Opinion Media vs Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Now I don't watch a lot of other sport other than AFL and F1 but I have to say, I have not seen an industry that has just open contempt for their audience. When I listen to a lot of AFL media personalities (cough Kornes Cough Carro) I just get nothing but contempt for the average AFL fan. They all moralise and try to pass judgement about towards fans and those who pay their wage. You get the feeling that they would prefer to only give their opinion to each other and never actually be in the public eye.

* me, Gamergate was pretty hostile between journalists and the public but in these cretins are just far worse.

The AFL media are dominated by nuffies - it's an extremely unprofessional media landscape. Would not pass muster in other countries.
100%, I follow the EPL and the standard of analysis and discussion is so much better, and while I don't follow it but from others that do the coverage of the big USA sports eg. NFL, NBA is also of a very high standard.

Agree entirely with OP and have thought the same for many years. It's not just the media either, it's the AFL industry as a whole including coaches and players.

Do your self a favour and don't watch or listen to any of the AFL media. I only watch games now and I'm almost at the point of turning the commentary off too - except for when Jobe is on. He's sooooo bad it's good.

Agree entirely with OP and have thought the same for many years. It's not just the media either, it's the AFL industry as a whole including coaches and players.

Do your self a favour and don't watch or listen to any of the AFL media. I only watch games now and I'm almost at the point of turning the commentary off too - except for when Jobe is on. He's sooooo bad it's good.

The only games where I don't want to bayonet the entire commentary team are in Perth with Papalia and co. They're actually ok. Must be the isolation.

Agree on the rest, I've gone from watching every footy show on every channel to exactly none now. Don't miss anything either.

Last edited:
Shouldn't expect anything less when it's populated solely by a mates' club of ex-players and insecure "journalists" who desperately suck up to them.

And they are all in the pocket of the AFL. Which is why there is so little criticism, except when things are totally messed up and the AFL is blatantly wrong making it impossible to toe the line.

The online world has allowed for anyone & their mother to spew arrogant sh!t that they'd never say to someone face - to - face.

It has also resulted in negativity bias getting compounded to the absurd levels they're currently at.

Fans on social media get more joy out of their opposition losing then their own team winning. The same way that journos will magnetize towards out of form players instead of talking up the superstars.

Jobe is paid to commentate … enough said
I'm thinking this gig is his payoff so he never talks about the drugs saga and how he was wronged by the AFL again. This guy was sick of the game when he left and now I'm supposed to believe he's fallen in love with it again, I don't think so, he's a f****** parasite that offers nothing to the viewer.

And they are all in the pocket of the AFL. Which is why there is so little criticism, except when things are totally messed up and the AFL is blatantly wrong making it impossible to toe the line.
Yeah, the fact that Michael Warner says in his "Boys Club" book that people from the AFL have called his editor to try and get him to toe the line and also taken away accreditation is something that really needs to be spoken about more.

The AFL is basically on the same level as North Korea and forcing people to keep up the lie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking this gig is his payoff so he never talks about the drugs saga and how he was wronged by the AFL again. This guy was sick of the game when he left and now I'm supposed to believe he's fallen in love with it again, I don't think so, he's a f****** parasite that offers nothing to the viewer.

The same media network that funded Ben Robert-smith legal team …

Our media in this country is corrupt to its core.

Yeah, the fact that Michael Warner says in his "Boys Club" book that people from the AFL have called his editor to try and get him to toe the line and also taken away accreditation is something that really needs to be spoken about more.

The AFL is basically on the same level as North Korea and forcing people to keep up the lie.

I have no doubt they hand out Grand Final tickets to the friendly journos and turn a blind eye to them then being sold.

I say this because its what Id do if I was the AFL.

100%, I follow the EPL and the standard of analysis and discussion is so much better
It really isn't. EPL punditry and commentary is filled with ex-players who are as out of touch with modern football as the ones in AFL media.

And the journos are an absolute disgrace, literally just making up stories and creating rumours. Most of them are basically mouthpieces for certain clubs.

Fans on social media get more joy out of their opposition losing then their own team winning. The same way that journos will magnetize towards out of form players instead of talking up the susuperstars
Or the next coach to get sacked. Pretty much what Footy Classified is all about.

Why are people surprised about the media all towing the same party line, when they know pretty much all media outlets are controlled by News Corp and Fairfax?

Cornes is a shock jock, so don't pay attention to him

As for the majority of footy media, the accreditation cam be taken away if they don't toe the company lines

The shame is though, when Cornes isn't trying to create attention, he's one of the few who will actually make genuine observations about players and not just blindly worship star players like everyone else does.

Why are people surprised about the media all towing the same party line, when they know pretty much all media outlets are controlled by News Corp and Fairfax?
Which basically means the IPA these days.

The shame is though, when Cornes isn't trying to create attention, he's one of the few who will actually make genuine observations about players and not just blindly worship star players like everyone else does.
This is so true. Cornes is a *******, probably wouldn't be if he concentrated on using his brain to discuss things instead of chasing clicks for bucks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back