McLeod doesn't feel like past players are welcome at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

I, along with so many other want Chapman out of the club. But whilst I haven't got on the band wagon and suggest that Fagan must also go I am starting to believe that he must also go. I have to admit that I am a Roo supporter but something is not rite at the club and I am also starting to question my loyalty for Roo. We need people at the top who know how to make our club great again and I dont think that the management we currently have can do that. Well maybe they can do it but if they can why haven't they done so already. Why do they have to be pushed.
The issue is Roo's opinion of himself is too entwined with the club. Any criticism or "attack" on the club, he takes as an attack on himself, hence the reason for the defensiveness, lies and cover-ups. This goes back to his blind loyalty of guys like Burton, they played for the club, they love the club, so any decisions they make are the best thing for the club, because some "outsider" who hasn't devoted themselves to the Crows like they have for decades couldn't possibly understand why they do what they do. If they'd just shutup and let them do what they want it'd all be OK again!

This is why Walsh could see so clearly what the problems were, it's why hopefully Nicks can too. They've been around football long enough outside the 4 walls at West Lakes to know and see it. Our guys like Campo were the issue in that he'd been here so long he couldn't see any other way, they're just blind and can't understand why the criticisms suddenly start hitting. I don't think Pyke had enough broad football experience deep inside a club to know either, I don't think Roo knows, Fagan doesn't, he's not an AFL guy, guys like Francou saw it and was immediately told to "F-off" when he told 'em, so we're now left with hoping Nicks, Kelly and Jackson can make that change.

I will also say the continued questioning of "What's with the culture at Adelaide?" from the media repetitive in that there is clearly an issue. It doesn't need to be kept being brought up as some sort of new revelation, but it's like they expect it to have been fixed already from last years review, which is foolish in the extreme, especially considering alll the Covid-19 stuff as well. It will take time, it might take years, so you have to make sure you keep hitting the correct targets within the club and don't start firing shots at the new guys brought in to work.

Last edited:
Roo's problem is he has never been out if the AFL bubble and he has built his wealth on nepotism.

He came to the club as s 16 year old.
He built a pub empire with the guidance of Peter Hurley
He got media gigs, despite being a poor communicator, on the back of his AFL career.

He is a product of the insular nature of the Football industry. They join as kids, make few real life choices without club (or club patron) assistance and in reality don't grow up. The longer the career the more "institutionalised" they are.
They are essentially man childs. Once retired many still cling to the Footy Industry ie media/clubland as they can't face the real world.

As a board member Roo used his experience to appoint people. His experience is nepotism, and football.

Love the guy and the fact he is trying his best to get our club to succeed.

But he just is not intelligent enough to be a board member with as much power that he has.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The issue is Roo's opinion of himself is too entwined with the club. Any criticism or "attack" on the club, he takes as an attack on himself, hence the reason for the defensiveness, lies and cover-ups. This goes back to his blind loyalty of guys like Burton, they played for the club, they love the club, so any decisions they make are the best thing for the club, because some "outsider" who hasn't devoted themselves to the Crows like they have for decades couldn't possibly understand why they do what they do. If they'd just shutup and let them do what they want it'd all be OK again!

This is why Walsh could see so clearly what the problems were, it's why hopefully Nicks can too. They've been around football long enough outside the 4 walls at West Lakes to know and see it. Our guys like Campo were the issue in that he'd been here so long he couldn't see any other way, they're just blind and can't understand why the criticisms suddenly start hitting. I don't think Pyke had enough broad football experience deep inside a club to know either, I don't think Roo knows, Fagan doesn't, he's not an AFL guy, guys like Francou saw it and was immediately told to "F-off" when he told 'em, so we're now left with hoping Nicks, Kelly and Jackson can make that change.

I will also say the continued questioning of "What's with the culture at Adelaide?" from the media repetitive in that there is clearly an issue. It doesn't need to be kept being brought up as some sort of new revelation, but it's like they expect it to have been fixed already from last years review, which is foolish in the extreme, especially considering alll the Covid-19 stuff as well. It will take time, it might take years, so you have to make sure you keep hitting the correct targets within the club and don't start firing shots at the new guys brought in to work.

