Roast Media/McClure Misrepresenting Mental Mess on Mindful Camp

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
[Imagine this post being an article reviewing the practices of the media (relating to reporting to the Preseason Camp). I will try and give my take on what went on, and to explain why I think the media has ran a mess, with an obvious agenda to sensationalise the news and/or derail our campaign, and meanwhile belittling the topic of mental illness during their reporting.]

What are the actual facts that we know about the Camp?
One or two players seem unhappy with what took place during the Camp, and that was actually all the evidence when piling up what the players/coaches/CM statements.
One of the concerns was the involvement of the use of an Aboriginal talking stick, which may have been a cultural clash of sorts, and a player had to go seek counsel from an Aboriginal elder, and within several days, the questions have been sorted.
Apart from the issue above, there were no real serious notable facts mentioned.

Can we expect a 3-day Camp to go perfectly smoothly?
This is where I find bemusing, simply for the fact that in camps, just like in any other events, things can go wrong. I've been to camps/shows and have witnessed skin cuts, sprain ankles, verbal arguments, and plenty of drinking! Do we really expect everything to go smoothly in life? Absolutely not!
images
images
upload_2018-10-7_17-4-33.jpeg

What were the media's initial reporting of the Camp?
Knowing a fact a player(s) were unhappy about certain aspects of the Camp, the media portrayed the situation to be a "disaster" of gigantic proportions. The implication being that the playing group as a whole were psychologically traumatised from said Camp, using terms "players were mentally distressed" "Some players are still “not in a good headspace” after the training camp"
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/a-...d/news-story/c49921a32fab6d7e6c672ab4f09ce805
They used other "info" as though they were facts:
  • players were being tied up with blindfolds while listening to the RIchmond song
  • players allegedly tried to trees naked (later reporting during the year)
  • allegedly reported the AFL Players’ Association was alerted (but no formal complaint was made.)
Why the media has been allowed to carry on if it wasn't really a disaster/debacle?
A lot of the people have the assumption "where there's smoke there must be a fire". Often, there must be a fire, yes. But what kind of fire are we talking about, that should be the main question everyone needs to ask. Is it a small bonfire? Or a firestorm, rampaging across the forest?
Why the media think they can get away with misreporting or falsifying facts is that, they can use the lines:
  • "we only heard it from a source"
  • "why hasn't the Crows come out and proved to us that we were wrong?"
The truth is, a club has finite time and resources to counteract on the myths and false rumors. If there is an obvious pretence to attack the club with sensationalising a non-event (media trolling), the club is well within its rights to ignore it unless things get out of hand. Indeed, it did get out of hand during the aftermath of our mid-year collapse (more so due to our injury toll) and the club had to come out and dispel some false rumors and to help settle public unrest, and they parted ways with Collective Minds mid-year.

John, why do you say the media was belittling the issue of mental health?
Quite simply, the news reporting about the camp were way out of proportion to what went wrong. One or two players feeling doubtful of the Camp's benefits was nowhere near the situation of a club suffering from psychological turmoil. Adding further to this, the wordings of "mind camp disaster/debacle" has an indirect implication that there were psychological traumas inflicted on the players (as opposed to player(s) simply being unhappy). These are serious implications and should really be ascertained by actual psychologists whether or not the Camp (dealing with mental strengthening) was indeed a "disaster". The fact the media had used significant wordings to get more publicity and page views, whilst ignoring to detail any psychological reports of the camp, is ignorance to the serious nature of mental illness. It is a disregard both to the people who actually suffer mental illnesses as well as a disregard to the Crows players and AFC, for them to bandy around words that can only serve to frustrate if there were no actual whole truths to their story.

How can we know if it wasn't as serious as what's been reported the whole year?
1. Objective signs of psychological disturbances in the immediate aftermath of the Preseason Camp, were there any that's different from any other years? The signs actually point towards a pretty committed team, more than a psychologically disturbed one:
~ For the first 2 months, we were mostly in the top 4 of the the AFL ladder. After round 7 we were 5W,2L (3rd spot). After round 9 we were 6W,3L (4th spot). And this occurred whilst the morbity rates were climbing week by week!

