Toast McHenry, Hamill and Sholl re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

The commercial viability of true high speed train (300km/hr Europe and Japan, 431 km/hr Shanghai) anywhere in Oz is bordering on implausible and to be blunt there is no chance it could ever work in Tassie.
Agreed, pigs may fly first, but cities of similar size are connected in Germany for example. I will leave it at that.

Still can't decide if he's gonna work out to be a key defender or a 3rd tall yet.
Yeah he’s closest to Alex Keath I think. 198cm so same height, and has that same agility and good ground skills for such a tall player.

I think right now Keath is our most versatile tall defender and Jordy would be his direct replacement I think

Yeah he’s closest to Alex Keath I think. 198cm so same height, and has that same agility and good ground skills for such a tall player.

I think right now Keath is our most versatile tall defender and Jordy would be his direct replacement I think
His disposal is very good for a tall defender and he usually selects the best option. The main concern at this stage is he is often outmarked by smaller forwards. Once he builds up his strength and gets more experience imho he will be a beauty.

His disposal is very good for a tall defender and he usually selects the best option. The main concern at this stage is he is often outmarked by smaller forwards. Once he builds up his strength and gets more experience imho he will be a beauty.
I think he’s the one I’m most excited about, and as you well know there’s a bundle of talent in that side right now.

Of these 3 yes.

If you get the chance Jordy Butts is the other one to watch.
I'm also a big fan of Hamill. His biggest problem taking it the next level right now is learning to not turn back into traffic on his right side

Reckon Hamill will be the best of the bunch in the long run

Having never seen either of them outside draft clips myself is this a big endorsement for Hamil, or concern on McHenry? From the little bits I've seen and heard I liked the look of him a lot.

Having never seen either of them outside draft clips myself is this a big endorsement for Hamil, or concern on McHenry? From the little bits I've seen and heard I liked the look of him a lot.
Neither I don’t think - such different players. Hamill is a classic running defender and will very be a high metres gained player as opposed to high possession. At 189cm he could also be a very damaging winger.

Ned will be the opposite, a more in and under high possession player.

I’m hopeful that Hamill and Scholl will develop into the Smith/Laird combo. I just see Hamill as a little smoother and a bit more damaging than McHenry.

That’s no criticism of Ned who should be a fine player for us.

Neither I don’t think - such different players. Hamill is a classic running defender and will very be a high metres gained player as opposed to high possession. At 189cm he could also be a very damaging winger.

Ned will be the opposite, a more in and under high possession player.

I’m hopeful that Hamill and Scholl will develop into the Smith/Laird combo. I just see Hamill as a little smoother and a bit more damaging than McHenry.

That’s no criticism of Ned who should be a fine player for us.
I want to start seeing Will take more attacking options, for someone with very good foot skills too often he's taking the safe short chip kick option back or across the ground. I know the "switch" is very much in vogue these days but I'd like to see Will start using his foot skills more as an offensive weapon to go a lot more direct. He has one of the AFL's best offensive defenders in Brodie Smith to learn from and I'd really like to see him model his game on Brodie.

I want to start seeing Will take more attacking options, for someone with very good foot skills too often he's taking the safe short chip kick option back or across the ground. I know the "switch" is very much in vogue these days but I'd like to see Will start using his foot skills more as an offensive weapon to go a lot more direct. He has one of the AFL's best offensive defenders in Brodie Smith to learn from and I'd really like to see him model his game on Brodie.
I think that’s fair comment.

I guess the key objective of our 2’s is to bed down the requirements of implementing the seniors game plan. So I’ve no doubt that much of what he does will be on instruction.

Hopefully though as time goes on and he is more comfortable that attacking flair will come.

Has the potential to be a monster metres gained player like Smith as you say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m suprised we got him with pick 39 in the rookie draft...

He looks great.. normally very composed with ball in hand, doesnt often get beaten by his opponent and has very good skills for a big lad.

If he continues on his current trajectory it will be an awesome gain from a junk rookie pick..

He looks great.. normally very composed with ball in hand, doesnt often get beaten by his opponent and has very good skills for a big lad.

If he continues on his current trajectory it will be an awesome gain from a junk rookie pick..
Yeah it’s amazing. No idea how he drifted so far. Bicks may know.

The great thing about last year’s draft was taking 3 talented defenders so they are all playing together and bonding in the 2’s.

Hamill, Butts and Scholl will, by the time they’re ready, be an established firm.

Yeah it’s amazing. No idea how he drifted so far. Bicks may know.

