similar to those two.

Back