~ we beat the Tigers in round 2 despite the reports of us being traumatised by...."blindfolds, Tiger's song on a loop, in a bus" upload_2018-10-7_18-38-48.jpeg upload_2018-10-7_18-40-34.jpeg
images

~ we beat the Swans away with a significantly depleted team, and very few of the fans on BF would be brave to bet on us for a win back then.

~ we got to see how jubilant the team was when hearing Bett's wife gave birth to twins before the Saints game round 3:
http://www.afc.com.au/video/2018-04-08/eddie-tells-the-boys

~ despite all the injuries and all the bad press and fan outrage this year, the club has managed to keep most of the AFL regulars who were happy to re-sign including the signings of Sloane, Seeds and Lynch. One is likely to depart with us (Mc....), but this appears to be more due to cash reasons rather than anything else.

2. Media's obvious bias in when to hound and when to ignore questioning. Here are some good examples:
~ 5 minute review Of Crow's 2018 season by Wilson and Hutchy- 98% focusing on the Preseason Camp, and literally 10 seconds of mentioning "oh yeah and there was also the injuries problem"
https://www.9now.com.au/footy-classified/2018/clip-cjlc8i74d002v0hozxkm0vwqj
~ Trade Talk with McClure's interview on Lynch on Trade Radio:

McClure you had 15 minutes to rectify any myths regarding the Camp you've been dwelling on for the entire 2018 season, why didn't you even mention it during the Lynch interview??

Lastly, do you really need a psychology degree to facilitate a mind strengthening, team bonding camp?
No.
Brian Taylor backs us in against McClure (titled "Sam McClure being a flog")

Remember the camp with Nigel Smart doing the fire walking?
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-day-smart-earned-the-nickname-notso-20020914-gdul9j.html
In 1992, Smart did something "Notso" Smart - firewalking. No psychologists were involved. Despite the ordeal and first degree burns to the feet, he ended up being one of our biggest legends in Crows colors - involved in a Preliminary Final in 1993, and Premiership player in 97 and 98. Smart didn't seem to have any psychological traumas despite a camp without a psychologist.

Were there any scars inflicted by blindfolds, sticks or trees in the recent Crows Camp?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
In summary, fans have every right to feel angered by the collapse of this year, after showing such promise all throughout last year. When you add it all up, there was a 3-day Camp and 100 days-worth of injuries. What do you think was the likely culprit of our failure in 2018? Camp debacle? Or media asses being just media asses?

Last edited:

One time....at band camp.....I was tied to a tree naked, blindfolded and had my balls roasted with a Bunsen burner whilst listening to the Richmond club song over and over
All I keep thinking of is a nice warm apple pie!
Guys, we're talking about Mind Camp, not Band Camp. No pies were harmed during the course of the event! (as far as we know)
To drunk, didn’t read

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Get sober then come back. If not, hope you enjoy the pics attached!

It's not just the footy media that's crap these days, all media is.
How many times have you clicked on an interesting sounding headline in your news feed just to realise it's a boring story about nothing with only a vague correlation with the headline?
I blame the Millennials, they're all soft and useless just like McGovern.

did you know, there are currently more accredited AFL media at the moment than AFL players?

that's the biggest problem, they are becoming bigger than the game

after listening to Mclure, it is completely clear that he was being fed information by Mcgoverns manager.

I would also suggest that his stories were largely exaggerated to ensure sufficient noise that would make it acceptable to McGovern to leave.

hilariously, I don't think he or his manager expected so many contracted players to try and move club, leaving Mcgovern as a 2nd or 3rd rate story.

It's not just the footy media that's crap these days, all media is.
How many times have you clicked on an interesting sounding headline in your news feed just to realise it's a boring story about nothing with only a vague correlation with the headline?
I blame the Millennials, they're all soft and useless just like McGovern.
I don't think it's an issue of millenials as such, but more an issue of the age of onlining/social media. People involved in media these days, are trying to outdo each other, so in order to get more attention, the title heading and news reporting have to sound that bit more interesting to gain the attraction. Unfortunately, this often involves in a lot of exaggeration and fabrication in their reports.

This is the main reason why McClure et al. didn't want to focus on the investigation about our physical injuries. It's much harder to fabricate, and you can't really run with this story and add further gossip each week. With the mind training camp, anybody with fingers and mouths can add their part to the gossip, and noone would be any wiser!

after listening to Mclure, it is completely clear that he was being fed information by Mcgoverns manager.

