Tasmania Meanwhile in Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Me neither, but total crowds is not dependent on big clubs doing well. The figures show that

the figures show nothing of the kind. The figures show they held steady despite the big 4 clubs having smaller attendances this year. When in form there will be an increase. We have over a hundred years of data that confirms this, not just a single year of fixture adjustment.

Me neither, but total crowds is not dependent on big clubs doing well. The figures show that

So tell me...If Collingwood and North swapped results last year, and nothing else changed, do you think the crowds would have been higher or lower for the season as a whole?

No point arguing mate. We both know we are righr

You arent. Take the Bombers for example. Essendons crowds dropped by 11,000 in 2015. No idea why that could have been. Im sure that wont change at all once they have their full team on the park again.

Bulldogs commentates with rocking crowds. North is a furphy by you

Bulldogs crowds went up 7,000 last year on the back of good fixturing, but more importantly good form. That form goes away and it wont matter when they are fixtured the crowds will dwindle. its worth noting that the crowd average this year is almost the same as it was twhen the Dogs made a good run in 2010, and less than the 2009 average.

What was the average overall?

???

You mean, did they average more when you include the grand final? Well, yes, without even looking, I'm pretty sure they did.

But as I don't know exactly what you do and don't want included, why don't you do your own research?

Tim Lane in the Fairfax Press:
So, bear with me as I measure out the long run.

If there was a ringing sound at AFL headquarters following the recent confluence of Tasmanian events, one would hope it was that of alarm bells. For the latest draft result isn't a one-off accident; it's the culmination of years of administrative neglect and failure.

Tassie has always been too hard for the AFL. What initiatives it has put into effect have never gone beyond what is convenient for the league and its clubs. The needs of Tasmania itself have scarcely been a secondary priority.
Football in the state has been in a downward spiral for years.

There is more:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-getting-round-to-dealing-with-footy-in-tassie-20161203-gt38n7.html

Wonder if Tim thinks he is on his own, does anyone at AFL House care?

Tim Lane in the Fairfax Press:
So, bear with me as I measure out the long run.

If there was a ringing sound at AFL headquarters following the recent confluence of Tasmanian events, one would hope it was that of alarm bells. For the latest draft result isn't a one-off accident; it's the culmination of years of administrative neglect and failure.

Tassie has always been too hard for the AFL. What initiatives it has put into effect have never gone beyond what is convenient for the league and its clubs. The needs of Tasmania itself have scarcely been a secondary priority.
Football in the state has been in a downward spiral for years.

There is more:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-getting-round-to-dealing-with-footy-in-tassie-20161203-gt38n7.html

Wonder if Tim thinks he is on his own, does anyone at AFL House care?

Well, I think they would care but I think tims analysis is a bit simplistic. Australia has "put on" over 7million people since 1990 with less than 1 percent of that going to Tasmania. I suspect Tasmania has "greyed" disproportionately over the same period. Participation and quality has improved enormously in nsw and qld who produced 15 (almost 20%) of the draftees in 2016

Well, I think they would care but I think tims analysis is a bit simplistic. Australia has "put on" over 7million people since 1990 with less than 1 percent of that going to Tasmania. I suspect Tasmania has "greyed" disproportionately over the same period. Participation and quality has improved enormously in nsw and qld who produced 15 (almost 20%) of the draftees in 2016

Yeah, i'm surprised Lane didn't even mention the population side of things. In 1960 WA had roughly twice the population of Tassie. Now it's nearly 5 times. Never mind the number of clubs in the top tier was much greater back then, so Tasmanians would have found it a lot easier to get a gig in the VFL back then.
Lane talks as if it's some sort of conspiracy - it's a matter of simple statistics.

Yeah, i'm surprised Lane didn't even mention the population side of things. In 1960 WA had roughly twice the population of Tassie. Now it's nearly 5 times. Never mind the number of clubs in the top tier was much greater back then, so Tasmanians would have found it a lot easier to get a gig in the VFL back then.
Lane talks as if it's some sort of conspiracy - it's a matter of simple statistics.