Great post

Love the fact you brought up Nicks, Kelly and Jackson

Kelly is my great hope. Look at that pedigree. Outstanding. Hope it transfers into proper change

Nicks. Have heard great things about his people skills. How will it transfer to the culture and how long will it take?

Jackson also looks a big tick based on the diversity of his travels

This is what the club needs. An outsiders eyes. Walsh saw it. And we saw change that benefited into 2017 and to the end of it before the self implosion post GF

Bring in more outsiders! Not Roo as a replacement for Chapman. New blood. Fresh eyes. Make the place better

This might sound like an old man's rant, so apologies in advance...

I feel like the main issue culturally at the club is that has become disconnected from it's beginnings, from the reasons it exists and the people who made the club what it became in the 90's.

The club was born out of a complete disdain for Victorian football culture. Now I know that's an ironic statement, given we joined a victorian competition, but the essence of our passion for the Crows was the desire to beat them in their own competition. We joined because we really had no choice, but having done so, we held on to a tribal passion that was founded in State of Origin rivalry, player pillaging by the Vics, and a general anti Vic attitude. They talk about rivalry in football, but our rivalry with Victoria was akin to the NSW v QLD rivalry in Rugby League.

Through the 90's, it continued to fuel us. The majority of our players were South Australian, our successes came from South Australian coaches, we marched the streets in the tens of thousands when we achieved the ultimate goal. Since then, though, things changed. Through the draft mechanisms and the increased "national" flavour of the competition, our roots were diluted. How can you bring interstate players into a culture of "Kick a Vic"? Great South Australian administrators like Bill Sanders moved on, our playing list became more diverse, our brand became more corporate. Slowly but surely the connection between the present and the reason we exist (along with the source of the fuel that lit our fire) has disappeared. Sadly, ex players who have taken over in various roles at the club have placed more importance on greasing the Corporate wheels than maintaining our heritage.

Phil Walsh knew all this when he entered the club. He saw us for what we had become and didn't like it. Being a passionate man, he was the type to value history and soul at a footy club, and he knew we didnt have much. His words during his time with us, reflected a desire to recreate that passion, set standards and build an ethos. The great thing about Phil was, he wasn't just going to key into the club's history, he was going to build a culture that was sustainable - work ethic, mateship, elite standards. Things that a kid from WA or VIC could buy into, things that would make them love the club, despite its location and foundation.

The biggest failure of our current administrators, the thing that shits me more than anything about where we are at, is that the very people that employed Phil and stood behind him as he began to lead us in a new, authentic direction, is that they havent followed through on his vision since he left us. Roo saw something in Phil at Dean's funeral that made him want to bring him to the club, yet Roo himself has forgotten why that was. Chapman, Ricciutto and Fagan saw first hand what a mesmerising, inspiring character Phil was and they completely bought into his ethos. It is SO SAD that they didnt have the passion and leadership to take up the reigns following Phil's passing, and implement the cultural standards that Phil had sought to build.

We should be building a culture that values our beginnings, honours our past greats and builds on the ethos that Phil put forward. Elite standards. Team ethic, personal ownership and responsibility. That's a sustainable ethos. That's something that will transcend our beginnings, much like the bloods culture ethos at Sydney. Im so disappointed in Chapman, Roo and Fagan. They saw what they wanted, had the template in front of them, and havent had the courage or standards to pick up the baton. I don't know who is going to have the courage to do so, but until we find that person, we'll continue to be a soulless Corporate franchise. And in 20 years time, we wont be filling Adelaide Oval, because we won't have given the kids of today anything to support.

I think we greatly overstate the influence Phil would've had on the club. The people above him wouldnt have changed their ways, he would've become disenfranchise, burnt out and left.

Sadly we will never know, and I would've loved to have found out whether I was wrong about what he could've achieved

The biggest failure of our current administrators, the thing that shits me more than anything about where we are at, is that the very people that employed Phil and stood behind him as he began to lead us in a new, authentic direction, is that they havent followed through on his vision since he left us. Roo saw something in Phil at Dean's funeral that made him want to bring him to the club, yet Roo himself has forgotten why that was. Chapman, Ricciutto and Fagan saw first hand what a mesmerising, inspiring character Phil was and they completely bought into his ethos. It is SO SAD that they didnt have the passion and leadership to take up the reigns following Phil's passing, and implement the cultural standards that Phil had sought to build.

