News McPherson and Worrell re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

McAsey is probably thinking that if he re-signs right now for a further two years that the club will immediately feel confident that he is locked in and will send him back to the SANFL for this year to find form and build confidence playing against fully grown men.. which is exactly what he needs..

The club is probably thinking that if they do send him back to play in the SANFL for the year that McAsey, and his parents, may take it as an insult and that the club doesnt rate him.. and it may result in him asking for a trade to a vic club willing to give him more opportunity to play AFL..

Its a bit of a sticky situation for both parties to be in at the moment.
I sincerely doubt that anyone at the club - coaches, players, or list managers - thinks there's any connection whatsoever between McAsey's contractual status and AFL vs SANFL selection. It's not a sticky situation, because it's a situtation which doesn't exist.

McAsey is probably thinking that if he re-signs right now for a further two years that the club will immediately feel confident that he is locked in and will send him back to the SANFL for this year to find form and build confidence playing against fully grown men.. which is exactly what he needs..

The club is probably thinking that if they do send him back to play in the SANFL for the year that McAsey, and his parents, may take it as an insult and that the club doesnt rate him.. and it may result in him asking for a trade to a vic club willing to give him more opportunity to play AFL..

Its a bit of a sticky situation for both parties to be in at the moment.

That would seem like a situation that could be pretty easily resolved with an honest conversation. If the club and players are tiptoeing around each other like that instead of just making their respective positions clear then we've got more problems than I thought. When McAsey (or any player) gets dropped, surely the coaches are giving them feedback on why and letting them know what they need to improve to get back in?

In any case, if a guy is fit and not getting a game at arguably the worst team in the comp, it's hard to see him finding it any easier to get a game at a better club (which is pretty much all of them), so I doubt opportunity is much of a carrot for any other team to dangle in front of him. More likely it would be the usual stuff that sends Vic players back there ie closer to home / family, more off-field earning potential etc

Priority signings:
Doedee
ROB
McAdam

Should get done during the year:
Butts
Gollant

Easy delistings:
Mackay
Stengle
Seedsman
Davis
Walker (retire)
Lynch (retire)

McAsey, Fog and Mrouch the interesting ones.
Doedee has stated several times now that he is staying, that one will get done with a minimum of fuss. Can’t imagine ROB going anywhere having secured the numbed one ruck spot.

Doedee has stated several times now that he is staying, that one will get done with a minimum of fuss. Can’t imagine ROB going anywhere having secured the numbed one ruck spot.

I could see Brisbane offering O’Brien a hefty deal, with the lure of immediate success.

Doedee has stated several times now that he is staying, that one will get done with a minimum of fuss.

I think so too, but him being signed up and back playing again will still be a big boost for the club and the supporters.

Noticed Moose has grown his “do”out over the summer. It’s a bit of a built in shock absorber by the looks of it. A handy genetic bonus for a footy player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He only wants a 2 year deal, very specifically said that. Takes him to FA which makes sense on his behalf.

Disappointing. If he's after 2 years and then another 5 years, I'd happily give him the 7 years right off the bat today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back