Media hysteria over paedophiles

Remove this Banner Ad

If a pedophile abuses a child, they absolutely, withour a doubt need to face justice. But they do need help and the pedophiles who do not abuse children need to be able to seek help without being afraid.

I agree. It's best to nip it at the bud so that attacks of this nature are less likely to occur.

lol when I go to pick up my nephew and niece from primary school all the parents used to look at me like I was some pedo, it is weird. It is not like that now since my sister told them who I was but there is some morbid paranoia that everyone is a pedo. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry but I remember when I was a kid, life was a lot simpler. You just very rarely see really young kids playing out on the street unsupervised anymore.

It is pretty sad. Our society is getting worse when your life is dictated by fear.

I can't believe that no one has started a thread about the 'family' that has been reported on in NSW.

I would but I've got to dash off to my daughters' dance concert.

lol when I go to pick up my nephew and niece from primary school all the parents used to look at me like I was some pedo, it is weird. It is not like that now since my sister told them who I was but there is some morbid paranoia that everyone is a pedo. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry but I remember when I was a kid, life was a lot simpler. You just very rarely see really young kids playing out on the street unsupervised anymore.

It is pretty sad. Our society is getting worse when your life is dictated by fear.
I had a very similar experience when I attended a playgroup with my son. I cared for him during the day. Inevitably, I was the only bloke there. I got the feeling from the women that they thought I was either there to pick up, or was a child molester.

I fixed the problem by starting up a playgroup for men who looked after their kids. It lasted for three years and we had fifteen regulars. The Berry Street organisation even provided us with access to their Community House in Richmond, so we could hold our gatherings there. Great times, discussing feeding of kids, sleep patterns, hints on handling them and footy and cricket as well. We even discussed philosophy occasionally.

Just had an intrusive thought of a kid in bikinis. Wanna kill me?
Whats that got to do with anything? You had a thought good on you but did you act on it? You cant be convicted for having a thought numnut. Surely you should know the difference between thinking about it and actually acting on it

Nobody is denying they are scum. The reality of paedophilia though is that the vast majority abuse those close to them like family members, or children who have been placed in their care through stuff like schools/camps/organisations like sporting clubs etc.

Yet the dominant meme is of the prowling unknown monster in the dark. These certainly do exist but nowhere near at the level the media trope has them.

I would say that the main media attention is on paedophile priests. While horrible what they do, the media needs to give just as much attention to victims of family abuse, student-teacher relationships and other authority figures and children. It's not only priests who do it, but the media want to bash the church, all the while ignoring just as serious sex abuse crimes to children.

Whats that got to do with anything? You had a thought good on you but did you act on it? You cant be convicted for having a thought numnut. Surely you should know the difference between thinking about it and actually acting on it

I believe that this was the point that Enigma was attempting to make.

And numbnut's spelt with a "b"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are all pedophiles hetro?

That's a very strange query. Any substantial subgroup would not be exclusively hetro, whether they be doctors, cricketers, Dr Who fans or paedophiles.

Some are hetrosexual, some are bisexual, some are homosexual.

A substantial number of young sexual offence victims are male; indeed, having male victims is such a common feature of true paedophiles that it is an identified risk factor in the standard test for re-offending.

Some offenders have exclusively male victims, some exclusively female, many have a mix. Such choices don't necessarily reflect their underlying sexuality, of course.

Not at all. There have been many many cases of same-sex abuse. The Catholic Church scandal springs to mind.

Yep theres lots of gay pedophiles, the numbers for the percentage of population are quite staggering. Straight pedophiles are certainly up there in numbers but then again they're 99% of the population.

Its interesting the pedophile priest get labelled by their profession not their gayness. Wheres the pedophile teachers, pedophile police? Fact is homosexuals are far more likely to be pedophiles, probably not surprising that sexually abused children are more likely to become pedos themselves or gay. Must be some sort of mental disorder with being abused. Then of course theres gay groups suck as NAMBLA that over the years have actively been trying to lower the age of consent.

Watching reports in the UK about gangs of Pakistani descent guys grooiming then serially abusing young white girls. Disturbing stuff.

Yep theres lots of gay pedophiles, the numbers for the percentage of population are quite staggering. Straight pedophiles are certainly up there in numbers but then again they're 99% of the population.

There's no such thing as a gay or a straight paedophile IMO. The gender of the victim is irrelevant in discussing the term. A paedophile is a person whom grooms under-age persons for the purpose of having sex with them. It's an abuse of power over another, regardless of their gender. Research has shown that paedophiles who seem to prefer boys, still abuse little girls if given the chance. Often it is about access, more than preference.

I think it confuses the issue if we start referring to paedophiles as gay or straight. It panders to homophobes who think gay people are predators out to get your children, spreading ignorance and fear where it is unnecessary. The term paedophile should remain gender neutral, and only refer to the nature of the crime and the ages of those involved.

There's no such thing as a gay or a straight paedophile IMO. The gender of the victim is irrelevant in discussing the term. A paedophile is a person whom grooms under-age persons for the purpose of having sex with them. It's an abuse of power over another, regardless of their gender. Research has shown that paedophiles who seem to prefer boys, still abuse little girls if given the chance. Often it is about access, more than preference.

I think it confuses the issue if we start referring to paedophiles as gay or straight. It panders to homophobes who think gay people are predators out to get your children, spreading ignorance and fear where it is unnecessary. The term paedophile should remain gender neutral, and only refer to the nature of the crime and the ages of those involved.
If we must, maybe we should refer to them as bisexuals? Never in history has a sexual minority employed such a pissweak to non-existent activism. It's not as if they'll band together in protest either. It seems to be the safe option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back