Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
Sep 9, 2007
19,692
48,687
Portland, Oregon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
David King is not infallible but he's shown a lot of nous and common sense in his assessment of us. If you only listened to commentators with a 100% strike rate on their predictions you'd have a pretty quiet radio.
That’s one way of looking at it.

I’ll give you a classic example - King said when Geelong played Brisbane that Cameron wouldn’t get many goals due to the way Geelong defend. He kicked 5 and won the match off his own boot.

My take is this: King has no idea what style of football Port is attempting to play because his brain is too structured - he probably looks at the statistics and thinks it’s all luck. But what he’s really concerned about is the fact that if he can’t explain it, he’ll be out of a job...because that’s what he’s paid for.

However, if we had one more game against a bottom four opponent - like every team in the eight had - we would have been in finals instead of Essendon or the Bulldogs. Even with the inconsistent play we had throughout the year.

It’s funny you mention nous. Do you know what the original meaning of that word is? In classical Greek philosophy, it relates to perception of the mind...an internal rationale that we believe is true even though it may not actually be. It was stated that man needed a divine/spiritual influence to develop proper nous because otherwise his perception would be limited to his own experience.

So the reason why this board thinks King is speaking truth is because he is speaking from the same perception you all hold.

It doesn’t make it true, though.
 

OneGreatClub

Hall of Famer
Nov 6, 2014
35,807
38,145
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Don't worry. The narrative will be one of the following: Bays triumph over traditional rival Port Adelaide or Port Power's AFL listed reserves side downs brave Bays.
Yes, both the Crows reserves and the Bays will be announced as brave this weekend.
 

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
Oct 12, 2007
17,059
17,353
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That’s one way of looking at it.

I’ll give you a classic example - King said when Geelong played Brisbane that Cameron wouldn’t get many goals due to the way Geelong defend. He kicked 5 and won the match off his own boot.

My take is this: King has no idea what style of football Port is attempting to play because his brain is too structured - he probably looks at the statistics and thinks it’s all luck. But what he’s really concerned about is the fact that if he can’t explain it, he’ll be out of a job...because that’s what he’s paid for.

However, if we had one more game against a bottom four opponent - like every team in the eight had - we would have been in finals instead of Essendon or the Bulldogs. Even with the inconsistent play we had throughout the year.

It’s funny you mention nous. Do you know what the original meaning of that word is? In classical Greek philosophy, it relates to perception of the mind...an internal rationale that we believe is true even though it may not actually be. It was stated that man needed a divine/spiritual influence to develop proper nous because otherwise his perception would be limited to his own experience.

So the reason why this board thinks King is speaking truth is because he is speaking from the same perception you all hold.

It doesn’t make it true, though.
Oh to get bundled our first week of finals like Essendon.

What a successful 7th season in charge that would be!

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
 

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
14,660
36,402
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Saying we can win the flag if we continue playing the right way and saying we will win the flag regardless of the performance of the team is different again.
Most of the teams in the comp can win the flag if they play the right way, that absolutely goes without saying. How are David King's incorrect predictions any different to yours in that respect?

"Guys I wasn't wrong, it's just that we didn't keep playing good so.."
 

tribey

5 Wins In-A-Row Certificate Recipients '13/'14/'18
Mar 9, 2003
58,188
134,454
Queen St & Peter Rd
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
NUFC, YES.
It's bloody funny ..
Bucky said Port were not going to have a team in the SANFL when we applied for the AFL licence.
It was the SANFL who insisted that Port have a team in there and were not allowed to be at Alberton.
Now non Port people are complaining about it ..
How about blaming the SANFL.
Bruce Weber intended to move lock-stock into the AFL (under the prevailing structure of Reserves, U19, U17) as part of the first bid.

Second bid, Bucky intended to retain the Magpies in the SANFL in a ‘one club’ manner similar to what we had circa 2011-2013, but the SA Football Commission refused after other clubs complained we’d funnel rivers of AFL gold into the already dominant Magpies and never lose again.

The subsequent ultimatum was shelve the Magpies completely, or divorce SANFL operations elsewhere. Bucky and the club chose the latter, hence Ethelton and the PAMFC.
 

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
Sep 9, 2007
19,692
48,687
Portland, Oregon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
Most of the teams in the comp can win the flag if they play the right way, that absolutely goes without saying. How are David King's incorrect predictions any different to yours in that respect?

