Toast McKenzie re-signs until 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

DMac940.jpg

Gritty defender Daniel McKenzie has signed a three-year contract extension with St Kilda, seeing him remain at the club until the end of 2022.

The endurance machine cemented himself in the Saints’ backline during the second half of last season, with his hardness at the contest unwavering despite the side’s troubled year.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-05-07/new-deal-for-dmac

Thought that he has been good for us early in the season especially considering the injuries to our back line.

Maybe three years is too much, but good security for him and hopefully he can keep improving.

The Enemy Within

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Enterprise NCC-1701
AFL Club
St Kilda

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Gun player. Great stuff.

Takes over Gearys spot when the skipper retires. Great result for a kid whose career was at the cross-roads 24 months ago but through sheer determination and competitiveness has turned it around. Someone you’d love to see by your side as you run out to play.

This just goes to show how ridiculously impatient we are as supporters....
he’s only just reached 40 games!

In his time at the club he’s had glandular fever ( iirc) and at least two concussions. How quick we are to write off players as duds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great for Dmac. He has shown that sometimes all a player needs is patience and a bit of confidence.

I like this comment from the afl.com.au article about him talking about the influence Geary has had on him - "I think he (Geary) sees a lot of the potential that the coaches see that I might miss sometimes, so his belief in me increased my own confidence," McKenzie said.

Going superbly. It might take 200 games, but he’ll eventually get some respect from fans.

I reckon he's got a touch of the Geary in him. He's a bit munty in his kicking, a bull at a gate at every contest and seems a nice guy off field. I can see him being a guy who grinds out every thing he's got but not really having the polish of the elite players and copping it from fans. He's the type coaches love and fans don't get the value of.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
The much maligned McKenzie will be turning 23 next month , last year he finally found a spot in the 22.
He is one player in the back line who I would trust to play on Dustin Martin or a DeGoey and know he would do a job.
Attacks the ball as hard as anyone and has elite running ability and can take a good mark.
● Ranked 1st in Effective Disposals % Per Game in 2018
Excellent signing.

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well done McKenzie.

40 games in and probably one of the first names on the team sheet now.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has found a very nice role down there. Should play a solid role for years to come. Can't see him ever winning a lot of footy but will play an important role.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
He's starting to really grow on me.

He had a poor Gold Coast game but since then he wears his opponents like a glove. They just can't shake him as he has a great tank and nice speed off the mark. He's also got a great leap.

I think he'll get better and better with the final piece in the jigsaw his decision-making. He seems a smart lad off the field so I'm sure it'll come: probably just overthinks things a touch at the moment.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
DMac along with Lonie slightly softens the blow of Paddy & Hugh taken before them.

He’s become a reliable, tough & honest backman. Looks to be Geary succession plan but I think he has a few extra tools. Well done DMac.
Dmac & Lonie have done really after a very hard couple of years .
But Paddy & Hugh Boy oh Boy what a stuff up

big fan, just 40 games in, will be a player

If he maintains his spot he will be the first player in the club's history to get his name on the #36 locker.

Good on him. I actually think he is under-rated on here. Needs to improve his kicking under pressure but that can be said about 2/3 of our side at the moment. As the team develops so will he and I think he will be one of those low key super important and really good players who don't get talked about in a really good team. Think Joel Corey at the Cats.

Back