Strategy Marketing, Sales, Communication & Media Structure & Strategies

Remove this Banner Ad

I've heard plenty of complaints from Crows people, bemoaning the fact that they're sick of hearing good news stories about Port. It's music to my ears, because it means we're getting great publicity and they're not. This sort of image can only help our brand.

We are indeed massaging the media. We started with the national media and now the sub-standard SA variation of the fourth estate is reluctantly tagging along.

AFC have not yet worked out how to project an image that is interesting beyond SA borders. They simply do not have one, a handicap to which a few are starting to wake up.

We, on the other hand, possess the plot for a genuinely film-worthy historical / sports underdog story that, in time, can be produced and projected beyond Australia's shores ...

150-year-old Blue-Collar Aussie Football Club Wins Long Fight vs City Hall en route to Glory on the National Stage.

Release date : 2020.

Of course, another six-in-a-row 2015 - 2020 would help just a little

All I know is that on the TV our games are so ******* loud that it must be deafening at the ground, and the cheering comes from within and cannot be taught

We are indeed massaging the media. We started with the national media and now the sub-standard SA variation of the fourth estate is reluctantly tagging along.

AFC have not yet worked out how to project an image that is interesting beyond SA borders. They simply do not have one, a handicap to which a few are starting to wake up.

We, on the other hand, possess the plot for a genuinely film-worthy historical / sports underdog story that, in time, can be produced and projected beyond Australia's shores ...

150-year-old Blue-Collar Aussie Football Club Wins Long Fight vs City Hall en route to Glory on the National Stage.

Release date : 2020.

Of course, another six-in-a-row 2015 - 2020 would help just a little
And a few other things in our favour:

- David Koch v Rob Chapman
- Keith Thomas v Andrew Fagan
- Ken Hinkley v the bloke who wishes he was Ken Hinkley :)
- the best pre match/game day experience in the AFL bar none v the 61st man and fake Crow noises after every goal

If I was a potential sponsor of an Adelaide club right now, I know who I'd choose :)

The re-launched 'Crows Show', going to air on Channel 7 ADELAIDE in 2015, would suggest none of the people who've started to "wake up" occupy decision making positions at the AFC. The one thing they had over us, a monopoly of the state colours and a generic broad based appeal to the state's masses, has now become their Achilles heal. They're trapped within South Australia's borders and they can't get out. Yet apparently we're the ones who are limited by a postcode and need to broaden our appeal.

The re-launched 'Crows Show', going to air on Channel 7 ADELAIDE in 2015, would suggest none of the people who've started to "wake up" occupy decision making positions at the AFC. The one thing they had over us, a monopoly of the state colours and a generic broad based appeal to the state's masses, has now become their Achilles heal. They're trapped within South Australia's borders and they can't get out. Yet apparently we're the ones who are limited by a postcode and need to broaden our appeal.

its no different to Collingwoods "The Club" or Essendons "the Hangar". Maybe Port should look at doing something similar to reach its members.

its no different to Collingwoods "The Club" or Essendons "the Hangar". Maybe Port should look at doing something similar to reach its members.

Firstly, both of those are terrible.

Secondly, this will be much worse.

We appear to have mastered the art of online digital media. Port's ability to reach it's members is going along just fine thanks.

And a few other things in our favour:

- David Koch v Rob Chapman
- Keith Thomas v Andrew Fagan
- Ken Hinkley v the bloke who wishes he was Ken Hinkley :)
- the best pre match/game day experience in the AFL bar none v the 61st man and fake Crow noises after every goal

If I was a potential sponsor of an Adelaide club right now, I know who I'd choose :)
Another thing in our favour is that our games rate well - something current and potential sponsors look for. It's the main reason the AFL gave us 3 Friday night games this year (1 only last year).

Sydney is the only interstate club with more Friday night games, 4 in total. We're next with West Coast on 3, then come Freo and the Crows with 2, and remainder have one.

The team for all South Australians. The Pride of South Australia. Other clubs (us included) have some sort of geographic reference in the club name, but no other club glories in it like Adelaide. It's the 'Kick a Vic.', SA Great, with a big chip on the shoulder mentality writ large. It's what binds a disparate group of supporters (along with hating Port) together. Only problem (for them) is the more it's pushed to unite their local fans behind them rather than us, the more it excludes anyone outside SA (no matter how much they try to spin otherwise).

