Roast Media/McClure Misrepresenting Mental Mess on Mindful Camp

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
As hilarious it would be to me if it were true (the utensil holding festivities), would anyone believe or take seriously something a bloke says with a haircut like this?

Brisbane-Powerhouse-Wil-Anderson-2017-1178x663.jpeg
The hilarity is when one would rather listen to a comedian (Anderson), a flog (McNure) or an ex-Port coach (Williams) for their "facts" about the camp.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just as a complete aside I had the pleasure of catching up with Jens Voight on the Tour of Margaret River (cycling). Jens told a great story about a pre-season camp in Norway where they had been out in the cold for days without food and very little sleep. He and Fabian Cancellara were on fire watch during the middle of the night when Fabian produced a chocolate bar he'd been saving and he shared it with Jens. Jens said after that he would do anything for Fabian.
I couldn't help thinking of the Crows camp.
I wonder if those guys on team Trek had a phsycologist on board, and the terrible conditions they must have endured, all without an enquiry or media scrutiny. Or are cyclists just so much harder than footballers?
Of course the club has to exercise due diligence, but this type of camp goes on around the world with no-one, including the participants, creating any real fuss about it.
One would also ask the question whether a psychologist would be able to cope with such harsh conditions?
All this camp talk makes me hungry for this coming Christmas break. Can't wait to do some trekking myself! Vitamin D, here I come!

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
anyone hear what Will Anderson has heard about the crows camp?

He revealed yesterday on MMM Hot Breakfast in Melb that the crows players had to hold each other by the genitals as part of the festivities of the camp..

Surely we can't stand idly by and let this sort of rumour mongering happen can we?

Surely he was taking the piss - what person would ever think a group of blokes would stand and hold each others family jewels?

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
anyone hear what Will Anderson has heard about the crows camp?

He revealed yesterday on MMM Hot Breakfast in Melb that the crows players had to hold each other by the genitals as part of the festivities of the camp..

Surely we can't stand idly by and let this sort of rumour mongering happen can we?
This was one ( one mind you ) of the funniest things Port ever produced

(Letter from Shanghai was funnier )

utensil holding ???
See the end of this ridiculousness:

http://m.portadelaidefc.com.au/video/2017-01-27/happy-chinese-new-year-ptv

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
As hilarious it would be to me if it were true (the utensil holding festivities), would anyone believe or take seriously something a bloke says with a haircut like this?

Brisbane-Powerhouse-Wil-Anderson-2017-1178x663.jpeg
These blokes are starting to resemble 1970's Split Enz

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did we ever hear which sessions "didn't resonate" with the players? Or why they didn't?

In 2017 Richmond did a thing where each week a player had to get up in front of the group and tell the group something they dont know about them, something they keep private, we copied the idea at the camp and some of the players regretted sharing what they shared.

Pure speculation but I think our group is different to Richmond, Richmond players would have responded to the stories with hugs and back rubs. Our playing group is a bit different, the like to give each other s**t. Trent Cotchin's idea of a prank is to put a players car keys in a can of tuna, then pay to replace the keys when they no longer work. Tex likes to put deep-heat in players underwear. I think some of what was shared might have been brought up again in banter and some players really didn't like that and it made them regret the entire exercise.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
In 2017 Richmond did a thing where each week a player had to get up in front of the group and tell the group something they dont know about them, something they keep private, we copied the idea at the camp and some of the players regretted sharing what they shared.

Pure speculation but I think our group is different to Richmond, Richmond players would have responded to the stories with hugs and back rubs. Our playing group is a bit different, the like to give each other s**t. Trent Cotchin's idea of a prank is to put a players car keys in a can of tuna, then pay to replace the keys when they no longer work. Tex likes to put deep-heat in players underwear. I think some of what was shared might have been brought up again in banter and some players really didn't like that and it made them regret the entire exercise.
Interesting post. Seems like you have some inside source? Or do you just happen to have a very good imagination?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
You seem to think it’s genuine intel, do you have further thoughts to that? Or just would like to point out it’s “obvious intel”?
I thought that when I said “from his other posts” that he has a connection to the club so I’m guessing it’s intel.
Or he listened to Fagans last interview where he said as much.

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting post. Seems like you have some inside source? Or do you just happen to have a very good imagination?

I talk to one of the club's masseurs a bit but like i said, that was mostly speculation, I haven't been told that directly but what I do know is the camp seemed like a bigger issue in say round 15 than it did in round 3, so reading between the lines the players who regretted sharing, regretted it more as time went on not immediately and In my mind the only thing that will do that is having what you shared brought back up when you wish it wasn't.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I talk to one of the club's masseurs a bit but like i said, that was mostly speculation, I haven't been told that directly but what I do know is the camp seemed like a bigger issue in say round 15 than it did in round 3, so reading between the lines the players who regretted sharing, regretted it more as time went on not immediately and In my mind the only thing that will do that is having what you shared brought back up when you wish it wasn't.
You mean rounds 10-13? After the bye, getting more players back, we won 6 of the last 9 games, and 2 of the 3 losses were 2 goal losses. Suggests to me the team was overall mentally doing ok. It was the physical component of the season that had let us down mid year.

Your speculation has some merit, just it doesn’t quite fit with the reporting at the start of the year - the reporting of “mind training disaster” should imply the team would have cracked very early on during the season. If it was a latent reaction (as in post-traumatic stress type reaction), then how would McNure know there was going to be a latent reaction with his earlier reporting?

Back