News McPherson and Worrell re-sign

Then you don't bother.

2 years of injury free footy and he'll get his deal.

How is signing for 2 years and then another 5 years if his body holds up, any different to a 7 year contract with incentives if he stays on the park?

Unless you are expecting to trade or delist him at the end of the 2 years?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
How is signing for 2 years and then another 5 years if his body holds up, any different to a 7 year contract with incentives if he stays on the park?

The difference would be for him.
He obviously believes he can get more and has confidence in his body.

May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide

You can be very hard to read at times, Hate giving a 5 year contract to our best player and two time AA who is actually durable, but happy to give someone that has played 30 games has been injured for 2 years a 7 year contract. I love Doedee, but that would be irresponsible until he’s shown some durability over these next two seasons.

You can be very hard to read at times, Hate giving a 5 year contract to our best player and two time AA who is actually durable, but happy to give someone that has played 30 games has been injured for 2 years a 7 year contract. I love Doedee, but that would be irresponsible until he’s shown some durability over these next two seasons.
I'd be hoping to get quite a favorable deal with my 7 year contract

In any case the original point was more being disappointed that we weren't going to give Doedee a long term deal but were happy to give Laird a contract that was too long. I would much rather give Doedee the longer contract than Laird.

As it turns out, Doedee wants to do the free agency play and see what he's worth after 2 years. Fair enough. But it would probably be better for us to just give him a fair deal now than wait until FA offers come in. After all, a mediocre player like Aidan Corr was offered a 5 year deal on decent coin and Doedee is miles better if he stays on the park. If we give him 7 years today with the right incentives we could be much better off than waiting 2 years and needing to stump up a 5 year deal then

If we give Laird a 5 year deal but not this guy I'll spew

Doedee has missed the last two seasons to injury. 2 years seems pretty reasonable for both parties here. Gives us an easy out if his body keeps failing.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Why would he even sign that ??

Why would he even sign that ??

Not sure, he clearly wants to bet that he will deliver in the next 2 years and drive his contract price up. I'd say it's in our best interests to avoid any FA deals and try sign him up for longer, earlier, on a lower rate. It's a risk but given the state of our list not a particularly large one

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints
If we're handing out 5 year deals to guys like Laird and (previously) Jenkins then a guy like Doedee deserves a 10 year contract

Two Three Four Five wrongs doesn't make a right.

Ah bugger it, I agree we seem to hand out 5 years deals like lollipops might as well give one to Doedee.

rocket18

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 9, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Goody Saints

I can see his point, give the 5 years deals to the younger players rather than as a gold watch to our senior players which we end up:
a. feeling obliged to pick them when they are well past it.
b. we move them on and have to pay them to play for another team
c. we want them off the list so we pay them not to play for us.

But the trouble is making the deal sweet enough for the younger player to agree to such a long deal.

We don't roll that way, other clubs can and do sign under 24's to five year deals, we like doing it with our 27/28 year olds.

I can see his point, give the 5 years deals to the youngers players rather than as a gold watch to our senior players which we end up:
a. feeling obliged to pick them when they are well past it.
b. we move them on and have to pay them to play for another team
c. we want them off the list so we pay them not to play for us.

But the trouble is making the deal sweet enough for the younger player to agree to such a long deal.

We don't roll that way, other clubs can and do sign under 24's to five year deals, we like doing it with our 27/28 year olds.

Cough Chayce Jones. Cough Wayne Milera.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good resigning but would rather these types of players get 4 or 5 years than Laird, Sloane, Milera. Now that I think about it we were stupid to effectively give Laird 6 years counting this year at 27. Hope we trade him at 30 or 31 at the latest. We need to show faith in our future by giving them more than 2 years. The important point is that you give long term deals to the right young players. Not Jones, McAsey, McHenry, Fogarty, Frampton, Milera. Even Doedee I wouldn't give anymore than 2 as he is injury prone. Would give long term deals to ROB, Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Himmelberg, Worrell, McPherson, Sholl, Pedlar, Berry, McAdam. This is the nucleus of our future. If they aren't the nucleus of our future we are effectively screwed. Longer term deals work out better in the long run as opposed to 2 years and then double the money in another 2 years after they have performed.

The contracts to Sloane, Milera, Smith, Brown and Laird will be a millstone around our neck for years to come. I'm sure Walker and Lynch would be sniffing around for a contract extension as well. It's also imperative we offer Crouch no more than 2 years but I would be trading him regardless.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
McPherson would still have queries regarding injury, Worrell is untried.

Silly to suggest a long term extension

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Good resigning but would rather these types of players get 4 or 5 years than Laird, Sloane, Milera. Now that I think about it we were stupid to effectively give Laird 6 years counting this year at 27. Hope we trade him at 30 or 31 at the latest. We need to show faith in our future by giving them more than 2 years. The important point is that you give long term deals to the right young players. Not Jones, McAsey, McHenry, Fogarty, Frampton, Milera. Even Doedee I wouldn't give anymore than 2 as he is injury prone. Would give long term deals to ROB, Schoenberg, Thilthorpe, Himmelberg, Worrell, McPherson, Sholl, Pedlar, Berry, McAdam. This is the nucleus of our future. If they aren't the nucleus of our future we are effectively screwed. Longer term deals work out better in the long run as opposed to 2 years and then double the money in another 2 years after they have performed.

The contracts to Sloane, Milera, Smith, Brown and Laird will be a millstone around our neck for years to come. I'm sure Walker and Lynch would be sniffing around for a contract extension as well. It's also imperative we offer Crouch no more than 2 years but I would be trading him regardless.
Players of their ages and experience would be pretty dumb to sign long term deals. They'd cost themselves a stack of money

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I saw enough of McPherson last season to be optimistic about him with this signing but I'm curious why so many on this board are so bullish about Worrell??? What is this based on?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I saw enough of McPherson last season to be optimistic about him with this signing but I'm curious why so many on this board are so bullish about Worrell??? What is this based on?
Pre draft most of us draft watchers had him around the top 20.

Guy can play anywhere, tall, quick and athletic. Reads to ball very well.

Alwaysacrow

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pre draft most of us draft watchers had him around the top 20.

Guy can play anywhere, tall, quick and athletic. Reads to ball very well.
Okay. I've never been much of a draft watcher but I'm glad about this signing. What draft pick did we get Worrell at?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd be hoping to get quite a favorable deal with my 7 year contract

In any case the original point was more being disappointed that we weren't going to give Doedee a long term deal but were happy to give Laird a contract that was too long. I would much rather give Doedee the longer contract than Laird.

As it turns out, Doedee wants to do the free agency play and see what he's worth after 2 years. Fair enough. But it would probably be better for us to just give him a fair deal now than wait until FA offers come in. After all, a mediocre player like Aidan Corr was offered a 5 year deal on decent coin and Doedee is miles better if he stays on the park. If we give him 7 years today with the right incentives we could be much better off than waiting 2 years and needing to stump up a 5 year deal then
a 7 year deal to a guy who has played 30 games and huge injury history...do you think that's good list management?

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

So your saying give a long term deal to Josh Worrell, Sam Berry and Luke Pedlar 6m after joining the club - but you wouldn't have given Jones, McHenry, Fogarty, McAsey who were all first round picks the same deal at the same time?

How do you explain that?

Back