McLeod doesn't feel like past players are welcome at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh Baccsy,

you know those players were paid to be there, amongst crows loving fans? They were hardly going to be arch critics were they

I’m sorry to break it to you, but the Easter Bunny isn’t real either
Well, there goes all my hopes and dreams.

I CBF reading through all 10 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been covered by others, but I find it a bit off that the past players committee consists of Jameson, Bickley, Koster and Modra. Not that I object to those guys specifically, they were all good players for our club. But that fact that we've been around for 30 years now but all of those guys played for us in the 1990s seems a bit out of whack. Bickley was the last one of them to retire, which was 2003. So there is no representation from anybody who has played for the club in the past 17 years?

They're all at other clubs.

I CBF reading through all 10 pages of this thread, so apologies if this has already been covered by others, but I find it a bit off that the past players committee consists of Jameson, Bickley, Koster and Modra. Not that I object to those guys specifically, they were all good players for our club. But that fact that we've been around for 30 years now but all of those guys played for us in the 1990s seems a bit out of whack. Bickley was the last one of them to retire, which was 2003. So there is no representation from anybody who has played for the club in the past 17 years?

They got ******* Cornsey to do the “stick with us” video.

They have no idea.

A good chairman would contact Bunji privately without an announcement that this is what he is doing. He would listen with sympathy to McLeod's reasons for the way he feels and then , if possible, make changes to address the problem. Then, leave it to McLeod to make the announcement that things are now better if they are. I'm critical of our chairman for being the invisible man that never makes any waves whatever. In this case, he should work behind the scenes to try to resolve the issue.
Apart from his indigenous work at the club, Bunji is also an assistant coach with the women's team--stood down for the covid crisis.

I agree in general, but ypu seem big on the expensive lunch.

If you're trying to build relationships, it's not about smoozing, but sit down for a genuine chat over coffee, beer, campfire, whatever. But Bunji doesn t seem to be the Magill Estate kinda bloke.

A bit more genuineness at this club would go a long way
C C C C CAMPfire?????

aaah jeeez.

Listening to Roo's comments to placate the clubs mouthpiece in here. Some of the notes:
- Macca is a quiet fella.
- All players feel awkward going back to the club like you would going back to any workplace.
- Jamison is doing a good job with the players association (heard that before about one of Roo's mates).
- Disappointed in him to say these things during the biggest financial crisis this club has seen.
- He should get more involved to fix the culture if he thinks there is an issue.
- Long good chat with him but tune into the podcast for details?

Seems like a whole bunch on nothing to me.

But why would you then take up a job if he felt that way to start with? He's got plenty of options and doesn't need us to give him a job like some ex-players who work there. That's the hard thing to figure out.
Because it's a career move, perhaps into a space he was interested in? Maybe he doesn't have that many options - maybe he doesn't project well as a coach or leader, and getting the opportunity with Adelaide was something he saw as an opportunity to develop?

Even if it was Massie, it was Craig's stubborness to keep him on Franklin. Just because it worked in a cold, slippery night at footy park a couple of weeks earlier, does not mean it's going to work in the perfect conditions inside etihad stadium. Roo should never have put his hand up to play, and that culture has so far not been corrected. Sloane just last year hobbling around with a bung foot being no use at all. If you're injured, think of it as an opportunity for a kid to get a game while you get right. Are these guys professionals or 5th division amateurs?
It was his last game and having missed a chance at a flag the last 2 years I can see why he wanted to play.

But don't ****ing pick him.

Listening to Roo's comments to placate the clubs mouthpiece in here. Some of the notes:
- All players feel awkward going back to the club like you would going back to any workplace.
- Jamison is doing a good job with the players association (heard that before about one of Roo's mates).
- Disappointed in him to say these things during the biggest financial crisis this club has seen.
- He should get more involved to fix the culture if he thinks there is an issue.

What’s wrong with the 2nd to last comment? If Macca has a genuine problem, he could take it in his own hands and do something to fix it. Roo said this is not the first time he’s tried to get him more involved with the club, it just sounds like to me it has to be on Macca’s terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trouble is there's hundreds of past players. Do they all get access to free tickets? I believe we're still the club with the highest number of 11 game memberships in the AFL and we traditionally sell out most, if not all of our games. Unlike the Power or other clubs, we don't have tickets just to throw around willy-nilly.
There are 228 ''capped'' players of the AFC (according to AFLTables.com) of those 40 would still be on our playing list

180 odd tickets x 2 = 360

''To all past players please be aware 2 entry passes will be available at the Phil Riding gate entrance - please bring ID - if you require further tickets these will be allocated on an availability system. Limit to 4 extra passes ''

Not every player will take these up
Not every player will attend every game
More ticket/passes would be given out to Corporates than ex players

What’s wrong with the 2nd to last comment? If Macca has a genuine problem, he could take it in his own hands and do something to fix it. Roo said this is not the first time he’s tried to get him more involved with the club, it just sounds like to me it has to be on Macca’s terms.

Didn't say there was anything wrong with it - it was just noted.

I wish that instead of saying 'there isn't a problem' or 'so and so it elite or doing a great job' they would actually acknowledge issues and not just play the 'i can't believe he said that' card.

There's a playbook we follow in times of criticism. We use some or all of these every single time:

1. Batten down the hatches.... deny that there is a problem.

2. Play the victim... acknowledge that there might be a small issues there but the media are blowing it way out of proportion.

3. Widen the lens.... admit that yeah ok it might be a problem but the problem exists at other clubs too, it's not just us.

4. Attempt to trivialise... sure it's an issue but there are much more important things to worry about.

5. Spread the blame... reel off a number of different names when talking about who is responsible for this area.

6. Return serve... try to shift at least some portion of the blame onto the original complainant. Shuts them up and serves as a warning to others.

7. Trust us... hint that there are other issues at play behind the scenes that we can't get into publicly.

8. Loud noises... distract attention with some unrelated positive club announcement or promo.
9. Start social media campaign of players saying they ''love Macca'' and many clips of the indigenous lads saying they'' grew up idolising Macca ''

10. Sit back and let the ''true fans'' bash out the love on Twitter

Is this accurate or is it satire?

Yep a footy club is meant to be just like any other workplace until that workplace can't provide a service then that workplace wants to keep all their customers money cos "we're really a club afterall". What a joke.

Jamo doing a great job - LOL, of course he is - just like Burton was.

If Andrew doesn't like it maybe he should go and become a legend at another club.

We are so screwed until we have a thorough review and clean out of our field departments - including the board.

I think this is an ongoing league issue - apart from the bigger Vic clubs.

When is our training? How can an explayer access the club apart from gameday?

And would the club want to see a Lachie Murphy having a chat to Richie Douglas rather than the coaches ? ie this only listen to me type of coaching

I reckon players feel awkward because there isnt any real engagement with anybody but their teammates - having to deal with Clay Sampson or Brodie Atkinson would be outside their comfort zones

tl;dr building culture starts with engagement

Jamo is the one bloke at the club who has never returned a call or email from CrowCast. We tried to engage him with Shutt's recommendation to get some past players on the Cast. Never once responded.
Comes across as pretty smug on radio, not surprised to hear that.

Isn’t that Shutts’ job
Due respect to Shutts, he gave us Jamo's details and said he would tell him to expect our contact. So, I think that was a reasonable approach. I mentioned my chat with Shutts in my correspondence to Jamo, so he could have checked if he was suss about our bone fides.

Jamo is the one bloke at the club who has never returned a call or email from CrowCast. We tried to engage him with Shutt's recommendation to get some past players on the Cast. Never once responded.

He's one of those guys that the more I learn of him the less I like him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back