Is it sad?

or maybe it was so emotionally draining that they are now taking an "easier" route subconsciously?

Not making excuses, but i can only imagine the effect it had on them at the time and ongoing....

I think we greatly overstate the influence Phil would've had on the club. The people above him wouldnt have changed their ways, he would've become disenfranchise, burnt out and left.

Sadly we will never know, and I would've loved to have found out whether I was wrong about what he could've achieved
That's not really the point. The point is, until someone can define us as a club, as Phil tried to instigate, we will continue along this mediocre path.

Is it sad?

or maybe it was so emotionally draining that they are now taking an "easier" route subconsciously?

Not making excuses, but i can only imagine the effect it had on them at the time and ongoing....
Im sure it had a deep impact on them. But they employed him for a reason. He was a change agent. There should have come a moment after the grief had subsided, where they revisited the reasons why the hired him, and became agents of change themselves.

That's not really the point. The point is, until someone can define us as a club, as Phil tried to instigate, we will continue along this mediocre path.
I agree with that, but that person has to be above the head coach. I sincerely hope other players come out and join Bunjis cause because the people he spoke about won't leave if he is a lone voice.

Then and only then can we get back to some semblance of the path Bill and Bob had us on.

Coincidentally I see a similar issue down the road, although in an opposite direction. They built their club on being hated by all and sundry. It's the us against them mentality. The issue they have is nobody cares anymore, except for probably us. They talk about history, but it's either mocked by people or not even cares about by most.

Im sure it had a deep impact on them. But they employed him for a reason. He was a change agent. There should have come a moment after the grief had subsided, where they revisited the reasons why the hired him, and became agents of change themselves.
I think they probably felt "there's only one Phil" and nobody else could fill that breach.

Until about 3pm one September Saturday it looked like we made it work, then the straw broke the camels back.

I know from first hand that Kym Ryder engages with members, I posted a massive spiel about it after a discussion I had with him late last year. Anyone mentioning him in this discussion is so far off the mark.
Totally agree.
When I asked him about doing a message for Deaneus he did not hesitate.

I don’t know what restrictions are in place with supporter engagement
I have never asked him.
However I recall someone commenting on here about persons needing media training before they can go on the podcast.

Andrew has released a statement to the media...

View attachment 886719

Very well said and articulated by Macca. No condensention or character attacks as we've seen coming from Roo and Jamison.

Someone put it well. The club sees us as customers but when the time comes that they can’t deliver the product, they’re all, “support your club, give us your money”. It’s appalling that people are doing it. They’re ensuring no change.

Unfortunately, that's what we are. As "members" we don't actually hold

I feel for Roo a bit

He has become our head honcho by default really. Club starting to really flounder in 2014, an SOS from the current players and he answered the call.

Has no background in running a football club and never held any off field role administratively or coaching at any club.

Due to a shortage of qualified people at the club he filled the void. Walsh was looking like a tick, certainly in terms of culture. For two years Pyke was looking like a massive tick. From the dire 2014 Roo had turned us around.

Over time his shortcomings and lack of quality support are being found out. But this wasn't a role he actively pursued. He almost got guilted into it. The players went to him and no one else. Not Macca.

So credit to him there.

But simply put, there aren't enough people at our club who know what they are doing and it shows.

Roo was at his best when he was outside the club looking in, with perspective on the situation and close to a handful of players. Now maybe he's too close to the action?

When Roo came in, he seemed like a breath of fresh air. He clearly had a good perspective on the issues and where the club was genuinely at. He was able to come in, cut through the bullshit and make the tough calls (ie sack Sando and hire a big Port Power name) whilst keeping the bulk of the supporter base on board.

He was the battering ram that we needed. His gig clearly isn't day to day stuff though, as has been mentioned, a very loyal kind of guy who appreciates dedication to the cause.

