Club Legend
Jan 13, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Hi ya.
I am having a big issue with the media at the moment. I was listening to Footy Classified (working with the TV on in the background) and I couldn't believe the anti Richmond sentiment going on. Even Caro was having a dig. They were still going on about Cotch's hit on Shiel with Sam McClure's final mention on the topic about people in AFL know they got that decision wrong. They were trying to compare it to Long's of St Kilda. Lloyd can't hide the smirk when he is saying detrimental things about Richmond.

I don't recall any other year being as bad as this. I shouldn't let it get to me, but boy it does bug me.

Footy politics and media is a bit of a joke, I'm not sure how anyone can take it seriously.

394.jpg

They are there to generate clicks and attract eyeballs - nothing more. You don't need to consume their content and if you do you don't need to take them seriously. Re the Cotchin incident for example best approach is to rub their noses in it by saying Long would have got off if he was Cotchin so suck it, just troll them right back.

We are getting back to the 60s 70s level hate I love it!! Imagine Benny Gale saying to hit an opponents injured hand during a game,it would never happen.And when we start a rebuild they will all settle back and the hate will be gone...Embrace it while its there

Hi ya.
I am having a big issue with the media at the moment. I was listening to Footy Classified (working with the TV on in the background) and I couldn't believe the anti Richmond sentiment going on. Even Caro was having a dig. They were still going on about Cotch's hit on Shiel with Sam McClure's final mention on the topic about people in AFL know they got that decision wrong. They were trying to compare it to Long's of St Kilda. Lloyd can't hide the smirk when he is saying detrimental things about Richmond.

I don't recall any other year being as bad as this. I shouldn't let it get to me, but boy it does bug me.

No surprise that Ross Lyon was the only one calling bullshit on the whole thing. .
He said "with cotchin I see a player going lower and harder to win the ball, with Long MacRae has the ball and Long elected to bump. I'd say to him JUST TACKLE HIM SON"

I saw McClure's comment at the end. Sneaky and slimy, befitting.

We must credit Ross Lyon who rubbished the comparisons between Long and Cotchin's hits.

Cotchin went for the ball that was in dispute. Ross collected the man when he could have tackled 🤦‍♂️💁‍♀️

Caro is dead right, if Cotchin laid the Shiel bump now, he would have been suspended. I hope Dimma urges them to avoid any tribunal acts, cause there is a target on our back and we won't get a fair hearing.

The media is full of click generators. There is actually relatively little in the way of knowledgeable commentary anymore. Analysis of game plans and player role is almost invisible. What there is usually so simplistic and 'the 1990s were great, that's how the game should be played'.

It's all politics and garbage. I reckon there'd be a market for good analysis and insight. But they don't do that so don't realise how much the crap is hated.

The media is full of click generators. There is actually relatively little in the way of knowledgeable commentary anymore. Analysis of game plans and player role is almost invisible. What there is usually so simplistic and 'the 1990s were great, that's how the game should be played'.

It's all politics and garbage. I reckon there'd be a market for good analysis and insight. But they don't do that so don't realise how much the crap is hated.
Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Ross Lyon
Wayne Carey
Jason Dunstall

There are a few great analysts. Not many and theyre overwhelmed by

- The slimy skunks (McClure, Morris, Barrett, Hutchy, Browne)

- The drunken uncle (Brownless, Newman, Hunt, McGuire, Robbo)

- The Troll (Lloyd, Cornes, Ruccuito)

No surprise that Ross Lyon was the only one calling bullshit on the whole thing. .
He said "with cotchin I see a player going lower and harder to win the ball, with Long MacRae has the ball and Long elected to bump. I'd say to him JUST TACKLE HIM SON"
Bet it went silent after that.

I saw McClure's comment at the end. Sneaky and slimy, befitting.

We must credit Ross Lyon who rubbished the comparisons between Long and Cotchin's hits.

