Tasmania Meanwhile in Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

How much money do you think the AFL generates from your games on 7Mate? GWS wouldn't come remotely close in terms of generating enough broadcasting revenue to justify it's license at present. My club is a relatively small, but our small number of games broadcast to the primary channel in Melbourne greatly surpass all the games GWS, Swans, Brisbane and Gold Coast get on the budget channels.

If the AFL distributed broadcasting revenue based on how it was funded, the vast majority of the revenue would go to Victoria.

The point of expansion is a long term investment, the hope that one day it will return on that investment, until that point of time, it is a drain on the remaining competition. The problem with Tasmania is that it's advertising market is poor, that doesn't make their ratings valuable, they have a small population base which is stagnant and the government doesn't estimate it will improve long-term. The financial outlook of the state is poor, they would need to charge a premium for membership to survive, much like Geelong charges a mint, if the state is in disarray then you diminish the pool of people that would be willing to pay a premium.

Expansion costs the players money, the more the revenue pool is divided amongst clubs, the harder it is for all the clubs to remain profitable, the more clubs that struggle to keep afloat, the harder it is for the players to earn a fair proportion of the revenue generated.

We have to fix the remaining problems in the AFL and wait until the AFL can easily afford to bring in another lame duck without hurting the rest of the competition and the players.
My post answers yours in the last sentence. Issue is the reaon for tje AFL's existence

Would depend on the break even. I'd assume it's below that

It's just a dangerous assumption to make. I don't think any decision maker would run with it. Would be poor risk analysis to assume if the club turned into Melbourne of 5 years ago that they'd still sell out crowds

15-20k at the MCG would mean a loss on the game. 15-20k at Boot or Spark Park makes good coin. Its about the relative costs of operation.
If ever a Tas team I'd expect stadium expansion to 25k pretty quickly. Crowds 15-25k. Still make money on Freo etc at 15k. Certainly max out with the more popular clubs. Footy tourism would boom, both ways.

I wouldn't mate. The same two posters in here attacked me for the point that "tassie SHOULD have a team in the future, but doesn't currently because it won't make the AFL money". I get they're emotionally invested, but they aren't up for discussing it. I mean even when a tasmanian disagrees with them, they say he's copped too many hits to the head.

Oh mate don't be so prescious - others are allowed to have an opinion other than yours.

Move on

Oh mate don't be so prescious - others are allowed to have an opinion other than yours.

Move on
Huh? That's literally what I was saying the issue was. You're agreeing with what I'm saying.
Jesus Christ.

Huh? That's literally what I was saying the issue was. You're agreeing with what I'm saying.
Jesus Christ.

You are the one firing up - chill mate

Yep we are invested in how badly the AFL has treated Tas that is a given! If Melbourne were about to be told they would not play next year how would you react.

You have not been treated badly - if you think so I apologise, this is a discussion about Tas in the AFL

I think you've missed the point, again.
My point was that last thread on this, two certain users got very pissy and attacked me for opposing their opinion.
One of those posters then said people are allowed an opinion
I think you two have missed the point (although it's not surprising the same two posters are taking issue with me)

You are the one firing up - chill mate

Yep we are invested in how badly the AFL has treated Tas that is a given! If Melbourne were about to be told they would not play next year how would you react.

You have not been treated badly - if you think so I apologise, this is a discussion about Tas in the AFL
wasn't in this thread mate. Was in the last

I said there was heavy emotional investment from the tassie side, and tried to explain the reasons that other areas got sides. I got ripped into for it. Apparently saying people are emotionally invested was some sort of insult back then

I said there was heavy emotional investment from the tassie side, and tried to explain the reasons that other areas got sides. I got ripped into for it. Apparently saying people are emotionally invested was some sort of insult back then

Perhaps complain on that thread then.
I hope you aren't just being a bit too emotional about some robust discussion. Some of us have put with some really childish jibes which they think passes for 'discussion', over the journey.

Yes - understand your others did not agree with your explanation!

Totally understand why the AFL has invested in the GWS and GC as has been stated multiple times ....no problem with that.

The problem is that Tas has been absolutely shafted

Perhaps complain on that thread then.
I hope you aren't just being a bit too emotional about some robust discussion. Some of us have put with some really childish jibes which they think passes for 'discussion', over the journey.
I enjoyed the discussion, as I have for the most part of this thread. It was when the sads got cracked because I said (numerous times) that Tasmania should get a team next expansion, but the business reasons behind them not currently make sense, and that some posters are too emotionally invested to see this, that it became an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes - understand your others did not agree with your explanation!

