AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda
The Real McKee
by Rob Harris
The Border Mail
December 08, 2005

STEVE McKee is coming home to the club which helped launch his AFL career a decade ago.
Myrtleford yesterday announced it had beaten Ovens and Murray rival Yarrawonga in the race for the former Collingwood and Richmond big man in one the biggest recruiting coups in recent times.
McKee, 27, said it had been a "line ball" decision to choose between clubs with strong forces pulling him in each direction.
"Myrtleford is obviously a place I grew up and I have a lot of mates there," McKee said yesterday after agreeing to a two-year contact.
"I also had a strong family connection with Yarra and have cousins (Craig Ednie and Daine Runnalls) playing their but once a couple of mates told me they were going to Myrtleford it swayed me in that directions.
Collingwood's ruckman in its 2002 grand final loss to Brisbane, McKee will travel from Melbourne with close friend Sam Cartwright in next season.
The signing is set to send shockwaves throughout the O and M as the Saints hunt for their second premiership in the club's history after they were beaten by a kick after the siren against Lavington this year.
"I played a little bit of footy with St Kevin's in the A grade amateurs last year and I probably would have played their again if I hadn't committed to travel."
"The travelling was my major concern, but once the other guys committed it made my decision easier.
"It's been 10 years since I played a Myrtleford, and its going to be good to see all the guys again and my family more often."
McKee started his senior career with the Saints as a 16-year-old and won the club's best and fairest the following year.
He chose not to go through the TAC Cup system due to a logistical nightmare in terms of travelling from Porepunkah to Wangaratta for Murray Bushrangers training, but his talent could not be ignored and plucked by Richmond as its 55th pick in the 1996 draft.
He went on to play 84 league games (20 at Richmond and 64 with Collingwood) before he was delisted at the end of 2004.
The 199cm ruckman is sure to give the Saints a major boost in their quest for an elusive flag and after winning a wooden spoon in 2004, who would be thrilled to win his nod ahead of a rival club.
"It was a fairly competitive proposition between two clubs and the fact he has decided to come home just reflects the position the club is in at the moment," Saints president Bill O'Donohue said.
"For one of our own to go away and achieve what Steven has achieved and then come back and finish his career at Myrtleford is just tremendous for the club, the town and the whole Alpine Shire.
"People want to come and play for Myrtleford at the moment."
"They want to come and watch us because of our 2005 year and the recruitment of Steve brings the profile to attract the extra crowds, to ensure that our revenue continues to grow in line with our club.
"There was definitely some pressure from Yarrawonga given the family connections he has up there and the historical roles that the McKee's have played and all his cousins.
"But he has chosen to come back to his home club where it all started for him and I think in the end it was the difference and why we were successful

So are the Saints favourites given they have also picked up a couple of handy ones including Paul Bunn and David Steer and kept their losses to a minimum?

grub29 said:
I've heard of this pseudonym David Johnston before somewhere.

Yeah he's the bloke who always gets it wrong in The Border Mail.
He had the Saints coming sixth last year.
Wrong again!

David Johnston said:
So are the Saints favourites given they have also picked up a couple of handy ones including Paul Bunn and David Steer and kept their losses to a minimum?

Mr Johnston, rumour has it that a few including Ty Baxter are heading back to Bright.Any thoughts?

slim18 said:
Mr Johnston, rumour has it that a few including Ty Baxter are heading back to Bright.Any thoughts?

Ty Baxter is definitely going back to Bright after a so-so year with the Saints.
He looked fantastic on occasions, but had some injury issues and had a poor game in the grand final.
Bright was into Lucien Dean-Johns to coach, but he is staying put and determined to become a permanent fixture in the senior side next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back