I would also suggest that his stories were largely exaggerated to ensure sufficient noise that would make it acceptable to McGovern to leave.

hilariously, I don't think he or his manager expected so many contracted players to try and move club, leaving Mcgovern as a 2nd or 3rd rate story.
Very good point regarding the probability of who's leaking the news to McClure.

Plot twist: McClure is actually McGov's manager!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood were involved?
I hear "sources" claiming a few select Pies players came to participate. They were kept on a different part of the camp field and had different activities to that of the Crows' players. Some of which I hear involved tying to trees, semi-naked with a loin cloth, wearing a pirate's eye patch, listening to the Eagles theme song on a loop.
upload_2018-10-9_23-16-31.jpeg upload_2018-10-9_23-17-5.jpeg upload_2018-10-9_23-17-54.jpeg

One former player who was roasted by a senior player for leaving has high level contacts in the media. Who works with mclunk

To the Vic media, this is Taylor made for leverage. Remember anything than report how biased this league is.

Mind Camp.........didn't Adolph Hitler write this ?
Yes it was. But this was a mind camp to do with mental strengthening for elite sportsmen. Not Mind Camp to do with Hitler or the cruel treatment of human beings by Hitler, or as suggested by McClure et al.

Sure, the Camp didn’t succeed on it’s promise, but was it as bad as a Hitler camp? Probably not.

Bumping this thread in light of recent news. There are various sources and this is taken from:
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...s/news-story/48a1ea8793431ba0a8a259d79e94c350

AN AFL investigation has cleared Adelaide of any rule breach surrounding the club’s controversial pre-season camp.

But the league says the Crows should have showed greater care when staging the mind training camp in January on the Gold Coast.

“The investigation identified there was a need for greater due diligence regarding the manner in which the club identified, implemented and managed its pre-season camp,” the AFL said on Thursday in a statement.

“The AFL has recommended improved oversight when engaging external providers and further investment in the club’s integrity area.

The League also supports Adelaide’s stated commitment to appoint a full-time security, risk and integrity manager.”

The camp hung over the head of the entire football club all season long, a season in which they missed out on the finals despite playing in the 2017 Grand Final.

The Crows have pledged to appoint a full-time integrity officer at the club, Adelaide’s chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

“We are on the record as saying elements of our pre-season camp should have been handled and executed better,” Fagan said in a statement.

“As always, the intent was positive and proactive and with a clear view to driving both personal and team improvement.

“But upon reflection and review, there are clear learnings.” The AFL integrity unit investigated the camp, staged by the Crows and mind- training company Collective Mind.

The camp created ructions within the Crows’ playing group and was described mid-year by coach Don Pyke as a “fail” when he announced the club had parted with Collective Mind.

Some of Adelaide’s indigenous players protested against the use of a cultural artefact at the camp and other players were privately concerned at the nature of the camp.

-------------------------------------------
My conclusion of all media reporting this year about the CM Camp:
- Club could have perhaps done better preparation for the preseason camp (always easier said in hindsight)
- Media were indeed behaving as asses, as this thread has suggested.

Moral of the story: be wary of media reporting on the mental state of the entire club. Easy for anyone to make accusations, without the results going in our favor (around mid-year), hard for the club to refute any accusations.

Good news, we're not as mentally fractured as news have been reported. If we can get the injury toll down, we have a good chance to bounce back! *fingers cross, no more hammy epidemic*

Hopefully the vultures (sorry, footy media) will now put this thing to bed permanently and stop carrying on with the psyops/MKULTRA-esque innuendo about the whole bloody thing

Jacobs: Camp a part of Crows' season fail.......from the rag this morning. Haven't read as behind paywall.
This s**t will never end while anyone gives it the slightest oxygen.
Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs says pre-season camp was part of the reason Adelaide failed in 2018
Jesper Fjeldstad, The Advertiser
October 27, 2018 2:39pm
Subscriber only
ADELAIDE ruckman Sam Jacobs has dismissed reports he was distressed after the Crows’ contentious pre-season camp last summer but called it a fail and said it was part of the reason the club fell from 2017 grand finalist to missing the eight.

Jacobs said the Gold Coast camp — coupled with players coming back unfit from holidays — was part of a pre-season that failed to give Adelaide the right momentum into the season.

He also said he had not enjoyed the camp.

