Moved Thread McGuire just doesn't get it!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2010
Chalong 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)

Haven't Tassie made it clear enough what they want and what they don't want?
McGuire is astounded that most think his ideas crap.
Surely he follows social media and has a handle on the feeling of a Victorian club being pushed on the Taswegian's is so not wanted, has the guy ever left Vic?

There is a subreddit on reddit called "choosy beggars"

Whenever I see that subreddit I think of Tasmania.

There is a subreddit on reddit called "choosy beggars"

Whenever I see that subreddit I think of Tasmania.

Why would that be?

The Tasmanian application is shown to be sound. It provides some equity in the national football economy which has used & drained Tasmania for decades.

It is a footy state so the AFL won't need to press gang a crowd or struggle for interest..

It will assist the rebuild of our football stocks, long left to degenerate through neglect.

Why would that be?

The Tasmanian application is shown to be sound. It provides some equity in the national football economy which has used & drained Tasmania for decades.

It is a footy state so the AFL won't need to press gang a crowd or struggle for interest..

It will assist the rebuild of our football stocks, long left to degenerate through neglect.

It isn't sound though as Tasmania simply doesn't have the population needed to support an AFL team. All Tasmania is asking is for another team in the competition that will need help by the AFL to stay afloat while not really offering much in terms of growth of the game or an increased TV rights deal.

McGuire is astounded that most think his ideas crap.
Surely he follows social media and has a handle on the feeling of a Victorian club being pushed on the Taswegian's is so not wanted, has the guy ever left Vic?

Its unfortunate that Eddie can't take his VFL centric bias out of the equation.

His 'North/Tas' plan is his possible solution to the very AFL problem of an over supplied AFL football market in Melbourne.

Somehow he cant see that if North don't want to go & their is no interest in North pretending to be Tasmanian, nor the forthcoming of significant government money for this near useless & somewhat 'fake' solution.

FFS Eddie, LET IT GO.

It isn't sound though as Tasmania simply doesn't have the population needed to support an AFL team. All Tasmania is asking is for another team in the competition that will need help by the AFL to stay afloat while not really offering much in terms of growth of the game or an increased TV rights deal.
Yet we have two AFL teams in QLD and NSW where they don't give a rats about AFL?

Tell GWS and the Suns to either step up or F off, and use the millions saved too set up a team in Tassie an actual football state.

Its a dumb idea.. 11 games in Melbourne and 11 in Tassie.. so they will never travel to Perth or anywhere, too much of an advantage
None of the other panelists on FC asked him about this... I would have liked Ross Lyon to ask where they would be playing games against Freo, Adelaide etc.

But McGuire said he was perplexed why his idea wasn’t being taken more seriously by the footy community

Ed, it's because you're proposing that a team gets 22 games at their home grounds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet we have two AFL teams in QLD and NSW where they don't give a rats about AFL?

Tell GWS and the Suns to either step up or F off, and use the millions saved too set up a team in Tassie an actual football state.

Except GWS and Gold Coast are benefitting the game as they may not add much to the TV rights yet but they are helping to grow the game.

Would a Tasmanian team do either of these things

1. Grow the game
2. Increase the TV rights

If the answer to both is "no" then they should not be entering the competition.

Except GWS and Gold Coast are benefitting the game as they may not add much to the TV rights yet but they are helping to grow the game.

Would a Tasmanian team do either of these things

1. Grow the game
2. Increase the TV rights

If the answer to both is "no" then they should not be entering the competition.

While the Tasmanian TV audience isn't big compared to other markets, I'm almost certain that the TV rights would increase solely on the basis on the broadcasters getting another game of football.

Also, I'd think it's fairly certain that many Tasmanians who don't have any memberships currently (because they'd never see value from them) would become members upon actually having a team to go watch. So overall AFL club membership would increase. So would crowds I imagine, because Tasmanians have no real incentive to watch North/Hawks but would to watch their own team.

The biggest stupidity of it all is the 11/11 suggestion, even our Merger agreement which states "not less than 6" matches in Melbourne hasn't been adhered to by the AFL for years, good luck getting 11!!

h) The Merged Club will play one half of the total number of home and away games per season at the Gabba and as many Melbourne based away premiership games as possible will be played at Optus Oval or the Melbourne Cricket Ground (but not less than 6)

None of the other panelists on FC asked him about this... I would have liked Ross Lyon to ask where they would be playing games against Freo, Adelaide etc.
I suspect they're too intimidated by Eddie to tell him it's a ******* stupid idea.

If a club wants to relocate, sure. They have 11 home games and can play them where they like, within reason. But to demand all away games in Melbourne is well outside the terms of reference.

I suspect they're too intimidated by Eddie to tell him it's a ******* stupid idea.

If a club wants to relocate, sure. They have 11 home games and can play them where they like, within reason. But to demand all away games in Melbourne is well outside the terms of reference.
No one wants to see Eddie start crying once those chins start wobbling no one knows what damage may occur.

Doesn't mean that what they want is what they should get.

I wont go as far as calling them 'chooseybeggars', and this particular suggestion is just silly, but Tas fans also need to understand that at the end of the day, there are a lot of stakeholders here, wanting different things (Hell, different Tas fans want different things), and so negotiations wont always go their way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back