Status
Not open for further replies.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Controversial opinion; I think children should be able to play violin any day of the year

I'm not sure I like this. What if the devil comes down and challenges a crowd of people to a duel of any sort for the souls of humanity and some kid is over-confident because he has been playing violin every day and so takes on the devil in a violin contest and loses?

I'm not sure I like this. What if the devil comes down and challenges a crowd of people to a duel of any sort for the souls of humanity and some kid is over-confident because he has been playing violin every day and so takes on the devil in a violin contest and loses?

The real devil wouldn’t like s**t songs like that.

Feb 26, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons, LA Kings, RED SOX
foosball.gif

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
wHY dn't U GO to wERK THEn? cheKmat1!
That’s the beauty of a Good Friday night match... I’ll go to work, bank a K then go watch us get beaten in a close one!
Most boring day of the year sorted!

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you are of Christian beliefs and principles, surely you can attend early Mass (or midnight Mass in some cases) and pay sue respect and homage to both the Day, and the person it represents and honours - and still enjoy a game of footy?

That wouldn't give them the chance to get offended and bitch about stuff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
I'm of a religious ilk I guess and have no problem with good Friday football

It's pretty much ANZAC Day for Churches, why not?

There's Christians who do as evil and/or far worse things on an 'holy day' than what the secular types at the football are doing

I mean, the church should be outraged at the three or four out of the seven deadly sins we commit as part of Christmas traditions

America is far more religious than Australia and most of the country doesn't get a day off for Good Friday. I reckon maybe 1 in 10 Australians takes Good Friday even remotely religiously seriously.

They've played on Christmas Day in the NBA for decades.

Holiday discussion moved here

Holidays and footy - Vic clubs get to play in them
ANZAC Day - since 1994 Collinwood and Essendon exclusive if not a Saturday or Sunday game
Easter Monday - now is Geelong v Hawks and has been Vic clubs before that
Queen's Birthday - has been Melbourne home game v Collingwood since 2001.

Good Friday - arvo 2 vic clubs first 2 years, this year WCE v Port for night game and next year PA v WCE, lets see how long before that becomes an exclusive Vic teams only game.

Saw this article on AFL's website re why they cut Marngrook Footy Show, which was a lot more of an explanation than the link I put up a couple of pages back why it was cut. People were switching off in droves.

THE NATION'S indigenous broadcaster has committed to a fresh focus on football in 2020 despite axing the Marngrook Footy Show. NITV will shift to targeting a younger audience after parting ways with the legacy program in September following a 12-year partnership. Channel manager Tanya Denning Orman told AFL.com.au that NITV would only be ramping up its football programming next year. "We totally agree that the national indigenous channel needs programs that deliver to the footy fans and we've got all intentions to keep meeting that desire," Denning Orman said.

"It's not Marngrook, we're really keen to target young people and work in the digital space, partners out bush and making it more national. "NITV has not walked away from footy, it's quite the opposite, we're shifting gears. "We're getting ready for a new phase in 2020 when it comes to footy and footy entertainment programing."

Denning Orman, who forms part of the AFL's Indigenous Advisory Group, said the Marngrook program lost a large chunk of its viewers in recent years, forcing the decision for the reset. Marngrook aired on NITV from 2007 with stints across ABC and SBS. "I think it has a legacy piece where people love it and love the idea of it and may not have been watching it or engaging with it. "In the last three years, it dropped 63 per cent, a huge amount of those out of Melbourne. "We gave them a chance with no experience and we love to see how far they've come.

Denning Orman, who forms part of the AFL's Indigenous Advisory Group, said the Marngrook program lost a large chunk of its viewers in recent years, forcing the decision for the reset. Marngrook aired on NITV from 2007 with stints across ABC and SBS. "I think it has a legacy piece where people love it and love the idea of it and may not have been watching it or engaging with it. "In the last three years, it dropped 63 per cent, a huge amount of those out of Melbourne. "We gave them a chance with no experience and we love to see how far they've come.

Tucked away in the article about kids getting $500k without playing a game was a little statement that said the AFL broadcast rights would be sold for overall less money than they were previously.

I think you'll find that this drop is going to be felt everywhere. I reckon the AFL oversold the value of their rights to Fox Sports, who had to drop EPL in order to pay for it. You reckon Fox is going to make that same mistake again? There's more value in paying $50m a year for that coverage and paying $368m a year for the AFL rights than there is in paying $418m a year for AFL by comparison if your trying to get the maximum amount of subscribers.

When the AFL rights were first signed, Foxtel had the option of on-selling one game to a FTA network. They thought they would be able to sell it to Channel 10 and recoup some of the money. They were wrong - mainly because 7 always takes the best games in the schedule that would appeal to a national audience. There's also the added costs of AFLW that were probably promoted as extra viewers that never actually materialised and has just ended up as a money sink.

Optus Sport has 700,000 subscribers thanks the EPL, Champions League and Europa League. For the amount of money they are paying by comparison to Foxtel, they are miles in front profit wise. By comparison, Kayo has less than 300,000. If I was running Fox, I'd be telling the AFL 'Yeah, it's not you, it's me...you're not getting anywhere near what you got last time.'

This might explain why growing the game in China is so vitally important for the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back