Moved Thread McGuire just doesn't get it!

Remove this Banner Ad

As I've said elsewhere why would North entertain a relocation when they are:

• Debt-free.
  • Profit of $819,000 on revenue of $39,268,000 in 2021
  • Record membership in 2022.
  • $17 million spent on training and administration base at Arden Street between 2018-2022.

I hope when Sonja Hood is on in a couple of weeks she can explain this to McGuire. It's somewhat disappointing that this hasn't been outlined on Footy Classified already. All of the above is in the public realm.

WCRfypC.jpeg

I suspect they're too intimidated by Eddie to tell him it's a ******* stupid idea.

If a club wants to relocate, sure. They have 11 home games and can play them where they like, within reason. But to demand all away games in Melbourne is well outside the terms of reference.

Since when?

The AFL dictates where clubs play, and just because your club gets 11 home games where they want them doesn't mean other clubs do.

Deals like selling games require the AFL to cosign them for this very reason.

He can't be serious. He said he doesn't make things up on the spot, but his plan of 22 home games isn't even possible.
There are only eight other clubs in Melbourne. Where do the other three Melbourne games come from? And as if the other clubs would approve a club with this type of advantageous fixture. It is a ridiculous, rubbish plan that no-one asked for or wants. The other panelists are either equally as stupid or scared to call him out on this.

The biggest stupidity of it all is the 11/11 suggestion, even our Merger agreement which states "not less than 6" matches in Melbourne hasn't been adhered to by the AFL for years, good luck getting 11!!

Just to back over this... I got myself curious and went and had a look

24 seasons (excluding covid 20 & 21) since the Merger.
Brisbane have played
6 or more games in Melbourne only 9 seasons
5 times, 13 seasons
4 times, 2 seasons.

So get an agreement all you like, No chance of having the bunch of crooks at AFL house sticking to it

Did you miss the 'within reason' part?

No.
It's the AFL who gets to choose where clubs play, sometimes over the clubs/fans strong objections (Geelong playing home games in Melb, MCG tenants playing at Docklands).

'requests' from clubs only get actioned if it's in the AFLs interests (so you can sell a game to Hobart, but not to Perth)

Its a dumb idea.. 11 games in Melbourne and 11 in Tassie.. so they will never travel to Perth or anywhere, too much of an advantage
I think it is designed so Collingwood don't have to travel. The non Victorian clubs get 8 games down there plus Hawthorn due to the existing Tassie link. Means only 2 Victorian clubs travel there every year which will probably be the smaller Vic clubs

No.
It's the AFL who gets to choose where clubs play, sometimes over the clubs/fans strong objections (Geelong playing home games in Melb, MCG tenants playing at Docklands).

'requests' from clubs only get actioned if it's in the AFLs interests (so you can sell a game to Hobart, but not to Perth)
We all know that. I would suggest that that is what the 'within reason' part refers to.

Just to back over this... I got myself curious and went and had a look

24 seasons (excluding covid 20 & 21) since the Merger.
Brisbane have played
6 or more games in Melbourne only 9 seasons
5 times, 13 seasons
4 times, 2 seasons.
I think Geelong counts as Melbourne in this deal, did you include games at Kardinia Park in the above?

I think Geelong counts as Melbourne in this deal, did you include games at Kardinia Park in the above?

No and nor has Ballarat, Tasmania, Darwin or New Zealand where we have also had to play Vic teams as they are not in Melbourne.
The agreement mentions Melbourne not Victoria for that reason

Its unfortunate that Eddie can't take his VFL centric bias out of the equation.

His 'North/Tas' plan is his possible solution to the very AFL problem of an over supplied AFL football market in Melbourne.

Somehow he cant see that if North don't want to go & their is no interest in North pretending to be Tasmanian, nor the forthcoming of significant government money for this near useless & somewhat 'fake' solution.

FFS Eddie, LET IT GO.
100% this ^^^^^^^

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I've said elsewhere why would North entertain a relocation when they are:

• Debt-free.
  • Profit of $819,000 on revenue of $39,268,000 in 2021
  • Record membership in 2022.
  • $17 million spent on training and administration base at Arden Street between 2018-2022.

I hope when Sonja Hood is on in a couple of weeks she can explain this to McGuire. It's somewhat disappointing that this hasn't been outlined on Footy Classified already. All of the above is in the public realm.
Maybe we should send a club that has already deserted its traditional home, I'm looking at you Collingwood.

Didn't realise this....
Exacerbating North’s woes, they do not hold a second- or third-round selection in this year’s draft, having traded away those selections last year. Their next pick after No.1 is 55, based on current ladder positions.

It isn't sound though as Tasmania simply doesn't have the population needed to support an AFL team. All Tasmania is asking is for another team in the competition that will need help by the AFL to stay afloat while not really offering much in terms of growth of the game or an increased TV rights deal.
In your opinion.

Except GWS and Gold Coast are benefitting the game as they may not add much to the TV rights yet but they are helping to grow the game.

Would a Tasmanian team do either of these things

1. Grow the game
2. Increase the TV rights

If the answer to both is "no" then they should not be entering the competition.
Why does a Tasmanian team have to do either of those things?

You clearly don't understand that in addition to growing and developing the game in new areas, the AFL also has a responsibility to the health of the game in existing AFL areas.

Except GWS and Gold Coast are benefitting the game as they may not add much to the TV rights yet but they are helping to grow the game.

1. Grow the game

Looks like Gil got the wrong guy to run the AFL's review into Tassie business case.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It isn't sound though as Tasmania simply doesn't have the population needed to support an AFL team. All Tasmania is asking is for another team in the competition that will need help by the AFL to stay afloat while not really offering much in terms of growth of the game or an increased TV rights deal.

Q What is needed to support an AFL team?

A. MONEY!!

I example the finances of GWS, GC, MFC, StKFC. The AFL's large monetary support is the reason these clubs survive financially. Clearly NOT population size.

Anyway, what do you believe is the correct population size, & why????

Why does a Tasmanian team have to do either of those things?

You clearly don't understand that in addition to growing and developing the game in new areas, the AFL also has a responsibility to the health of the game in existing AFL areas.

This stuff clearly doesn't apply to anywhere else except Tasmania.

The game here is dying through neglect, literally. By any definition, putting a team in here will 'grow the game'. More like, 'regrow the game'!!!!!

The TV rights has already been addressed. The extra games will basically pay for the AFL contribution to this team.

The selfish arrogance of some supporters whose teams has benefitted from being gifted a spot in the growing AFL is just mind numbing.

Absolute rubbish based on no facts whatsoever

1. Grow the game

Having a 19 team would allow for a Thursday night game every week that’s a big selling point when it comes to tv rights . As for growing the game less players then ever are currently getting drafted out of Tasmania that should be incentive enough for the afl to do something

Absolute rubbish based on no facts whatsoever
It's amazing.that so many of these armchair experts think they know more than the real experts. People who have invested months and months of their time to produce a report that dispels all the myths around a Tassie team.
Yet the armchair experts still think they know better.

Go read the Godfrey and Carter report then get back to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back