freocynic

Team Captain
Apr 10, 2005
742 Evergreen Tce
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FREMANTLE FC
I cannot believe this guys is getting a game for us still!!!

He is not the type of player who is ever gonna get you into the finals, let alone win a flag, so please, Harvey, cut him loose. Last week his stats didn't look too bad - 13 disposals, 2 tackles, 2 behinds....not great stats but not bad.

But the stats don't tell the story of him twice shooting at goal from 30 metres out and kicking a behind. There were several handballs (that count as stats) that went to the opposition or to one of our guys under pressure. Also in the dying stages of a 1 point ball game he was 30-40m out and skyed the ball into the arms of an opponent. Jeez just have a f&*king shot - you should be able to kick a goal from there Macca. Take out his errors, and his stats look very poor.

He must be a really nice guy within the club because he keeps getting picked and Harvey seems to say things like he works really hard at training....Thats great, but he doesn't cut it on gameday. He was on the original list way back in 1995 and once was a servicable player. Never great, just average. Somehow a lot more talented players have come and gone and he has survived. He should have been gone probably five years ago.

In the event of nuclear war, only cockroaches and Shaun McManus will survive

I think if Macca had played for the Eagles he would enjoy a similar rep to someone like Mainwaring. Just run all day racking up ball, a few turnovers par for the course, wouldn't matter as he'd of been surrounded by more skilled players, heart and soul of the club, that kind of thing. Instead for his best years he was the best player in a mostly dreadful team and so stood out much more as did his errors.

My favourite story about Macca was told to me by a mate who was in the rooms after a loss in Melbourne. He said other players were laughing and talking about their stock portfolios while macca sat staring a wall, inconsolable about the loss.

2 knee recos, still running hard and giving his all every week. You couldn't ask for a better example to they young players in terms of dedication and heart.

While I find Macca frustrating I just think there are people getting paid good money to do nothing but think about what's the best team we can put out on the park every week and if they think Macca's in that team well then they know stuff we are not privy to about the players and the influence they have.

Macca is a club legend and deserves to go out on his own terms. Hopefully Harvey will keep him up to date on how he thinks he is going so Macca knows when the time is right.

Never seen a man bleed purple as much as Macca!

Cant have a midfield full of inexperienced midfielders

Plus im sure the main reason he is there is to show the young guys the type of heart/attitude needed every week.
If they can learn that from him it will be fantastic

I was as critical as any with his Cats game but to equate Macca with a cockroach is frankly disgraceful :thumbsdown:

His time has come to an end but he deserves to go out a hero of Freo to a resounding home crowd. He had his opportunities to go elsewhere but hung around. I wouldnt have blamed him. I agree EShed his skills were somewhat highlighted by Freo's media focus and you are right about if he had played for the Weevils. He would have got a couple premierships probably too and thats my regret that he wont get one for his sake - just hoping Pav gets one.

If he can instill the heart, passion and love for this club into the Palmers and Co he has done us a great service.

anyone who talks that negatively of macca is a disgrace to the purple, and most likely a fair-weather supporter who would be better suited following the mob up the road.

macca has his moments but over all his heart, effort and endeavour outway any mistakes he makes.

he is THE club legend and deserves more respect than being compared to a cockroach by some low life.

he has always led from the front, and was the clubs rock through the dark days when he fronted the media time after time as captain.

cheers to macca and may you have a great game this weekend to shove it up your knockers

Macca has always tried his guts out, granted his skills aren't as good as some of the first/second years but he tries and keeps trying.
The sad thing is he often finds himself in a possie to win the game, or the ball finds him, and usually can't ice it.
But, deserves to go out on his own terms I reckon !!!

I cannot believe this guys is getting a game for us still!!!

He is not the type of player who is ever gonna get you into the finals, let alone win a flag, so please, Harvey, cut him loose. Last week his stats didn't look too bad - 13 disposals, 2 tackles, 2 behinds....not great stats but not bad.

But the stats don't tell the story of him twice shooting at goal from 30 metres out and kicking a behind. There were several handballs (that count as stats) that went to the opposition or to one of our guys under pressure. Also in the dying stages of a 1 point ball game he was 30-40m out and skyed the ball into the arms of an opponent. Jeez just have a f&*king shot - you should be able to kick a goal from there Macca. Take out his errors, and his stats look very poor.