Cotchin went for the ball that was in dispute. Ross collected the man when he could have tackled 🤦‍♂️💁‍♀️

Caro is dead right, if Cotchin laid the Shiel bump now, he would have been suspended. I hope Dimma urges them to avoid any tribunal acts, cause there is a target on our back and we won't get a fair hearing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with what Cotch did back then or if he did it now.
Incidental contact isn't a reportable offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bet it went silent after that.

Nope. McClure had to have the last word and said the AFL would look back at the incident and realise they got it wrong.

He also said if the same happened again this Friday Cotchin would be gone. Which is probably true the way our players always have a target on their back in the media.

Nope. McClure had to have the last word and said the AFL would look back at the incident and realise they got it wrong.

He also said if the same happened again this Friday Cotchin would be gone. Which is probably true the way our players always have a target on their back in the media.
* stick

Absolutely right. Have to avoid suspensions for the rest of the year.

Difference is, back in 2017 we were the underachievers who were starting to build and perform - real feel good stuff.

Now we are the big, hugely successful organisation that is seen as bullish and this makes em want to take us down.

All the romance now is for Port & Lions.

Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Ross Lyon
Wayne Carey
Jason Dunstall

Grant Thomas had his say about us and it was all positive. Jake Nihall as well.

One analysis that I’m gonna listen to are the ex players in the media without the Richmond hatred.

Caros turned on us as well so thanks to T71 she will forever be known as the UNDead.

Even that ******* weasel Gerard W who continues on an hourly basis to throw in how arrogant, blah blah just to keep it fresh in the media whores minds , with the notion of making them think that everyone is saying it but really it’s him constantly.
Goes quiet on his stupid 360 show and let’s the sloth say it with that stupid I’m not saying anything look on his face.

There’s only so many times where I can go after the Media dinks and their media whores because I just keep getting blocked or suspended.

About to go postal soon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Hi ya.

That's why I've barely watched a footy show since early 2018. they are all dumb campaigners. Sarah Jones that hosts the fox footy games is one of the only one that seems like a neutral professional in the entire of AFL media

Used to love Marngrook -- mainly because they really loved their footy and had a great vibe. I never knew them to slag off players or clubs. Just the opposite. They seemed to delight in finding the good stuff. A player could have the worst game on record and the Marngrook panel would always be upbeat. Other shows delight in sinking the boot in when people are down.

Next to Marngrook, the other shows don't even rate.

Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Ross Lyon
Wayne Carey
Jason Dunstall

Agree. But actually what I meant wasn't comment guys, but as much attention to analysis of the game as they do the politics, personalities and click bait. You can find videos pulling apart the game plan of Barcelona or Liverpool, or NBA teams - in great detail. See if you can find anything like that for the AFL.

Even the best commentators / expert analysts just do snippets.

The AFL is a great game to try and pull apart, cause you often find intriguing things. But you rarely see any attempt to do that in any depth. e.g. the number of times 'experts' say that "Richmond's main weakness is poor contested ball". They simply have no idea what our game plan is and why we win so much. Most experts explaining to us have no idea what they are talking about - why teams win, and how they do it.

Sadly, we're living in a time where media entities are competing for your eyeballs rather than who is putting out the most correct information. As an example:

Pro-Richmond content will get a lot of Richmond people and a few neutrals looking to voice their disapproval.

Anti-Richmond content gets a majority of neutral supporters in agreement and a lot of Richmond supporters coming in to voice their disapproval.

The same thing happens across all big clubs. Essendon are getting crucified at the moment, much to the enjoyment of every other club's supporters.

Nick Riewoldt
Luke Hodge
Ross Lyon
Wayne Carey
Jason Dunstall

I rate Cam Mooney as a good analyst. Doesn't get enough air time

Hi ya.

don't forget Lloyd also mentioned butler was ripping games apart in the VFL last year and we wouldn't play him, dumb campaigner he knows nothing about our club, because if he did he would realise that butler had s**t load of chances to recement his spot in the team but spudded it up big time, he wasn't just given a one off game either it was multiples .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back