The great thing about last year’s draft was taking 3 talented defenders so they are all playing together and bonding in the 2’s.

Hamill, Butts and Scholl will, by the time they’re ready, be an established firm.
Funny thing is I wanted us to draft Jordan the year before if you followed the draft thread after he'd had a very good year in the TAC for the Murray Bushies playing in defence where for most of the year he was leading the marks stat in the Comp, also had a quite impressive Championships for Vic Country in his draft year. Only thing I can think of was with a birthday the last week in December he was the youngest player in that draft so perhaps the recruiters thought he was still a bit immature knowing full well he'd be available as an over ager in 2018, albeit the youngest over ager available in last year's draft.

Watching him again in 2018 I was still amazed no club took a chance on him in 2017 as he continued to shine for the Bushies both in defence and up forward showing his versatility.
I honestly thought he'd get drafted in the main draft this time but I was absolutely rapt when it was us that finally pulled the trigger in the the rookie draft....Only thing I can think of that might have made recruiters a little reluctant was his contested marking was still a work in progress whereas his work rate to get into space to be used and intercepting marking was top class.
Time will tell if his one on one contested game can get up to holding down a KPD role because he most certainly has the work rate and intercepting marking down pat already.

Once Butts get some strength on his frame he will be a very good prospect, his hands are as good as any I feel when he gets them near the ball, wish some of our AFL players could grab it as cleanly as Jordan does

Butts looks a really good player to me. I hope we sign him on for a few more years, shows a stack of potential.

No doudt these young players will make their mark in due time .Just thought i would throw some comparisons
EG: height and weight they certainly need to hit the Weights
Mchenry.....179cm 70kg .........Laird..177cm..81kg
Butts.........198cm 83kg.............Keath197cm..93kg
Jones.........180cm.77kg...........knight181cm.80kg,,....,Brown181cm81kg
Scholl..........185cm77kg...........Polhoke186cm.86kg.....Atkins186cm.85kg
I know the Senior players have a few seasons on new recruits, but i look forward to them playing when they Fill out.
You can add Davis,Mcadam,Hamill,Mcpherson, to that list
Even Murphy has 6kg's on Mchenry

No doudt these young players will make their mark in due time .Just thought i would throw some comparisons
EG: height and weight they certainly need to hit the Weights
Mchenry.....179cm 70kg .........Laird..177cm..81kg
Butts.........198cm 83kg.............Keath197cm..93kg
Jones.........180cm.77kg...........knight181cm.80kg,,....,Brown181cm81kg
Scholl..........185cm77kg...........Polhoke186cm.86kg.....Atkins186cm.85kg
I know the Senior players have a few seasons on new recruits, but i look forward to them playing when they Fill out.
You can add Davis,Mcadam,Hamill,Mcpherson, to that list
Even Murphy has 6kg's on Mchenry

That's really interesting. The closest of those young recruits to their mature analogue is Jones, and he has been the one given AFL games.

Jeremy McGovern was a rookie pick

It happens

Funny thing is I wanted us to draft Jordan the year before if you followed the draft thread after he'd had a very good year in the TAC for the Murray Bushies playing in defence where for most of the year he was leading the marks stat in the Comp, also had a quite impressive Championships for Vic Country in his draft year. Only thing I can think of was with a birthday the last week in December he was the youngest player in that draft so perhaps the recruiters thought he was still a bit immature knowing full well he'd be available as an over ager in 2018, albeit the youngest over ager available in last year's draft.

Watching him again in 2018 I was still amazed no club took a chance on him in 2017 as he continued to shine for the Bushies both in defence and up forward showing his versatility.
I honestly thought he'd get drafted in the main draft this time but I was absolutely rapt when it was us that finally pulled the trigger in the the rookie draft....Only thing I can think of that might have made recruiters a little reluctant was his contested marking was still a work in progress whereas his work rate to get into space to be used and intercepting marking was top class.
Time will tell if his one on one contested game can get up to holding down a KPD role because he most certainly has the work rate and intercepting marking down pat already.
With Signorello in a previous year and Butts last year I think the AFC might be reading your posts.

Top class workrate to get into space and mark, good decision making by foot.

Could he be a Tom Lynch replacement, or purely a defender?

Top class workrate to get into space and mark, good decision making by foot.

Could he be a Tom Lynch replacement, or purely a defender?
Considering he's training with the defenders who've all taken him under their wing according to the club article I think we can safely say he's being groomed for a role in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back