Tasmania Meanwhile in Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think quite a decent number of people would prefer to live in Hobart over Adelaide and Western Sydney.

Besides under the draft rules you dont exactly have a choice do you? Not only that but given Tas produces so many footballers one would think quite a few of them would be happy to stay in Tasmania

Non issue.

Very good point madmug. Tas is very easy to get to from Melbourne where most teams are. Also direct flights to Sydney.
You know no GWS players actually live in Western Sydney, right?

These things are partly cyclical. Even the big Draft changes in player types & quality from year to year. Listening to some AFLTas talk about it. They seem to think the next group coming through will have some good AFL meat market prospects in it.
The biggest thing to note is that over the last few years the funding for development has been largely directed at NSW/QLD. Having 4 AFL clubs rather than just money hungry flyin clubs has hugely benefited the game & development in those areas.

So many punters would rather 'criticize' Tasmania per se without looking sensibly at the real reasons why things like this happen. The new AFLTas chief seems to understand this aspect of Tas footy. However the problems are more than just development money. We keep losing players to better funded 2nd tear competitions. One would think they'd develop their own kids, but no. AFL & poker machine money seems to make them lazy & they'd rather pick the better younger players from here. Thus its a big problem for the state league here.
What state leagues and clubs? I don't think I know of any Tasmanian at mine?

Poker machine money also has very little relevance to state leagues. (It also destroyed one club almost single handedly)

I think you should look at SANFL, VFL & NEAFL clubs. Pokies keep a lot of them afloat.
Frankston lost 700k in them and casey almost became bankrupt from them...

Werribee? Port? SANFL, NEAFL clubs
Literally can't find anything on either. I know weribee have a club, but I thought it was just a sports bar

Pokies are evil

Tas do not need them to be in the AFL
Eh. No more evil than any other vice. Sports betting will take over it soon.

I can tell you most clubs in those leagues rely on them. They also get a decent coin from the AFL.
Werribee have certainly been chasing players, NEAFL clubs like Redlands & Aspley.
As I said. Can't find anything
Casey don't. Frankston sold theirs and I can't find anything about other clubs doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talk about Tasmania as if it were a cbd area.

No, no we don't. Just about everyone recognizes that Tasmania is a very unique situation population wise.

There simply isn't the economy, the people or density to support an AFL side and nor is there the growth to foresee when it will have.

I refer you to post 50 before continuing on this thread.

No, no we don't. Just about everyone recognizes that Tasmania is a very unique situation population wise.

I refer you to post 50 before continuing on this thread.

there is no chance of 100,000 members.

Collingwood isn't in Tasmania.

When the Crows were formed they had the biggest average attendances in the league day dot.

Tas could pull 25,000 in Hobart straight up in a good stadia.
In year one, then the novelty wears off, people stop travelling, and crowds dip to 20k.
But crowds aren't the issue. Clubs survive on the second and third tier sponsorships, and Tasmania doesn't have the decision makers to make investing in tens of thousands of dollars per game in corporate boxes etc worthwhile. Cadbury has its factory in Hobart, but the people that run the show - and their main buyers and clients - are in Sydney and Melbourne. Similar with Boags, Cascade, etc. They would put a little money in, but nowhere near enough. There is a reason that Tas, ACT and NT combined account for under 1% of all advertising (or did last time I saw figures 2-3 years ago), the markets are not big enough for big corporations to care about them.

Even the much vaunted Mars money was bogus, it came hours after the Mercury reported the Tas govt had conceded they weren't getting a licence. It was a great con job, announcing money they knew they would never have to pay. Great marketing, but that's all.

Bringing Fitzroy back to the AFL and promoting Port Melbourne probably makes more financial sense, despite bugger all supporter base, than introducing Tassie. None of those are going to happen. Four WA teams almost certainly will - although it could be some time off, the AFL may well wait until the media market changes (mass media ownership rule changes, and a more predictable online environment) are bedded down before making any further decisions.

In year one, then the novelty wears off, people stop travelling, and crowds dip to 20k.
But crowds aren't the issue. Clubs survive on the second and third tier sponsorships, and Tasmania doesn't have the decision makers to make investing in tens of thousands of dollars per game in corporate boxes etc worthwhile. Cadbury has its factory in Hobart, but the people that run the show - and their main buyers and clients - are in Sydney and Melbourne. Similar with Boags, Cascade, etc. They would put a little money in, but nowhere near enough. There is a reason that Tas, ACT and NT combined account for under 1% of all advertising (or did last time I saw figures 2-3 years ago), the markets are not big enough for big corporations to care about them.

Even the much vaunted Mars money was bogus, it came hours after the Mercury reported the Tas govt had conceded they weren't getting a licence. It was a great con job, announcing money they knew they would never have to pay. Great marketing, but that's all.

Bringing Fitzroy back to the AFL and promoting Port Melbourne probably makes more financial sense, despite bugger all supporter base, than introducing Tassie. None of those are going to happen. Four WA teams almost certainly will - although it could be some time off, the AFL may well wait until the media market changes (mass media ownership rule changes, and a more predictable online environment) are bedded down before making any further decisions.

The con job is the AFL itself.
Where do GC get any such sporsorship, Seaworld? What about Geelong? I mean give me a break. Any game is a tv promotion. We also have international companies sponsor clubs & have SFA offices in the country.
Anyway we know the Gument would give good support as a major plank for tourism & cover stadium costs. People here in small/medium businesses would add support as they want football as much as people who would buy ordinary memberships.

Lol Fitzroy could only attract 6-8,000 against interstate clubs in Victoria.

Meanwhile Tas has a captive population of 500,000.

Just thinking, doesn't the Hurricanes Big Bash team get regular sellouts in Hobart? I'd say Tassie are more into their Footy than Cricket. Play half of their Home games at Blundstone and the other half at Aurora and it could probably work.

Po

Port Melbourne? Would not have 1000 supporters. Vermont are much bigger. If you want to be rediculous, let's promote them.
Tasmania would be bigger than GC and GWS day 1 and it would grow is one by one Tasmanians drop their current club.
Would draw decent away crowds as well. There are tens of thousand of ex-pats in Melbourne and other cities.

You know no GWS players actually live in Western Sydney, right?

Its hardly unforeseeable that the club as per many EPL clubs makes them live close to the training ground.

People talk about Tasmania as if it were a cbd area. There simply isn't the economy, the people or density to support an AFL side and nor is there the growth to foresee when it will have.

Irrelevant argument. With the right stadium deal you can make as much with 20k attendance as say 45k at Etihad.

As for support, i think you are way off track. If its a real Tasmanian team not a transplanted one then it would get massive support not only in Tasmania but from Tasmanians living on the mainland (and there are plenty of them).

A Tasmanian team would likely be far more financially viable than a number of other teams.

So many punters would rather 'criticize' Tasmania per se without looking sensibly at the real reasons why things like this happen. The new AFLTas chief seems to understand this aspect of Tas footy.

Its almost incomprehensible how badly football has been run in Tasmania. Sure live AFL hasnt helped but its been a trainwreck for a long time now. The finger often gets pointed at one bloke but I suspect there are plenty to blame. Probably a fair argument that AFLTas gets its act together before they can be considered for a team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back