Koch was spot on with Port looking beyond the local postcode. We've hit the sweet spot of proud of what we've done without wrapping ourselves in it to the point of excluding the future.

The team for all South Australians. The Pride of South Australia. Other clubs (us included) have some sort of geographic reference in the club name, but no other club glories in it like Adelaide. It's the 'Kick a Vic.', SA Great, with a big chip on the shoulder mentality writ large. It's what binds a disparate group of supporters (along with hating Port) together. Only problem (for them) is the more it's pushed to unite their local fans behind them rather than us, the more it excludes anyone outside SA (no matter how much they try to spin otherwise).

Koch was spot on with Port looking beyond the local postcode. We've hit the sweet spot of proud of what we've done without wrapping ourselves in it to the point of excluding the future.

I never got the claims we limited ourselves within our postcode.

Apart from the fact we've always searched far and wide for the best people to get into the club - from the LeFevre, to Norwood, to Victoria and beyond - it was well established the great majority of Power members came from outside the wider Alberton area.

The media groupthink that bludgeoned the likes of John James into the Power FC/Planet Teal mentality coincided with the club abandoning the very identity and strategies that had made Port Adelaide the biggest, most successful club in SA to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows seem to have limited themselves to our postcode lately - they only seem interested in what we do and who we employ :)

It still amuses me that they mocked our first trip to Dubai, and now suddenly they're off to Dubai at the end of the year.
Difference being he's just standing there barking at them and pushing them to breaking point where Burgo takes them to the edge but not over it. He wouldn't have gotten any insights into the science of our fitness regime as assistant coach so the should be no advantage there of knowing Burgo's ways.

Difference being he's just standing there barking at them and pushing them to breaking point where Burgo takes them to the edge but not over it. He wouldn't have gotten any insights into the science of our fitness regime as assistant coach so the should be no advantage there of knowing Burgo's ways.
That's a fair call. If Burgo had pushed the boys as hard in his first off season with them, as he did on the last Dubai trip, there may have been some dead footballers. He's the master: all others (including Phil Walsh) are mere amateurs by comparison.

More people will watch the Crows tv show on FTA. I guarantee it.

I'm not sure that the comparisons between the shows are especially relevant. The Essendon and Collingwood ones are documentary style, in principle aimed at viewers beyond just the clubs' supporters. The Crows Show is (presumably) some kind of variety/entertainment studio audience type deal like it was in the 90s. Unless you know otherwise?

More people will watch the Crows tv show on FTA. I guarantee it.
Would it have legs? I can't see it.
The Essendon/Collingwood ones where content is padded out by 20 year olds playing table tennis etc would have to be all that the format could deliver. I have to say I can't imagine I'd be too excited about a Port one.

Would it have legs? I can't see it.
The Essendon/Collingwood ones where content is padded out by 20 year olds playing table tennis etc would have to be all that the format could deliver. I have to say I can't imagine I'd be too excited about a Port one.
Yep - give me a bigfooty podcast any day.

Speaking of which, Macca and Rick - aren't you due to be doing one soon?

I'm not sure that the comparisons between the shows are especially relevant. The Essendon and Collingwood ones are documentary style, in principle aimed at viewers beyond just the clubs' supporters. The Crows Show is (presumably) some kind of variety/entertainment studio audience type deal like it was in the 90s. Unless you know otherwise?

No but apparently we can all just leap to assumptions here. Theres no reason why Adelaide couldnt be looking at doing the exact same thing that Essendon and Collingwood have done successfully but on FTA.

And theres every reason that comparisons are relevant -

Hosted by former assistant coach and two-time premiership captain Mark Bickley, the show is described as “magazine” in style rather than the panel format that dominates free-to-air and pay TV.

The 30-minute program, to run every weekend during the AFL season, will feature player profiles and behind-the-scenes access, similar to Collingwood’s The Club and Essendon’s The Hangar, on Fox Footy.
ref: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-bickley-to-host/story-fnia3xzy-1227192489474

No but apparently we can all just leap to assumptions here.

More of an educated guess. ;)

But, point taken and thanks for the info. If it's not a panel format I agree that it at least stands a chance of not being awful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back