Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got lots of good footy memories at Footy park - mostly finals and grand finals. The trouble with it was it needed 30 thousand people in there to not feel like a desolate wasteland. It certainly wasn't a white elephant, it served it's purpose, then just came to the end of its natural life. The sanfl clung on for about a decade too long but it was a cash cow for them so no surprise they didn't want to let go.

Waverley was horrific. Everything negative about footy park x10
Only went there once - we got a footy lesson from the Hawks in one of those preseason finals. We drove there and to this day I still don’t know how we got there and how we left there! That was the game where either FF or DD (I can’t remember which one) had a lightning bolt trimmed into the back of their head
Boy the Vic media certainly went to town on that one!

Only went there once - we got a footy lesson from the Hawks in one of those preseason finals. We drove there and to this day I still don’t know how we got there and how we left there! That was the game where either FF or DD (I can’t remember which one) had a lightning bolt trimmed into the back of their head
I liked Fabian Francis

as a footballer

I was at the same game. Donald Dickie had the lightning bolt hair cut

The amazing thing about the place was that if you were on one wing on the boundary and the play was on the far side to you couldn't see below the players knees. And how could they get seats that were 100 years old into a stadium that was only 30 years old? I only went once as well but saw a cracking game North Melbourne v Hawthorn overtime win and Carey was incredible.

Went there the once in our first year in the AFL. You had to stand and sit down carefully so you didn't get a splinter and be telling your (at the time) GF 'Sorry out of action at the moment'.

It was the game against the Hawks where we were about 5 goals down then got a run on and a couple back. Ball in play right on the boundary line in a 'right in front of me' moment, but could see it was still in. Wanganeen streaming towards a certain goal and us to be within 2 and a good chance of an upset. Umpire from further away then I was called it out and we lost all momentum and Hawks kicked away. So I have zero fond memories of that ground for any reason. It made Football Park look modern and conveniently located.

Last edited:

It was a Mohawk and he played like dogshit

Scared dogshit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.afl.com.au/news/616194

What the *? Because free agency might impact the BiG vIcCo clubs for once instead of the interstates they should get to cheat the salary cap?

This competition is so ******* lopsided it's farcical. No one thought there should be a loyalty payment when Shiel or Cameron or Lynch or Dangerfield or a million others walked through free agency to Victoria.

What the fu**? Because free agency might impact the BiG vIcCo clubs for once instead of the interstates they should get to cheat the salary cap?

This competition is so ******* lopsided it's farcical. No one thought there should be a loyalty payment when Shiel or Cameron or Lynch or Dangerfield or a million others walked through free agency to Victoria.
Well unless others start calling it out, it won’t change

What the fu**? Because free agency might impact the BiG vIcCo clubs for once instead of the interstates they should get to cheat the salary cap?

We essentially had something similar to this with the veterans list, but the AFL saw fit to scrap it just as Boak/Gray/Westhoff turned 30 🤪

We essentially had something similar to this with the veterans list, but the AFL saw fit to scrap it just as Boak/Gray/Westhoff turned 30 🤪
Yeah, start reading that and thinking 'Wait this is the veterans list' for it to get a brief mention at the end. As a concept I don't mind it, I don't think the Veteran's list should ever have been scrapped. However I'd make it a Marquee player clause, each club could only put one player on it, not multiple one's. Also then since it'd only apply at Free Agency (I'd make it at RFA), then clubs wouldn't be able to match an RFA/FA deal. If you consider a particular player so important, you should make them your marque player and pay the extra. If all that extra money still won't want them staying, then they obviously desperately want out.

Don’t you love the examples. Let’s help Carlton, Essendon and Footscray cheat the cap wait too obvious quick throw in Josh Kelly!

On the subject of Footy Park, I'm too young to remember this but heard a few years ago that a bomb detonated in the car park at he shopping centre across the road during game-day. Mid 70s I think.

The other memorable even was the tragic end for the sky diver during a State Game, circa 1987.
I'm pretty sure the skydiver incident was at a Australia v Ireland game. I was lining up waiting to get in and saw the skydivers come down pretty much directly overhead. Remarked to my old man that one of them looked like he wasn't going to make it into the stadium and land in the car park. Anyway he turned sharply and his chute kind of collapsed and he fell quite a long way onto the outer roof.

I'm pretty sure the skydiver incident was at a Australia v Ireland game. I was lining up waiting to get in and saw the skydivers come down pretty much directly overhead. Remarked to my old man that one of them looked like he wasn't going to make it into the stadium and land in the car park. Anyway he turned sharply and his chute kind of collapsed and he fell quite a long way onto the outer roof.

How did I not know about this? The SA mafia really sweep negatives about the old girl under the rug, hey.

I tried to google it for confirmation but found nothing.

I thought it was a State Game, you could very well be right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back