MDFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Pugz89

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Moyston beat the Demons! Maybe they are the real deal?
Few scuffles as well, as usual with the Demons when they are behind on the scoreboard.

Losing to the Magpies on the weekend sets them back a bit now though.

Tatty building nicely into some strong form going into finals and could be one to keep an eye on also.

What's the latest word on what happened to Billy Laurie from the Pumas in the 2nd Semi?

The story I heard is the boys in blue will be (are) getting involved. The Addy hinted at it a few weeks ago, but nothing since?

Lismore Derrinallum Demons too good! Premiers 2017. Interesting to see Leigh S nooks back at the club. Gun but old. :)

What's the latest word on what happened to Billy Laurie from the Pumas in the 2nd Semi?

The story I heard is the boys in blue will be (are) getting involved. The Addy hinted at it a few weeks ago, but nothing since?
Ended up with concussion, club was not happy. Not sure on any potential involvement from outside forces though.

Back in the 80s, the area the league covered was from Hawkedale right up to Tatyoon, both ways. Since then, towns like McCarther, Lismore, and Great Western have teams in this Mininera comp, therefore the traveling is very distant. Must draw the line the size of the area the comp covers. Admitting Smythesdale in the Mininera comp is taking it way 2 far. The Southern/Western clubs would have to travel 2 hours to go to Smythesdale, and vise versa. In the future, more teams could come in, and the comp could stretch from Heywood area right till Maryborough. That's why we must draw the line now, by not admitting Smythesdale in. Mininera comp has always been greedy for wanting to have many clubs as possible, for many decades. I know from experience, if your club wants to go into another comp, they will put up a huge fight to stop your club moving comps. With Smythesdale, coming our way will not be the long term solution of survival. Only hope for them is to merge with another club in the Central Highlands League. But there might not be any clubs available to merge with them.

Smythesdale was rejected I see. Was it even close?

They have been on the slide since the Lexton Plains comp disbanded and it seems logical that this is the end of the road as a single entity. Unfortunately, they won't be the last club to struggle and then fall but a touch of realism needs to come to the situation and they need to swallow their pride and merge with another club to keep their heritage alive.

Has the 2019 fixture been released yet?

was released during the week, well I got the caramut fixtures from facebook, so assuming the whole fixture has been done and should be on mdfl page

Attachments

• 2019 mdfl fixture.jpg
    2019 mdfl fixture.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 196

Great Western delivered one of the biggest defeats seen in Victorian football on Saturday.
The Lions booted a stunning 79.41 (515) to beat Mininera and District league rivals Ararat Eagles, which managed just one major for the afternoon.
Gerrard Cunningham kicked 21 goals for the winners, while Steven Lorenzo booted 16.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feeling for the Eagles. Fact is Taty, Eagles, Moyston and Great Western can’t all be sustained by Ararat. Players just move between clubs and often to whoever is going well or offering coin. Moyston and Eagles getting flogged. Changes are coming in the South West.

A hard result for any football fan to see; kudos to those Eagles players who are sticking it out.

Surely there's enough clubs in that league to keep it going for a while yet though? Or are a lot of teams struggling? What's the longest travel distance in this league (my background is HDFL and WFL so I'm not really sure).

H
Big signings for the Eagles with Tarau and McRoberts joining. Good to see

Hey Guys not much happening on here for long time just wondering if any thoughts if Eagles can continue on improvements forms this crazy year would be good to see

And no are not local just intrigued love to see struggling clubs in any league improving

H

Hey Guys not much happening on here for long time just wondering if any thoughts if Eagles can continue on improvements forms this crazy year would be good to see

And no are not local just intrigued love to see struggling clubs in any league improving
While I definitely agree that a resurgence would be great, it's too hard to predict with present uncertainty.

Rankings pre the start of the season

Woorndoo - haven’t won a flag since ‘72 probably would have one the last 2
Ararat Eagles - building
Tatyoon - recruited well but ageing group
Great Western - reigning champs
Glenthompson / Dunkeld - solid

Moyston / Willaura - always competitive
Penshurst - hard to know but always competitive
Lismore / Derrinallum - always put up a fight

Caramut
Hawkesdale/ MacArthur
SMW Rovers (these 4 are in massive trouble)
Wickliffe / Lake Bolac

Combined winning margins over 750 points for six games, Lismore Derri have won by 250+ the past two weeks. Genuine concerns for the viability of the two sides they’ve beaten, possibly bigger concerns for the region as the number of kids decline and juniors become more centralised to the bigger towns - bottom line no one lives in these towns and there are certainly not enough kids

Hi again guys why the 2 forfeits last week Covid related was it or other reasons
Also any predictions on premiers and future of league
Both forfeited due to Covid both sides played each other the week before

At this early stage only 4 can win it

Ararat Eagles
Lismore/ Derrinallum
Tatyoon
Woorndoo

As to the future of the league…I’d suggest to you that it is bleak.

No one lives in the majority of these towns / localities.

Effectively you have;

Tatyoon
Great Western
Moyston Willaura
Ararat Eagles

All coming out of Ararat

SMW Rovers
Lismore Derrinallum

Come out of Ballarat

Wickliffe Lake Bolac

Come out of Geelong

Woorndoo

Get a lot out of Camperdown

Caramut
Hawkesdale MacArthur
Penshurst

Come out of Warrnambool

Glenthompson Dunkeld

Come out of Hamilton

Caramut & Moyston Willaura are in serious trouble, but effectively so are a minimum 3-4 others. Covid and increasing fuel prices have meant that it’s a perfect storm, low player numbers, low volunteers and more importantly low crowds and low community interest.

There has been a review called for the region but I reckon it’s probably a bit too late for a few. There is some talk of some of the western end clubs heading back to the South West league but that would leave a few in a mess. Travel is massive in this league and I’m sure 2022 will be the last for a few and at an extreme level could be the end of the league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back