Would that include the statistic that Perth has more than 40% the population of Melbourne/geelong, but only 20% the number of teams.?
Also, how much of the large immigrant growth in Melbourne has transferred into memberships & attendances to games in Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a mess. Forget your raw demographics - Tasmania has more Australian football fans than West Sydney. If the state was given equity alongside West Sydney and Qld, you would find they'd pump out the draft picks to suit. The problem is that my home state also considers itself domestically a power in the game and worthy of top tier status - which was officially the case up until shortly before the advent of the national league, and realistically more of an honourable fourth sort of thing. We don't want our footy to be merely a draft vehicle, because thousands should be turning up to watch TFL teams go at each other in time honoured grudges, not blooding kids in state colours (that horrific loss to Victoria five years ago is arguably one of the state's blackest days in footy) because it's the only way scouts will get to watch them play. But at the same time, if they aren't hosting a home grown AFL side and demanding an academy, and they are only the size of a decent mainland country region in Aussie Rules heartland, then where do they go?

Without the supply lines of an easily driven highway to the city, like arteries to a beating heart, they become like any other tourniqued appendage...hopefully we don't end up black and amputated...

I heard a little whisper the AFL will go back to having a full times Mariners team again, reducing the TSL to regional football & starting a VFL team again.
Its just a rumour I know. But if true, its back to the future, again. It would confirm they have no idea what to do.
Mariners/Devils was started by the AFL & destroyed by the AFL.
I find it difficult to understand why they would repeat the whole mess again. I dont see the Mariners helping state football, it didnt before. A lot of kids dropped out of the game after the experience. A VFL team would hardly attract a crowd like it did originally. The public have moved on. Even the AFL are moving on from the VFL it seems.

Tim lane's article was brilliant

They should merge the Queensland teams and then give the spare license to Tasmania

Hobart is a much better place for a team than the Gold Coast !!

Would that include the statistic that Perth has more than 40% the population of Melbourne/geelong, but only 20% the number of teams.?
Also, how much of the large immigrant growth in Melbourne has transferred into memberships & attendances to games in Melbourne?

Not sure your point, we're talking primarily about playing numbers.

Not sure your point, we're talking primarily about playing numbers.

I think others may get my point.

Anyway, if the AFL spent as much pro rata on junior development in Victoria, NSW & Qld, as they have done here, how do you think that would affect the numbers & quality of players getting to draft standard?
Opportunity makes a big difference to ones chances of getting drafted. Lack of funding limits opportunity.

Anyway, if the AFL spent as much pro rata on junior development in Victoria, NSW & Qld, as they have done here, how do you think that would affect the numbers & quality of players getting to draft standard?
Opportunity makes a big difference to ones chances of getting drafted. Lack of funding limits opportunity.

We all know that the AFL is spending up big in NSW/ACT and Qld on school Auskick and comps and via the academies but they justify this on the basis of these areas having 54% of Australia's population. However, do you have any evidence they are spending less per capita in Tasmania rather than Victoria?

What are the figures then?

Genuine question, as I really don't know.

I heard a little whisper the AFL will go back to having a full times Mariners team again, reducing the TSL to regional football & starting a VFL team again.
Its just a rumour I know. But if true, its back to the future, again. It would confirm they have no idea what to do.
Mariners/Devils was started by the AFL & destroyed by the AFL.
I find it difficult to understand why they would repeat the whole mess again. I dont see the Mariners helping state football, it didnt before. A lot of kids dropped out of the game after the experience. A VFL team would hardly attract a crowd like it did originally. The public have moved on. Even the AFL are moving on from the VFL it seems.

The only reason this would be justified would be if there was, say. a committed five year plan for this team to become an AFL team

Forget your raw demographics - ..

Well no, that is the whole point.

The AFL has seen a huge demographic that is underrepresented that offers much more than what Tassie can - unfortunately for Tassie.

Sydney can also potentially offer up another club as well at some stage.

You are spot on. In 20 years, Tasmania has gone from having the same median age as NSW, Victoria and the Australian average to now being by far the oldest Australian state with a median age of 42 (Australia and Victoria it's 37).

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...7A40A407211F35F4CA257A2200120EAA?OpenDocument

You are spot on. In 20 years, Tasmania has gone from having the same median age as NSW, Victoria and the Australian average to now being by far the oldest Australian state with a median age of 42 (Australia and Victoria it's 37).

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...7A40A407211F35F4CA257A2200120EAA?OpenDocument

Same problem it has had for some generations now, young people - bit the same as Adelaide make the move usually to Melbourne, or SE QLD, although that has probably slowed now.

Yes & how much of that is due to the immigration numbers into Melbourne? Again, they ain't a natural Aussie Rules resource! The pressure on the clubs in Melbourne for support will only get worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back