"Guys I wasn't wrong, it's just that we didn't keep playing good so.."
Do you think we played the same way against West Coast, Geelong and Adelaide (the second time) all year?

Did we put on the same forward pressure that we did against Sydney all year?

Or did we fluctuate between good and bad performances, where it was very rare that we could say everyone played well two weeks in a row?

I’m saying our problem is inconsistency of performance, which can be addressed with the list we have. David King is saying that it’s the coach and the list that is the problem.

Going from inconsistent to consistent is something that requires connection and belief from the playing group. It’s an internal fix, and it’s one of those things that requires the positive reinforcement of a victory against a rated opponent. When teams say “This was the victory that turned our season around”...this is what they are referring to.

That’s what we need.
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
14,660
36,402
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do you think we played the same way against West Coast, Geelong and Adelaide (the second time) all year?

Did we put on the same forward pressure that we did against Sydney all year?

Or did we fluctuate between good and bad performances, where it was very rare that we could say everyone played well two weeks in a row?

I’m saying our problem is inconsistency of performance, which can be addressed with the list we have. David King is saying that it’s the coach and the list that is the problem.

Going from inconsistent to consistent is something that requires connection and belief from the playing group. It’s an internal fix, and it’s one of those things that requires the positive reinforcement of a victory against a rated opponent. When teams say “This was the victory that turned our season around”...this is what they are referring to.

That’s what we need.
You do realise it's not just this group that's been inconsistent right? I posted up some direct Ken Hinkley quotes a little while ago and each one was centered around inconsistency. We've been having consistency issues for his entire tenure and you still want to blame the squad, no matter who is in it.

David King is right, it's coaching. When a team is capable of playing top shelf football but a week later has a horrible drop off in form, it's a mental weakness. This coaching regime doesn't know how to prepare a team each and every week.

Not that long ago you made the claim that in the off-season the playing group had made a commitment to eachother like the 2006 Geelong team did. I guess that was wrong too?
 

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
Sep 9, 2007
19,692
48,687
Portland, Oregon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
You do realise it's not just this group that's been inconsistent right? I posted up some direct Ken Hinkley quotes a little while ago and each one was centered around inconsistency. We've been having consistency issues for his entire tenure and you still want to blame the squad, no matter who is in it.

David King is right, it's coaching. When a team is capable of playing top shelf football but a week later has a horrible drop off in form, it's a mental weakness. This coaching regime doesn't know how to prepare a team each and every week.

Not that long ago you made the claim that in the off-season the playing group had made a commitment to eachother like the 2006 Geelong team did. I guess that was wrong too?
I believe most of them did.

The guys who didn’t are the ones will find themselves out of the club in trade week.
 

Schulzenfest

TheBrownDog
Feb 23, 2008
50,958
127,342
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
However, if we had one more game against a bottom four opponent - like every team in the eight had - we would have been in finals instead of Essendon or the Bulldogs. Even with the inconsistent play we had throughout the year.
Okay. So what? If we'd snuck into 8th on the back of some luck with the fixture does that make 2019 a successful year?

In any event, the fixture isn't our biggest problem when all we had to do to make finals was beat the 12th placed team with nothing to play for and we got done by 86 points.

I believe most of them did.

The guys who didn’t are the ones will find themselves out of the club in trade week.
But wasn't last year the year when we traded out all the players who weren't committed to the club?
 

Magus

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
14,660
36,402
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But wasn't last year the year when we traded out all the players who weren't committed to the club?
Exactly. Without going back to find exact quotes, I'm sure Janus told us that getting rid of the guys we did last year was one of the reasons we'd win the flag. I believe he even compared Jared Polec to Nick Stevens.
 

Janus

Dominus Ex Machina
Sep 9, 2007
19,692
48,687
Portland, Oregon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bulls
Okay. So what? If we'd snuck into 8th on the back of some luck with the fixture does that make 2019 a successful year?

In any event, the fixture isn't our biggest problem when all we had to do to make finals was beat the 12th placed team with nothing to play for and we got done by 86 points.
I firmly believe that game was a stitch up by North Melbourne. The commentators said that they hadn't played like that for the six weeks under Shaw, and suddenly they come out and completely change their style, going from being a long and direct team that gets it on the boot fast to one that runs the ball in waves like Essendon and the Bulldogs do? It was a sucker punch game that we couldn't prepare for, because all our forward scouting and preparation was thrown out the window. Absolutely meaningless.