Totally understand why the AFL has invested in the GWS and GC as has been stated multiple times ....no problem with that.

The problem is that Tas has been absolutely shafted
There could be arguments made that a lot of people nation wide have been shafted. Looking at it that way doesn't really help, if people feel so strongly they need to hit the afl in their pocket. I don't think bigfooty is representative of a lot of people out there, it tends to be the most passionate.

I'd love to see the nt and tassie both get a team, but currently it's not in the business climate for such. It'll change down the track.

There could be arguments made that a lot of people nation wide have been shafted. Looking at it that way doesn't really help, if people feel so strongly they need to hit the afl in their pocket. I don't think bigfooty is representative of a lot of people out there, it tends to be the most passionate.

I'd love to see the nt and tassie both get a team, but currently it's not in the business climate for such. It'll change down the track.
Perhaps you might tell me which areas have been shafted & for how long.
Over the last 30 years, do you think the business climate has always been against it? What sort of business climate would allow a Tassie team do you think?

move on mate we disagree but that is fine - another poster reckons his point of view is stronger by a poll on big footy

I know the economics of a team here in Tas would work (as the Gemba report clarifies); sponsors / membership etc ready to go

A team here would work and it would be sustainable

I hate the fact that Tasmania has thrown a s..t load of money to the AFL ie propping up both North and Hawthorn (watch out here come there supporters) but have no dollars or investment come back this way

I have no problem with you thinking a team in Tasmania is sustainable good luck to you but equating Tas to the NT does not help with that point of view just silly.

Perhaps you might tell me which areas have been shafted & for how long.
Over the last 30 years, do you think the business climate has always been against it? What sort of business climate would allow a Tassie team do you think?
Another market cutting into the afls earnings in the territory, loss of government support, a population boom, major growing economy
Plenty of places are shafted, country areas, nt are good examples.

move on mate we disagree but that is fine - another poster reckons his point of view is stronger by a poll on big footy

I know the economics of a team here in Tas would work (as the Gemba report clarifies); sponsors / membership etc ready to go

A team here would work and it would be sustainable

I hate the fact that Tasmania has thrown a s..t load of money to the AFL ie propping up both North and Hawthorn (watch out here come there supporters) but have no dollars or investment come back this way

I have no problem with you thinking a team in Tasmania is sustainable good luck to you but equating Tas to the NT does not help with that point of view just silly.
Wait, do you want me to respond or not? Why quote me if you're telling me to move on?

That's fine that the report said that (it's already been discussed), the economy could probably sustain a Perth team, a third sa team. Is there enough growth there to justify it before other markets?

Huh? So why rely on what you're relying on? Why don't NT deserve a team?

Like the AFL paying for a clubs coach?
Sorry, can you point to how that relates to my post. Or are you just being a smart arse about Roos?

Tassie will get a team when the NRL start looking to base a team there, so years away.
Or a league. I think the AFL is becoming more worried about a league now.

Or a league. I think the AFL is becoming more worried about a league now.
Not in Tassie though, it'll be AFL & NRL first.

The people from the hills won't have a bar of soccer.

The interesting words being 'would consider'. How many actually WOULD?

In 2008, The Tas government tried to prove their case, so like most government programs, they decided their position, and then gathered 'evidence' to support it. You can bet the questions were phrased to elicit the right response, and they probably surveyed people at football grounds on a Saturday afternoon to ensure they got the right demographic to back their case. (OK. it probably wasn't quite that obvious, but all concerned would have known they were getting paid to ensure they got the right answer).

It's like the Vic government's business case for the F1 GP...lots of rubbery figures that, optimistically interpreted, squeeze out the 'right' answer (e.g. Did you know that people in other countries watching the GP in Melbourne generates so much good will towards the city/state it's worth Millions? Must be true, it's in the report! ).
More accurately, they hired Deloittes to do it, an internationally renowned firm famous for doing things like this the right way...

Great story you tell, but when you think about it, do you really think the AFL would listen to the Tasmanian Government if they came up and said they'd done their own report...? They needed to be taken seriously by a totally hostile audience who'd already laughed them off the stage before (Fitzpatrick famously when smashed on white wine at a function), so they brought in some special guests...it was like the nerdy kid drawn to do an oral presentation on elite sport in class turning up with Usain Bolt...

Who the #### would want to go and live and play in Tasmania?

Seriously. It will never happen. Ever.

I would live there and play for Tassie. Id be cheap too so you can shove the economics.

Just imagine Tassie Vs Brisbane nailbiters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back