He must be a really nice guy within the club because he keeps getting picked and Harvey seems to say things like he works really hard at training....Thats great, but he doesn't cut it on gameday. He was on the original list way back in 1995 and once was a servicable player. Never great, just average. Somehow a lot more talented players have come and gone and he has survived. He should have been gone probably five years ago.

In the event of nuclear war, only cockroaches and Shaun McManus will survive

Freocynic eh how appropriate. Mate you aren't worthy to criticize people such as McManus, he has given everything and more for the Club.

He might of given everything and yes he does have a heart that bleeds purple but his days are numbered he should have retired at the end of last season.
Let him go out on his own is just holding the club back IMO we could be bleeding a future Freo legend for all we know but instead we stil have the error riddeled Mcmanus out there.
He costs us every game and frankly it is time to go Mcmanus. If he left last season he would of been known as the Freo heart and soul, ATM he is getting known as the Freo..............well he doesnt deserve that stuff typed about him. For the benifit of the FFC and yourself Macca hang the boots up mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with others, the Cockroach remark is extremely harsh.

I certainly wouldn't have him in my side for tomorrow's game though, and with Mayne, Black, Warnock, Head, Grover and Hayden possibly available for our next game Macca will have to play really well tomorrow to stay in the 22.

Depending on his form from here on a round 18 send off against the eagles would be quite fitting.

The coackroach tag is quite harsh to be honest :thumbsdown:

However, he definately has reaches his use by date.
Management are obviously very relunctant to let him know his time is up so maybe he needs to do it himself.

How much respect would he get from retiring now and doing the right thing...........as a Freo legend??

Ok, so the cockroach tag is quite harsh. I just thought it made a good thread title.

I acknowledge that McManus tries and tries his guts out, and he should be commended for that. But his skills are just not up to AFL standard. Not of a 200 game player. And his turnovers are costing us and have been costing us for a few years. And I would much rather see the likes of O'brien, Foster & Mayne in the team.

I would prefer to equate McManus with a white ant. Fair dinkum his appalling lack of skills and poise have undermined us for years. If we lose tomorrow ( God forbid ) you can be certain Captain Clanger will have played a key role in it. People say he bleeds purple but I am stretching to think of the last time he did something useful or inspirational. Its about time he put the cue in the rack and made way for the future. Like Mr Turnover - Shane Parker - mercifully did last year.

I actually think that comment is a testament to his ability to keep going and going and going and going... No matter what happens and what people say / write / think about him, he keeps on keeping on. ;)

I for one am looking forward to Macca's last game (must be a home game for two reasons).

1. He's past it.

2. He's a legend of the club and I want to cheer him off the ground one last time, like we did in his 200th game last year.

I think you'll find that he won't retire midseason - that's not a Macca thing to do - but he won't play a whole lot more games this year. But he will get his last game at home late in the year. :thumbsu:

Shaun McManus = a lot harder than people sitting in front of a computer. :cool:

Agree with others, the Cockroach remark is extremely harsh.

I certainly wouldn't have him in my side for tomorrow's game though, and with Mayne, Black, Warnock, Head, Grover and Hayden possibly available for our next game Macca will have to play really well tomorrow to stay in the 22.

Depending on his form from here on a round 18 send off against the eagles would be quite fitting.

Now that really would be something! A win against the old enemy and a send off for a true Freo legend.

It could only be topped by bringing Troy Cook out of retirement for one last game to play with Macca, now wouldn't that have the crowd going, cant help dreaming, love the way the cookie monster went about his footy. Going back to Lathlain Park soon to get another fix of the cookie monster.

My favourite story about Macca was told to me by a mate who was in the rooms after a loss in Melbourne. He said other players were laughing and talking about their stock portfolios while macca sat staring a wall, inconsolable about the loss.

See this tells me more about the Freo culture than anything. We have these players who turn up to some place at some time and know what they should be doing just to get their paycheck...

We have no culture besides losing and not playing to our potential. I hope Harvey or someone can figure out this mob before I ____ing die from old age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back