Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm interested to know if there is a agreed definition of Tanking.
Right now we're playing youth. If we see Dawson at FF, Neale in the ruck and Walters at FB, then yes we're tanking.

Yeah it's very subjective isn't it.

If the GF was next week would guys like Langdon, Hughes, Blakely, Crozier be playing. Are we putting out a side every week with the aim to win? The answer is no and Ross has covered himself by mentioning this many times.

Therefore it becomes interpretation and what some see as tanking many others will view it as providing opportunities and thinking ahead.

We did play DeBoer in the ruck. We have tinkered with many other things. We are deadset 100% tanking in that we ain't fielding our strongest side, but are the players going out and trying to win? I'd say yes.

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Rubbish

We made the prelim at home and might have one if Fyfe hadn't broken his leg. We could of easily beaten wc in the gf coz they played rubbish.

Strange as it sounds, it's a case of both. The second half of last year we had clearly run out of steam and limped into September. Even though it was our best H & A season ever. The cracks were plain to see, but the structure and game-plan held it together for us. Now without that game plan we are being found out.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Surprise no one pull out this picture yet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463310352.454593.jpg

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
Yeah it's very subjective isn't it.

If the GF was next week would guys like Langdon, Hughes, Blakely, Crozier be playing. Are we putting out a side every week with the aim to win? The answer is no and Ross has covered himself by mentioning this many times.

Therefore it becomes interpretation and what some see as tanking many others will view it as providing opportunities and thinking ahead.

We did play DeBoer in the ruck. We have tinkered with many other things. We are deadset 100% tanking in that we ain't fielding our strongest side, but are the players going out and trying to win? I'd say yes.

Yep. Spot on I reckon.

I call imagine Chris Bond calling Saul Goodman for the interpretation of tanking and receiving this reply. Lol

se17enteen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dillon Panthers
I think this week's media agenda will be about Fremantle and Tanking.

A few senior people in the media have already started with a few tweets.

Image1463314435.508735.jpg

We aren't bad enough to get the #1 pick

The real story will be what happens when Essendon finishes dead last ...

The AFL should give them the last pick from each round - rather than giving them a gift for having their players banned. Can't see it happening though

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Melbourne's fine was also given back to them, I believe.

Not directly. They were fined then within months were cap in hand to the AFL looking for special 'financial assistance', which they received the following year plus they then received 'help' with their CEO and coaching appointments ... short version, Roos' healthy salary is bankrolled by the AFL. It's the most contrived thing seen in the AFL in its modern history, then the GWS came along.

Anybody thinking we should go the serious tank would want to take a hard look at that period, it was a fiasco you avoid like the plague.

siteuser

Debutant
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's yours?
I'm of the view, considering the results of each match, as well as our club's ethos, that no we're not.
Yes, like a couple of others have stated, it was mentioned last week on the Nine Network's: Footy Classified.

Its bottom 6.

The fixture double up teams come from the brackets 1-6, 7-12, 13-18.

If we are 12th at round 23, it would be worth dropping the game. That would be considered tanking to gain an advantage.
Thankfully we're playing Bulldogs who will be fighting for ladder position in the 4/8. We wont need to tank.

Back