“I think pre-season — and these are my thoughts — is you create your momentum through pre-season,” Jacobs said.

“If teams generally have a good pre-season they’re going to have a good season.

“We’re not hiding from the fact as a club that we didn’t have the pre-season we wanted.

“We obviously came off the grand final, we didn’t come back in the best position (condition) we would have liked.

“Put on top of that the camp that didn’t go to plan.

“It just sat over the top of us for pretty much the whole season.

“No doubt that played a part, along with injuries and a few other things.

“No doubt it played a part and the club’s owned it.

“If we had our time again we would have done things differently.”

Jacobs’s situation was addressed by chairman Rob Chapman in The Advertiser this week, with several personal conversations being held on the camp.

Jacobs’ was dealing with the loss of his brother, Aaron, but said it hadn’t upset him to talk about the issue.

“No (I wasn’t distressed),” Jacobs told TripleM show Dead Set Legends on Saturday. “The simplest was to put it — I can only talk about my experience; I don’t know about other guys — I wasn’t distressed, I wasn’t put in the situation which gets spoken about.

“It was just a camp that I just didn’t enjoy.

Can the Crows move on?

“It was a lot of meetings, we spoke all day about different things in our lives and the footy club.

“It was just an experience … techniques that I didn’t enjoy.

“It wasn’t that I got put in a position where I was made to feel uncomfortable.

“I wasn’t embarrassed. I wasn’t any of the stuff that’s been linked to me.

“Nothing was said to me by people that made me upset.

“My situation was a very public situation so a lot of my things were already out there.

“I wasn’t bringing anything new to the table to speak about.

“It was probably more the process that I didn’t enjoy.”

Crows ruckman Sam Jacobs says pre-season camp was part of the reason Adelaide failed in 2018
Jesper Fjeldstad, The Advertiser
October 27, 2018 2:39pm
Subscriber only
ADELAIDE ruckman Sam Jacobs has dismissed reports he was distressed after the Crows’ contentious pre-season camp last summer but called it a fail and said it was part of the reason the club fell from 2017 grand finalist to missing the eight.

Jacobs said the Gold Coast camp — coupled with players coming back unfit from holidays — was part of a pre-season that failed to give Adelaide the right momentum into the season.

He also said he had not enjoyed the camp.

“I think pre-season — and these are my thoughts — is you create your momentum through pre-season,” Jacobs said.

“If teams generally have a good pre-season they’re going to have a good season.

“We’re not hiding from the fact as a club that we didn’t have the pre-season we wanted.

“We obviously came off the grand final, we didn’t come back in the best position (condition) we would have liked.

“Put on top of that the camp that didn’t go to plan.

“It just sat over the top of us for pretty much the whole season.

“No doubt that played a part, along with injuries and a few other things.

“No doubt it played a part and the club’s owned it.

“If we had our time again we would have done things differently.”

Jacobs’s situation was addressed by chairman Rob Chapman in The Advertiser this week, with several personal conversations being held on the camp.

Jacobs’ was dealing with the loss of his brother, Aaron, but said it hadn’t upset him to talk about the issue.

“No (I wasn’t distressed),” Jacobs told TripleM show Dead Set Legends on Saturday. “The simplest was to put it — I can only talk about my experience; I don’t know about other guys — I wasn’t distressed, I wasn’t put in the situation which gets spoken about.

“It was just a camp that I just didn’t enjoy.

Can the Crows move on?

“It was a lot of meetings, we spoke all day about different things in our lives and the footy club.

“It was just an experience … techniques that I didn’t enjoy.

“It wasn’t that I got put in a position where I was made to feel uncomfortable.

“I wasn’t embarrassed. I wasn’t any of the stuff that’s been linked to me.

“Nothing was said to me by people that made me upset.

“My situation was a very public situation so a lot of my things were already out there.

“I wasn’t bringing anything new to the table to speak about.

“It was probably more the process that I didn’t enjoy.”

So basically the facilitators did a poor job. And we “parted Ways”.

End of story.
Plus we were depressed and consoled ourselves by comfort eating.

Larga vida 2019

I think having a large portion of our list injured due to our deplorable fitness dept. Might have had something to do with our shitty season. The camp is just a scapegoat because certain people in the club are covering their own asses instead of falling on a sword like they should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back