Media alert #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I know the context of the conversation but why would that be a "kick in the guts"? I am not understanding the point he is trying to make.

You've been telling your supporters "short term pain for long term gain", selling them on the idea of being crap before being good again, only for another club to turn around and basically complete a rebuild in half the time of a Richmond or a Melbourne and leap frog them in the process? Might not be a kick in the guts for the club itself, but I could see it being so for the supporters. And I'd love it. :D

I can't remember which article it was, or which journalist wrote it. But, I read an article which I believe was about winners and losers (players the particular journo saw as well performed and poorly performed, from the NAB cup) from each side. It was a typical piece of Melbourne journalism and I would question whether he watched the game. It stated that our players to watch were Billy Longer and Jordan Lisle, both of whom had average games at best (which is totally acceptable from Longer). It also went on to state that Elliot Yeo was in Gold Coast's best performed players????? Finally cited Johnathon Brown as a worry, not for the fact that he had a quiet night, but that he would likely miss the first few rounds of the regular season, for a reckless, high bump on Jared Rivers (the 'incident' was not even looked at). The AFL wants to make this a national sport, but is happy for the media to make up tripe about anything north of Albury.

You've been telling your supporters "short term pain for long term gain", selling them on the idea of being crap before being good again, only for another club to turn around and basically complete a rebuild in half the time of a Richmond or a Melbourne and leap frog them in the process? Might not be a kick in the guts for the club itself, but I could see it being so for the supporters. And I'd love it. :D
I think there's an aspect of looking at last year's ladder and seeing Brisbane finish behind those clubs and then thinking it wouldn't be "fair" for Brisbane to suddenly surge ahead. Obviously, this is a totally simplistic and Victoria-centric viewpoint and quite frankly I am surprised that it came from a Herald Sun journo. :rolleyes:

Robbo is a Bombers supporter too.

I think that maybe it is also the case that a lot of the Melbourne football community would like to see Voss fail. I remember hearing a podcast about this before tha start of the 2011 season, but I couldn't locate it now for the life of me, nor tell you who was in it. I do however remember the line that a lot of people in Melbourne would love to see him 'crash land somewhere between the Gabba and Cararra'.

Bloody banana-benders suceeding in our VFL. The nerve.

Found it:

[YOUTUBE]dQV4_TqIJLU[/YOUTUBE]

Skip to 3.40 for the money. Not the most reputable news or opinion source, but you get the idea.

If it is anything like the TV coverage you see occasionally from the NT, it isn't great but it is quite endearing. There is generally only one camera located on a wing and the callers tend not to know everyone's name. I guess the issue there is that the footy tends not to have a lot of contests and moves relatively slowly. Therefore, the single camera is able to capture play quite adequately. I think the pace of senior footy, together with the numbers around the ball, will make it more difficult to follow play.

I can't remember which article it was, or which journalist wrote it. But, I read an article which I believe was about winners and losers (players the particular journo saw as well performed and poorly performed, from the NAB cup) from each side. It was a typical piece of Melbourne journalism and I would question whether he watched the game. It stated that our players to watch were Billy Longer and Jordan Lisle, both of whom had average games at best (which is totally acceptable from Longer). It also went on to state that Elliot Yeo was in Gold Coast's best performed players????? Finally cited Johnathon Brown as a worry, not for the fact that he had a quiet night, but that he would likely miss the first few rounds of the regular season, for a reckless, high bump on Jared Rivers (the 'incident' was not even looked at). The AFL wants to make this a national sport, but is happy for the media to make up tripe about anything north of Albury.

I think you'll find this is exactly the reason that the AFL want more control over the media. With two new expansion clubs, they've invested heavily in NSW and QLD, and for some Melbourne journo who never watches interstate matches to be writing one of the (likely) most read articles on the game is detrimental in many ways.

There are many negative points about the competition's plans with AFL Media, but there are also positive ones. A more balanced and national reporting scene is one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland Government Internet blocks web radio streams :thumbsdown:... any snippets of note?

Sorry I was in the car so didn't get a chance to reply, I heard he would be on after the break quicky pulled over and typed the message on the phone.

But I see the link is posted above, which is better than I could have done

Hi gang

Vossy will be on 5AA Adelaide this afternoon at 4.35pm Adelaide time.

Also, as you've already seen, this weekend's Round 2 NAB Cup game will be streamed live via www.aflnt.com.au. Look out for Vossy being interviewed pre-game, Gary O'Donnell at quarter time and Shane Woewodin at half time. Our Footy Manager Dean Warren will also be a special guest in the commentary box during the second quarter and he's sure to drop some pearls of wisdom!

Have a great weekend.

LI

Hi gang

Vossy will be on 5AA Adelaide this afternoon at 4.35pm Adelaide time.

Also, as you've already seen, this weekend's Round 2 NAB Cup game will be streamed live via www.aflnt.com.au. Look out for Vossy being interviewed pre-game, Gary O'Donnell at quarter time and Shane Woewodin at half time. Our Footy Manager Dean Warren will also be a special guest in the commentary box during the second quarter and he's sure to drop some pearls of wisdom!

Have a great weekend.

LI

Thanks LI. These have been a big 3 days for you, I imagine.

Probably more true than funny ,if this rain keeps up.
It is pelting down, has been all night and shows no sign of abating:thumbsdown:

At least it looks like it'll be easing throughout the week, but it seems we might be in for some fun today.

Hi all

This has been mentioned on this thread but a reminder that Vossy will be the special guest on On the Couch tonight with Gerard, Mike and Paul. 7.30pm on Fox Footy.

Enjoy.

LI

PS - remember that there are new LIONSTV videos loaded every day onto the Lions website, as well as daily news from the Club if you're looking for a news fix.

Well, Vossy's appearance On the Couch was a waste of time. Spent the time rehashing old ground (Luke Power, the review of last year, etc) and then talking about Patrick Dangerfield.

A little bit of a chat about the year ahead for Brisbane and some of our young players might have been nice.

Well, Vossy's appearance On the Couch was a waste of time. Spent the time rehashing old ground (Luke Power, the review of last year, etc) and then talking about Patrick Dangerfield.

A little bit of a chat about the year ahead for Brisbane and some of our young players might have been nice.

Agree with this. BLOODY frustrating, nothing about the future from the hosts. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

The concluding discussion with Vossy about Patrick Dangerfield was just bizarre. Why on earth would they have Vossy on the Couch and discuss an Adelaide player. Just too dumb for words to rationalise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back