The games you should be looking at are the GWS game where we failed to capitalise on easy shots at goal (the Sam Gray fu** up) and then continually bombed it in to make it somebody else's problem, the Richmond game where we did the same, and the first Adelaide game where we...you guessed it...did the same.

I'll say it again: no coach in the league, I don't care who it is, is instructing their players to just bomb it into the forward line when there are multiple defenders back there to intercept. No coach in the league is telling players to kick the ball to the advantage of the defender time and time again.

If there was a stat for efficiency of kicks to inside 50, we'd be dead last. Who are the people who are notorious for being crap with delivery inside 50 under no pressure? Sam Gray, Powell-Pepper, Wines. Surprise surprise, these are the players who are being talked about as up for trade or haven't been given a new contract yet.

Exactly. Without going back to find exact quotes, I'm sure Janus told us that getting rid of the guys we did last year was one of the reasons we'd win the flag. I believe he even compared Jared Polec to Nick Stevens.
You want those players back, do you?

And I said that Polec was the most disingenuous player since Nick Stevens. A player who professes love for a club but then trips and falls into a massive contract elsewhere isn't being congruent.
 

TheFVK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2008
6,439
21,647
Amsterdam
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Stoke City
That’s one way of looking at it.

I’ll give you a classic example - King said when Geelong played Brisbane that Cameron wouldn’t get many goals due to the way Geelong defend. He kicked 5 and won the match off his own boot.

My take is this: King has no idea what style of football Port is attempting to play because his brain is too structured - he probably looks at the statistics and thinks it’s all luck. But what he’s really concerned about is the fact that if he can’t explain it, he’ll be out of a job...because that’s what he’s paid for.

However, if we had one more game against a bottom four opponent - like every team in the eight had - we would have been in finals instead of Essendon or the Bulldogs. Even with the inconsistent play we had throughout the year.

It’s funny you mention nous. Do you know what the original meaning of that word is? In classical Greek philosophy, it relates to perception of the mind...an internal rationale that we believe is true even though it may not actually be. It was stated that man needed a divine/spiritual influence to develop proper nous because otherwise his perception would be limited to his own experience.

So the reason why this board thinks King is speaking truth is because he is speaking from the same perception you all hold.

It doesn’t make it true, though.
What on earth is your point?

> Of course I think King is speaking the truth because it aligns with what I think.
> What I think is based on what I believe is the truth.
> If King's opinion didn't align with what I think, then I wouldn't think he is speaking the truth, would I?
> And of course this doesn't make either King's, or my opinion true.
 

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
Oct 12, 2007
17,059
17,353
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I firmly believe that game was a stitch up by North Melbourne. The commentators said that they hadn't played like that for the six weeks under Shaw, and suddenly they come out and completely change their style, going from being a long and direct team that gets it on the boot fast to one that runs the ball in waves like Essendon and the Bulldogs do? It was a sucker punch game that we couldn't prepare for, because all our forward scouting and preparation was thrown out the window. Absolutely meaningless.

The games you should be looking at are the GWS game where we failed to capitalise on easy shots at goal (the Sam Gray fu** up) and then continually bombed it in to make it somebody else's problem, the Richmond game where we did the same, and the first Adelaide game where we...you guessed it...did the same.

I'll say it again: no coach in the league, I don't care who it is, is instructing their players to just bomb it into the forward line when there are multiple defenders back there to intercept. No coach in the league is telling players to kick the ball to the advantage of the defender time and time again.

If there was a stat for efficiency of kicks to inside 50, we'd be dead last. Who are the people who are notorious for being crap with delivery inside 50 under no pressure? Sam Gray, Powell-Pepper, Wines. Surprise surprise, these are the players who are being talked about as up for trade or haven't been given a new contract yet.



You want those players back, do you?

And I said that Polec was the most disingenuous player since Nick Stevens. A player who professes love for a club but then trips and falls into a massive contract elsewhere isn't being congruent.
So we got outcoached in the North game.

You aren't making the argument you think you are.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
 

chickentendies

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2017
1,196
4,300
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What on earth is your point?

> Of course I think King is speaking the truth because it aligns with what I think.
> What I think is based on what I believe is the truth.
> If King's opinion didn't align with what I think, then I wouldn't think he is speaking the truth, would I?
> And of course this doesn't make either King's, or my opinion true.
Kingy can't even reach 7 stage chakra, dude is a rookie
 

Top Bottom