McVeigh...

Remove this Banner Ad

Anton Grbac

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2001
Any thoughts on McVeigh's game? I thought he was terrific. Bit quieter after half time, but his first half was great. All in all a good team effort and great start to the year.

where's wally?

From the 3LO call that I heard (YESSS!!!!) it sounded like he was in everything in the 1st half - great and unexpected news as I think bomber folk expected McGrath to be the next big thing midfield wise.

I know sheeds likes him as a go-wise, heard type which is fine by me.

I thought Mc Veigh played a good game, was also happy with big Stevie, thought he showed a lot of improvement, Caracella was excellent & Barney 4 goals again, unbelievable. I don't know what happened to Pickett last night, I know he usually is a rough player but last night he must have had white line fever, very costly for the roos & what about Abrahams shirt front on Hird, if Hird is soft what does that make Abrahams.
biggrin.gif

Anyway well done Bombers good to see a win & shut up all those people who had written us off before the season even started.

------------------
RED & BLACK, THE COLOURS OF FENG SHUI

Originally posted by The Dutchman!:

From the 3LO call that I heard (YESSS!!!!) it sounded like he was in everything in the 1st half - great and unexpected news as I think bomber folk expected McGrath to be the next big thing midfield wise.

I know sheeds likes him as a go-wise, heard type which is fine by me.

Think Sheeds'll use him as the 'go-with' player this year, much the same as he's done with Blumfield and Heffernan in recent seasons. I reckon you'll find him pickin'up the oppostions 'gun' mid-fielder every week, which should fast track his 'education' like it did with the above mentioned.

If McVeigh can perform in this role, it could be a chance to free up and give Heffernan a more attacking role when he comes back.

where's wally?

i think mcveigh has found his groove, probably didnt have the makings of a forward which is where he played alot of his footy at essendon
played in the midfield most games this year and has shown he is ready to and will take the next step
he was very impressive when the game was there to be won

I didn't rate McVeigh until the pre-season this year. Now I think he has potential to be a very good player for us as he was last night. I think you are right, he will be used as a run with player.

I think last night was McVeigh's coming out party....I was at the game and I was sitting on that side of the oval so I got a good look at him most of the night - he got around quite well. Always seemed to be involved in the action.

With our loss of four "depth" players over the off-season (Bewick, Denham, Prior and Berbakov) it is vitally important that players like McVeigh step up to fill the void. With the loss of those 4 players, I honestly believe there could be problems if injuries were to befall us (touch wood). McVeigh played superbly last night. Now if only McAllister and Bolton can make an impact.

Thought I'd just resurect this topic rather than start one under the same name.

I thought McVeigh was absolutely sensational last night. Showed class, pace, guts and never stopped trying. He seems to have a whole new attitude. I think he could have been right amongst the votes had sheedy given him more time on the field.

McVeigh has shown enough in the first two games that he will probably be a regular selection in the seniors this year.

One observation though, he doesn't like his right foot too much, he can kick with his right but will do everything possible to try and get onto his left. Maybe could use a little more work on this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by windyhill:
Absolutely,the Essendon supporters who bagged him continuously last year have fallen into their holes.How could they not see the boys class.

Well I din't bag him to much, though I did question his style last year. It seemed last year to me like he was trying to be too fancy with the ball, obviously this year he has matured alot and learned from it as well, which is great to see.

------------------
The Dons - EFC Online Fanzine

I've gone to both matches now and McVeigh was a clear standout in both. Very impressive.

Even my girlfriend, normally not big on footy, has taken an interest in watching McVeigh closely. At first it was because he is #10, and I have #10 on my jumper (more because Coleman wore it than anything) but his play has really stood out to us both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back