Unfortunately the Crows became "his baby" to an extent, instead of stepping back he put his heart and sole into recreating our football department/club as "football director". So any attack on the club is now an attack personally on Roo. It is always much easier to critique someone else's work, as it is your own.

To extend this, I think one of the key cultures(probably with roots from the Craig era) at the club is that if you work hard, you're doing good work. We see this from our "full time Chairman... and proud of it". So when things don't go right, you work even harder. The trouble is the harder you work, the more burned out you become, the harder it is to see the wood for the trees and you end up putting out spot fires and it feels like you're hearding cats.

So when the criticisms come and everyone's been busting their gut to fix things, its very easy to get frustrated and defensive. This is compounded by the fact that you're dealing with a bunch of massive ego's.

I don't think anyone's criticised Roo or Chapman etc for lack of hard work or care. I imagine hearts and souls have been poured into our football club and it is appreciated. Unfortunately the answer is sometimes you're simply not the right person for the job.

To me, Roo is far better off leaving the board, or at the very least taking a back step. He's the one you want, when s**t's hitting the fan, to saunter on in, crack a few heads, lay a few hip and shoulders and then to step back again. Unfortunately he didn't step back and despite some early success its now his s**t that's hitting the fan and McLeod has had to take on that role and Roo's only response is to fire a full broadside back.

I don't see anything wrong with what he has said. Good on him for trying to do something about it. Might have been better to do it by talking to those people and not have it in the media, unless he believes that without the media pressure nothing will happen. Which is entirely possible, let's be honest

Agreed, the trouble is Macca may have been trying to do the right things behind the scenes for a while now, but just hitting brick wall after brick wall. Quite seriously, I don't think Macca woke up the other day and decided "hey, I'm going to have a crack at the club", I suspect this is something that's been brewing for a while and he likely has a number of past players/staff backing him as well.

He now also happens to have the benefit of a mouthpiece in terms of his own podcast, probably not as big as the Triple M morning show though...

Hopefully, this is the movement that as needed to exact change at our club. Sadly, the members have very little power in this regard, sure we can pull our membership, but now's about the worst time as the club does need the money, but also if we pull our membership, its very easy for the powers to simply blame COVID-19 rather than a need for change.

Is it sad?

Think it's more a case of slipping back into bad habits. Our club has had a constant battle with complacency since day one.

We saw it in the last two years after nearly every loss - excuses galore, spin and a belief that we were better than we actually were. We still saw ourselves as the team that played in the GF. Never mind actually trying to get better.

Things only change around the club when either Port are doing well (which isn't that often given the bleak last ten years they've had) or when we are truly terrible (i.e. bottom four). Would we have appointed Blight and done a massive cleanout if Port weren't joining the comp in 1997? Walsh almost certainly wouldn't have been appointed if Port weren't top four in 2014 - we'd probably still have Trigg here too. We were the second worst club in the competition after the bye last year, which was the catalyst for the review that should have happened 12 months previously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone hear what AFC media operative spin doctor Mark Bickley said? Something along the lines of “does anyone really care about that stuff? I’d rather my football club make good decisions and win games of football.”

Well, Mark, they’re not ******* doing that either!

Bickley’s attitude perfectly sums up the unrepresentative vermin on the AFC board of directors. What these colossal arsewipes do not understand is that McLeod‘s views represent the members. He is saying things unheard, unrepresented financial members have been saying for years.

These dickwads are flabbergasted that a club legend (who is now a supporter like us) could say this, because they are completely, utterly, entirely, absolutely, UNREPRESENTATIVE of their members.

Their heads are so far up their own arses that this obvious fact totally eludes them.

It took one of the club’s biggest, brightest legends to publicly humiliate their stupid, sorry arses. This is what it has come to.

Not his cup of tea and not that kinda guy

But fu** me, we've fallen a long way from the heights of (most of) 2017

That GF really did a number on everyone. Players, admin, coaching staff

What a fall and it seems like we have people incompetent of turning the ship around

But i am glad Macca has spoken up. But if we don't listen to THE guy. The best player in our history, well we're truly f’ed and have no chance of coming back

Someone has to take notice of what was said and go... "you know what, we need to do something for the club" (as opposed to themselves which seems to be the common theme...)

