Roast Media Shakes Head, Part 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pappagallo

Co(m)poster
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You cant win every year is such a straw man argument.

Literally noone is suggesting we should.

What we should be doing is winning as often (or more) than the benchmark clubs.

If Hawthorn, WCE and Richmond can do it. Why not us?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was us. We won more games than anyone in our first 10 years in the AFL. It just gets forgotten about somewhat because we only netted the one flag in that time and then quickly devolved into a povo laughing stock.

Enviable Tradition

Professional Procrastinator
Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was us. We won more games than anyone in our first 10 years in the AFL. It just gets forgotten about somewhat because we only netted the one flag in that time and then quickly devolved into a povo laughing stock.
I meant winning flags not games.

1 is OK but it's not the benchmark.

Malibu#27

Premium Platinum
Feb 25, 2002
Barossa Valley
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Redbacks
You cant win every year is such a straw man argument.

Literally noone is suggesting we should.

What we should be doing is winning as often (or more) than the benchmark clubs.

If Hawthorn, WCE and Richmond can do it. Why not us?

The thing with those three clubs you’ve mentioned is they have generally all had success based on several consecutive (or close together) years where they can bring on multiple top end talents to come through together.

All of them also got assisted with priority picks at different stages - because they were shit at times.

It feels like getting a heap of young talent together at the same time is they key first step to prolonged success. .... I figure that only happens if your ‘very bad’ or adventurous at the trade and draft.

So I guess I agree with the why not us question ?

Pappagallo

Co(m)poster
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I meant winning flags not games.

1 is OK but it's not the benchmark.

No it’s not the benchmark but we were only a couple of bad games away from turning that into 2 or maybe even 3 flags over that time. The main thing is that we won a shitload of games during the year and finished Top 4 consistently, which is exactly what you need to do in order to win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

charcolechaddy

Premium Platinum
Sep 24, 2008
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
La lakers. Oakland Raiders, bunny’s
If they want us to accept that I am going to go find another sport to follow. I can't accept that we don't want to win every damn year. Gaelic football looks fun.
I can except not winning every year, but show me process that with the right mix of luck and management could actually lead to this outcome.

Tibbs

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just don’t get the Kornes love.
He talks absolute shit most of the time.
What, and the rest don't?

Personal preferences aside, Cornes is a sharp and accomplished on-air presenter and commentator. Certainly better than 90% of the dinosaur football players-turned-commentors that infest the AFL media landscape, with their soul-less diatribe! He also is able to present a knowledgeable viewpoint of SA players and Clubs, unlike most of the others who have no idea.

We might not always agree with his opinions, but honestly, are ours any sounder at times?

Top Bottom