News Media Phantom Drafts & Rankings 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

n1ck

Debutant
Oct 23, 2007
Bentleigh East
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looks like there's some definite elite top-level talent in this year's draft pool. And another elite midfielder (likened to Patrick Cripps) in the GWS academy...

From Cal Twomey, afl.com.au

"THIS year's NAB AFL Draft pool is dividing opinion. There is genuine top-end talent, but probably not the same star factor as the 2018 crop.
Beyond the opening couple of spots, the draft class is very even. Which will make the Phantom Form Guide an interesting task throughout 2019 as we rank the best talents in the pool."

Maybe it’s my bias, but why isn’t Robertson higher ? What’s the knock on him ? Won every award there is to win

Maybe it’s my bias, but why isn’t Robertson higher ? What’s the knock on him ? Won every award there is to win
He hasn't won every award there is to win. Rowell won all the National Academy awards.

I liken him to Jack Graham from SA in 2016. Won the Lark Medal for the U18 National Championships, then went pick 53 to Richmond in the National Draft that year.

Good junior, but AFL scouts might not see the same scope, or might not see him having the same impact at AFL level.

He'll get drafted, it doesn't matter too much if it first round or second round.

Honestly I'd have him higher than Flanders & definitely in the top 5 mids available. Always hard with these lists taking into account what clubs' needs are in regards to the type of player. But I honestly think he is up there just behind Anderson/Rowell. The biggest concern was his running ability but that's the easiest thing to improve so I don't think that will throw too many recruiters off.

Thought a separate thread to discuss these would be appropriate. First couple dropped today.

Cal Twomey's Phantom Form Guide (July):

Matt Balmer's Fox Footy top 20:

Consensus on the top six (Rowell, Anderson, then mixed orders of Young, Serong, Green and Ash), then it opens up.

Last edited:
Think there is a perception that he has already peaked. A high floor but low ceiling in Terms of where he could end up.
Wouldn't be the first one to be pigeon holed too early

Thanks for chucking these up Nick.

Haven't had a good look at Balmer's 2019 predictions yet but I will be in time.

What I think right now, and maybe its just me, Hayden Young should be going at Pick 2. Melbourne or Adelaide (via Carlton) could both do with him more than Anderson / Rowell.

Saying that I was firmly on board Davies Uniacke to the Lions at pick 1 back in 2017 which never eventuated.

Lots to play out yet and really unfortunate that Kemp looks like he will miss the next 12 months. Slides now and there may be concerns from interstate clubs in drafting him unless they allow him the time to rehab back in Victoria, a viable option.

This is hidden behind a pay wall, can someone please post content of the article.

Many thanks.
1. Rowell
2. Anderson
3. Young
4. Serong
5. Stephens
6. Ash
7. Flanders
8. Gould
9. McAsey
10. Henry
11-30. Bianco, Bryan, Comben, Day, De Koning, Dow, Green, Jones, Kemp, Maginness, Mead, Robertson, Rantall, Sharp, Schoenberg, Taheny, Taylor, Weightman, Williams, Worrell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately no baffling "plays like" comparisons this time.
I love the trends in those.

For a time every kid who could run more than 15m was 'plays like Stephen Hill'.
Anyone over 185cm who didn't spray the ball was 'plays like Pendlebury'
Now anyone over 188cm who has played in more than one position during the year 'plays like Bontempelli'

I love the trends in those.

For a time every kid who could run more than 15m was 'plays like Stephen Hill'.
Anyone over 185cm who didn't spray the ball was 'plays like Pendlebury'
Now anyone over 188cm who has played in more than one position during the year 'plays like Bontempelli'

Draft profiles are definitely unrealistic with their comparisons, but you'd hate to be a decently rated kid coming up just to draw comparisons to Relton Roberts or Jarrad Grant.

I look forward to the day someone gets;

'Tall key position defender that falls over a lot. Tries to punch, but often misses the ball. Looks athletic and has great work ethic in the gym, too bad there aren't dumbbells on the footy field' - Touted as the next Kyle Hartigan.

I was bored so I created a consensus phantom draft.

I combined multiple phantom drafts (9 so far) and then ranked players on their average selection.

Here are the top 60 results:

1572313592097.png

Nerdy stuff
  • I've included phantoms from Knightmare, Pie 4 Life, eDPS, Chris25, Davo-27, TerryWallet, LemmingMaster, Fooxfooty (Bishop?) and Cal Twomey
    • I wanted to use the BigFooty Phantom Trial, but decided it was too old (will use the next one). I have only used phantoms from post-champs
    • I will update as more phantoms are released and/or updated. If you want me to include your phantom, add it to this thread or PM me
  • Most drafts are Power Rankings but some are Phantoms
  • Some drafts run to top 30, some 40, and at max 50
  • Where a player has missed out on a draft, I have added an arbitrary 25% weighting. Eg not selected in a top 50? Player could be that person's 51st or 101st. I have no way of knowing, so my spreadsheet puts them down at 62.5 (50 * 1.25). The penalty for missing a top 50 is deliberately worse than missing a top 30.
  • I would have liked to use median, but that got tricky when players missed out on drafts so used average
  • I will share the spreadsheet in time, but 1) I am still tweaking it 2) Can't use google docs at work
  • In time if I get enough phantoms and CBF, I might do a BF consensus vs media consensus. So we can see who BF rates/hates.
Enjoy (or not)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back