FFS, you're an incumbent. You are meant to leave the place in a better spot than when you got there... not run it into the ground

What does slightly annoy me is the other ex players who support his position.

Don't hide behind Macca, come out with your own statement, find a spokeperson willing to talk publicity and go for it.

That is how it should work in a club.

Did anyone hear what AFC media operative spin doctor Mark Bickley said? Something along the lines of “does anyone really care about that stuff? I’d rather my football club make good decisions and win games of football.”

Well, Mark, they’re not ******* doing that either!

Bickley’s attitude perfectly sums up the unrepresentative vermin on the AFC board of directors. What these colossal arsewipes do not understand is that McLeod‘s views represent the members. He is saying things unheard, unrepresented financial members have been saying for years.

These dickwads are flabbergasted that a club legend (who is now a supporter like us) could say this, because they are completely, utterly, entirely, absolutely, UNREPRESENTATIVE of their members.

Their heads are so far up their own arses that this obvious fact totally eludes them.

It took one of the club’s biggest, brightest legends to publicly humiliate their stupid, sorry arses. This is what it has come to.
Bickley is deluded if he thinks that "that stuff" and "winning games of football" are mutually exclusive.

Bickley is deluded if he thinks that "that stuff" and "winning games of football" are mutually exclusive.
I think Bickleys point is fine, he doesn't care and as the only premiership captain his view has weight.

but it is important in any organisation that others have veiws, and if your greatest ever player doesn't feel welcome because he likes stuff on the wall, well put the stuff on the wall.

What does slightly annoy me is the other ex players who support his position.

Don't hide behind Macca, come out with your own statement, find a spokeperson willing to talk publicity and go for it.

That is how it should work in a club.

I think this is a fair point, but let's be honest, most of our club legends and 200 game players are either employed at the club or at other clubs.

McLeod - spoke out
Edwards - bad relationship and speaks out
Roo - board member
Hart - coach
Smart - executive
Goodwin - head coach of rival team
Bickley - media shill
Thompson - until recently coached at rival team
Rutten - about to be head coach of rival team
Bassett - coach at rival team
van Berlo - coach at rival team
Jameson - board member
Rehn - ???
Modra - involved with club's past players program
Jarman - ???
McDermott - involved with club's past players program
McGuinness - involved with club's past players program (?)

Who else do we want speaking out? Aside from a few premiership players that list is most of our major players

I think Bickleys point is fine, he doesn't care and as the only premiership captain his view has weight.

but it is important in any organisation that others have veiws, and if your greatest ever player doesn't feel welcome because he likes stuff on the wall, well put the stuff on the wall.

He‘s a premiership captain because of Andrew McLeod.

Bickley has basically never left the club, so whilst he's entitled to a view, Im not sure whether it's a balanced one.

He‘s a premiership captain because of Andrew McLeod.
I've always thought "Premiership Captain" to be a fairly empty title. I mean sure, you were captain in a premiership year and thats an achievement, but does it elevate you to the same extent as say Fud or Bunji having massive finals games that won us those flags?

We really need something like the Bradman collection at Adelaide Oval. Still think a section of the new casino development or at Adelaide Oval where we can have a coffee or a drink and see the premiership cups/memorabilia, watch vision of old games/history of club and meet and greets wirh current an past players. It does not have to be huge as we won't all go there at same time!

Last edited:
I think this is a fair point, but let's be honest, most of our club legends and 200 game players are either employed at the club or at other clubs.

McLeod - spoke out
Edwards - bad relationship and speaks out
Roo - board member
Hart - coach
Smart - executive
Goodwin - head coach of rival team
Bickley - media shill
Thompson - until recently coached at rival team
Rutten - about to be head coach of rival team
Bassett - coach at rival team
van Berlo - coach at rival team
Jameson - board member
Rehn - ???
Modra - involved with club's past players program
Jarman - ???
McDermott - involved with club's past players program
McGuinness - involved with club's past players program (?)

Who else do we want speaking out? Aside from a few premiership players that list is most of our major players
Matt Connell goddamitt!!! :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back