Mr. Blonde

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Just read on the AFL site that while McMahon was sh*tting on the Roos in the paper, a North official was on the phone to Essendon asking if there was anything he could do to help James Hird while he was in Perth.

In the headline of the article they call McMahon an embarrasment and wonder why he has to resort to such measures.

I hope he feels big now.

Beautiful.

Embarrassment for McMahon
4:23:38 PM Thu 9 May, 2002
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Essendon chairman Graeme McMahon’s negative comments about the future of the Kangaroos came at exactly the same time a senior Roos official was offering to provide help to the Bombers’ injured superstar James Hird.

The revelation is a major embarrassment for the outspoken Bombers’ boss who told the Herald-Sun he believed the Kangaroos would be lucky to survive in the AFL for the next three years.

However it has since been revealed that McMahon was making his prediction of doom and gloom for a rival club at the very same time a high-ranking Roos official was offering to spend time with Hird, who is still recuperating in Perth, during a visit he was making to the Western Australian capital this week ahead of the Roos’ match against West Coast at Subiaco on Sunday.

The official rang the office of Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson asking whether there was anything the Bombers would like him to take to Hird, who is still not allowed to fly home after the horrific injuries he suffered to his face during last week’s clash against Fremantle.

“I also offered to spend some time with James and just check in on him for them. It was all done in good faith,” the official said.

“And then we come out and see these damaging claims.”

The official also said he believed the comments reflected badly on McMahon’s reputation as one the AFL’s most powerful presidents.

“A true statesman does not make comments like that,” he said.

McMahon’s attitude towards the competition’s poorer clubs could not be in more stark contrast to that of another president of a powerful club in Collingwood’s Eddie McGuire.

McGuire recently was instrumental in helping the Western Bulldogs, who also targeted for criticism by McMahon, secure a major sponsor with the Bulldogs expected to thank him publicly prior to this week’s Bulldogs-Collingwood match at Colonial Stadium.

the senior official

the senior official was allen aylett - they've obviously updated the site.

what a prick.

why doesn't he concentrate on winning them another flag and then they can say they've had an era not the chokers they are at the moment.

this is a quick post so not considered enough to use the words i wanted to.

I can't imagine any of our officials ever getting on their soap box & speaking out about another club's business like the McMahons, Elliotts & Maguires of this world.

The cynic in me thinks that this is all good publicity for our game on May 31 a'la the marsh mallow incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back