mayhem20202

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2007
Sale, Vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Leeds United
What is the update with Medhurst? Obviously been out of favour/form/the side (you guys would know which one is more accurate than what I would) for most of this season. Is he likely to be offered up for trade? If so, I'd love to see him at Essendon.

Most of us have no idea really. He's had a strange season, Mick recalled him against your mob then said "It was my fault I left him too long in the VFL and it was tough for him to adjust" and then dropped him again, which I found very strange. If Medhurst had those additional 2 games against the Crows and Hawks he could've very well been in the mix this week.

I don't even think he was playing all that badly at the start of the year to be honest. He's clearly gotten on the wrong side of Mick for something or other.

Pretty much what Zakhi has said. It's been a strange year for Medders. I too thought early in the year he wasn't too bad either and unlucky to end up on the outer. He has also been very good at VFL level playing through the midfield too. He's certainly got good football infront of him whether it is with Collingwood or not I am not sure.

Also like Zakhi when MM mentioned that Medders had been left at VFL level too long and would struggle to get up to the pace / level I took it as a positive and thought Medders would be given the rest of the year to adjust up. If that had happened we would have a better idea as to if he could contribute in finals, as it happens he wasn't and you couldn't possibly give him a game now.

Glad I wasn't the only one confused by Mick saying he left Medders in the VFL for too long.. and then promptly drops him again.

Smoke screen or not,dropping him again has me totally mystified. He should have been kept in the side and played into form. We could use him right now.

Clearly his passport has been stamped.

Something strange is certainly up here. I think its funny Mick persists with Leon after dreadful performances but didnt give Meds a chance to get back into form in seniors. I really like the way he goes about footy, team player. Hope he gets his chances next year. Don't think this is the week for him though.

Clearly his passport has been stamped.

I'm hearing he is about to re-sign, will probably get announced early during trade week.
99% confident.

Fraser is as good as gone too, sounds like he and the Luke Ball protege are just waiting for the GF to wrap up before they announce they are heading north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Send him back to Freo for Tarrant and then we can all start arguing who won the trade for the next couple of years..............probably not a bad swap to be honest, oops!

My take on Medders is that he really struggles under the regimented game style imposed by Mick. This quote from the book Side by Side: A Season with Collingwood really brought this to light.

Paul Medhurst dwells mournfully on this contradiction. ''The way the AFL is going, it seems that players are expected to perform like robots,'' he says. ''The behind-the-goals footage [shown at team meetings] is just the most horrible thing. I just don't understand it. The coaches say: 'Stop. What was going through your head? What were you doing leading up to this?' It's just bullshit.''

Medhurst understands the need for structure, but chafes against it. ''Look at Geelong,'' he says. ''There is a massive amount of creativity and instinct in the way they play. It's in my nature, not only as a footballer, but as a person.
http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/one-club-one-mission/2009/11/11/1257615079764.html?page=2

While for the most part he removed the selfish aspects from his game after he arrived at Collingwood, I would guess that this sort of attitude has led to a conflict with Mick. Pure conjecture though.

Where did you hear Luke Ball was leaving for the gold coast, seems a tad stranges, 2 clubs in two yrs?

Medders was terribly mismanaged this year. The guy was AA a year ago ffs.
Could have given him some games in the last few weeks to keep him up but they dumped him entirely except for a tiny sniff, in which despite the opinions of ignorant posters here he played pretty well considering. all htis was in favor of Leon who has now been dumped for the big game and leaves a big hole as a small forward. I'd have to say that StK now have the more potent forward line with 3 genuine stars in Roo, Milne and Sneider, we having dumped our other star forward in Medders. An in form Medders could have made a huge difference and is the type of player that would suit StK.
I just hope it doesn't cost us the flag.
Our forwards now look pretty shakey - dawes looking pretty green and a bit unco - a really good player would have eaten up that goal running into goal, just had to grab it and throw it onto the boot but fumbled instead.
McCAff, Beams inexperience is showing and could be tired. This is when you need the solid proven performers, I'd actually include Lockyer and maybe drop beams - good at finding space forward and a good kick for goal. Sidey looking up to it and I think Blair will actually learn from last week and improve. Cloke playing and marking well but... well I don't have to say it, except I'll be squinting through my fingers when he has a shot on goal.

Put it this way, at this stage I'd call it a toss of the coin, if Medders was in and playing decent footy (even if not in peak form) I'd be very confident of a win. Pressure will of course be on the Sack, let's see how he responds. Hopefully with a couple of huge torps!

My take on Medders is that he really struggles under the regimented game style imposed by Mick. This quote from the book Side by Side: A Season with Collingwood really brought this to light.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/rfnews/one-club-one-mission/2009/11/11/1257615079764.html?page=2

While for the most part he removed the selfish aspects from his game after he arrived at Collingwood, I would guess that this sort of attitude has led to a conflict with Mick. Pure conjecture though.

I love this from Medhurst. There is hardly any creativity left in games, see last weeks GF for example. A great game but not much freedom to take the game on.

If Collingwood are to win tomorrow we have to take the game on, that's simply it. Otherwise St Kilda will choke us to death.

I wish Medhurst was in for Davis but knew it wasn't a possibility due to lack of match fitness. So who'll kick our small forward goals? Macaffer? Beams? Sidebottom? Blair? Is that it?

Our Midfield will dominate and hit Cloke and Dawes lace out with pin point precision.

With absolute confidence the big fellas will go back and drill every opportunity, making a small forward unnecessary.

Goal contributions from the mids and a pair to both Caff and Beams will have us well over the line.

Go Pies!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back