News Media Phantom Drafts & Rankings 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair value is fair value. Clubs aren't going to give you a discount or not trade you a player because you made a reasonable bid.

The Giants traded up from 6 to 4, which means they tipped their hat that they are expecting a bid at 5, they can't exactly be upset if one comes there.
I'm not saying they'll be upset out anything, but that calling his name or not at that point won't get you him

I'm not saying they'll be upset out anything, but that calling his name or not at that point won't get you him
No but making someone pay as close to possible the value of a player should be forced, not let them slide to a position that suits them if Sydney or Melb(my wish) don't bid on Green what is the point of the draft?

We may as well go back to zones if we are just letting clubs take players for unders

You suggested it would burn bridges for a future trade. I significantly doubt that. A team isn't handing out brownie points for the sides that don't bid so they can't exactly hold it against the sides that do. It's a business, list managers know that.

You suggested it would burn bridges for a future trade. I significantly doubt that. A team isn't handing out brownie points for the sides that don't bid so they can't exactly hold it against the sides that do. It's a business, list managers know that.
True but the AFL may hold a grudge if a side *s around the golden child

Remember last time Sydney messed with GWS (Buddy)

Probably wouldn't hold any grudges really you're right but you still gain nothing trying to select him

True but the AFL may hold a grudge if a side fu**s around the golden child

Remember last time Sydney messed with GWS (Buddy)
Doubt it, GWS are actually hoarding to much young midfield talent. Green, Hately, Caldwell, Bobby Hill and O'Halloran could all be the best young players at several clubs but are all probably outside the Giants best 22. The AFL would love the Gaints to win several flags but I don't think they are getting excited by good young midfielders performing well in the NEAFL.

The AFL announced they were removing Cola and Sydney used the last bits of extra salary cap space to wedge in the competitions most talented player. It was an incredibly bad faith move from the Swans.

Probably wouldn't hold any grudges really you're right but you still gain nothing trying to select him
You gain the Giants having to pay more and losing 2nd/3rd/4th round picks next year. Which means they are light on depth or picks and have to trade players.

There's nothing to lose if you rate Green as the best player on your board and I'd be shocked if that's not true somewhere at 5-7.

Fair value is fair value. Clubs aren't going to give you a discount or not trade you a player because you made a reasonable bid.

The Giants traded up from 6 to 4, which means they tipped their hat that they are expecting a bid at 5, they can't exactly be upset if one comes there.

I don't think there's any concept of burning bridges really - clubs with incoming FS or academy kids are fully aware that they have to be ready to pay the price wherever a bid comes and GWS know how highly rated Green is which is why they went after pick 4. They can't be upset at gaming the system and paying the market price for two top 5 picks when they were only in line for one at the start of the trade period.

The early days when clubs steered away from bidding early are well and truly gone now - I'm not sure when the first non-match happened, but probably the most significant one was Dunkley (even though it was mid 2nd-round) who is rapidly becoming a bona-fide gun for the Doggies after they went early in the second round knowing full well that Sydney likely wouldn't match after spending all their tickets on Mills.

The Giants this year would be over the moon that they'll get two gun prospects in this draft even if they have to go into 2020 with a significant deficit - I think if you asked any club (including us) if they'd do the same thing given the same circumstances the answer would be an unequivocal yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL would love the Gaints to win several flags...

Wait did you just let the cat out of the bag on a merger between GWS and St Kilda? I'd prefer GWSain'ts myself but I guess the Gaints kind works on some level (probably that one where they can jumble up words in a sentence and you can still read it somehow).

The AFL announced they were removing Cola and Sydney used the last bits of extra salary cap space to wedge in the competitions most talented player. It was an incredibly bad faith move from the Swans.

If I recall correctly the move to scrap COLA came after the Tippett and Buddy debacle, where despite their protestations to the contrary, the club used the COLA money directly to recruit what they thought were two of the league's premier KPF's in consecutive years on what were (at the time) massively overblown contracts.

I don't blame the Swans for it though - the AFL should have been managing the COLA from the start instead of letting Sydney build up a huge COLA-inflated war chest well above and beyond the salary cap to facilitate the offering of massive contracts to top shelf free agents.

Green at 10is twomey drunk? Sydney will bid.

Id love to get Robertson but no way he slides that far.
You're telling me that Sydney won't bid on the best local NSW player, let alone one with rights held by their biggest rival??? Of course they will do it to try and F them over!
Insider knowledge is a powerful thing, it seems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back