M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
jason pm maybe this thread is for you if you want people to help you focus. :)
Thanks TP, really appreciate the tip, I didn't even know this thread existed. I had a quick read through the thread, lots of good advice and links. In a broad sense nothing I hadn't already heard from you though.

I need to get into a routine like I do with my running which I find very relaxing. I have tried it on and off for years, too many thoughts invade the space.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
What are the biggest differences you’ve noticed from one to two and then from two to three?

the biggest difference is that I have a better understanding of the technique. Although the meditation is straight forward I wasn't doing the equanimity with cravings properly (or at all). When i did my first vipassana i had extreme grosse sensations so it was fairly obvious on what I had to do, ie. detatch myself from the sensations and observe them objectively. I put so much focus on this I forgot to do this with the subtle sensations.

Now I don't really get grosse sensations and I realised that I wasn't doing the technique with the subtle sensations.

Also I was able to handle distractions in my mind alot better. My mind plays the most amazing tricks to get attention away from what i'm doing and many times i was able to combat this (often I wasn't). Overall I got a better insight into my monkey mind.

When i was able to combat extreme distraction then not long after something huge would release. I look forward to doing my next 10 day :)

I just finished my 3rd 10 day vipassana. They get better and better each time.

Anicca
Where did you do it?

I have a few friends who have been on retreats within Oz who have loved it. I struggle with meditation (overactive mind - even tested it on an overnight sleep study with electrodes, monitors etc). Interested in intro courses.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Where did you do it?

I have a few friends who have been on retreats within Oz who have loved it. I struggle with meditation (overactive mind - even tested it on an overnight sleep study with electrodes, monitors etc). Interested in intro courses.
I have done it in healsville, and the blue mountains.
The first time i did it i went into the course unable to meditate for 5 mins. After 10 days i could do an hour.
A worthwhile adventure
Everyone has an overactive mind but you can train your mind to stabalise. I am not an expert but ........ i learn new things each time.

Last edited:

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Ps. Jump into the deep end, meaning, don't worry about how bad you think at meditating - you can still do the course and will get an incredible amount out of it.

Having said that do what you want but don't let your thoughts talk you out of it. Anyone can do one of these courses.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Where did you do it?

I'm going to do a 10 dayer at Pomona early next year, can't book in yet but I have it highlighted on the calendar, they book out quickly.
http://www.rasmi.dhamma.org/index.html

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I'm going to do a 10 dayer at Pomona early next year, can't book in yet but I have it highlighted on the calendar, they book out quickly.
http://www.rasmi.dhamma.org/index.html
I went on the waiting list for a retreat at Pomona and was accepted within days.

People pull out regularly so it worth going on the waiting list.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Ps. Jump into the deep end, meaning, don't worry about how bad you think at meditating - you can still do the course and will get an incredible amount out of it.

Having said that do what you want but don't let your thoughts talk you out of it. Anyone can do one of these courses.

Apologies, people that have been diagnosed with severe mental health issues, like schizophrenia usually wont be accepted on the course.

This is not to say these people wouldn't benefit from a vipassana retreat. However, speculating here, i think the students (mediators learning the practice) are being protected from potential disruptions.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Where did you do it?

I don't know of intro courses to insight meditation or the technique they teach you at Vipassana. I was sceptical that you need 10 days to learn it properly but you do.

It takes me about 4 to7 days for my mind to s.l.o.w. down. Before this it is like someone is playing with a radio dial; flicking it across stations and leaving it no longer than a few seconds. After a while your mind becomes quieter, not silent (not for me anyway but i am a novice) and every so often you hear the deep inner voice and how horrible you can speak to yourself. Like I remember doing my second one my mind would not stfu; it was funny actually because i was trying to meditate and my monkey mind was like "what are you trying to do"? "meditate" "no, not you, you'll never be able to do that" - "you're just not cut out for this".... lol, i remember saying to myself, if you were a friend i would cut you out of my life for good. :D

I'm giving you an example of how persistent your mind (or my mind) is at distracting. Even when my monkey mind jumps on board with meditating sometimes it does it just so it can get its hooks in and throw me off.

Also, i've heard my mind say the most disgusting things to myself that I would not be aware of if it were not for the silent meditation. I can only assume these messages are going on deep down alot of the time in real life.

One thing I have learnt that mean people are the most horrible to themselves.

The other thing you learn at the end of Vipassana meditation, which is very powerful, is Metta bhavana (loving kindness), and you can probably do this technique now - just google it.

Since getting back from Vipassana I've been busy decluttering my home and other various things. My focus has been on yoga - there are good yoga meditations you can do if you find the right school.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
As I mentioned here a month ago I'm doing a 10 day Vipassana early next year, I've been a bit apprehensive about the length of it so I booked myself into an 8 week beginners guide to meditation course with Ananda Marga. It's an hour and a half one night a week. I'm 2 weeks in and it's been very enjoyable, the lady running the course has been teaching meditation all over the world since the 1980s. Very peaceful wise woman, she has a great vibe about her.

The thing that surprised me is that the first 2 classes have been 95% about yoga postures and the way she explains it I can definitely see the connection with meditation. A complete coincidence but only a few weeks before I started this course I started going to Yoga classes regularly.

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
As I mentioned here a month ago I'm doing a 10 day Vipassana early next year, I've been a bit apprehensive about the length of it so I booked myself into an 8 week beginners guide to meditation course with Ananda Marga. It's an hour and a half one night a week. I'm 2 weeks in and it's been very enjoyable, the lady running the course has been teaching meditation all over the world since the 1980s. Very peaceful wise woman, she has a great vibe about her.

The thing that surprised me is that the first 2 classes have been 95% about yoga postures and the way she explains it I can definitely see the connection with meditation. A complete coincidence but only a few weeks before I started this course I started going to Yoga classes regularly.
I love yoga. Well I love attempting it, I'm as flexible as a steel pole. The focus on breathing makes it my favourite form of exercise.

A 10 day trip is a pretty big commitment, that's pretty impressive. I had a bad run of getting out of my practice for a few weeks, but have been good the past week, haven't missed a session.

I doubt I'll ever be able to have the concentration or willpower to survive at one of those camps however the 15 minutes an evening is great for me.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I love yoga. Well I love attempting it, I'm as flexible as a steel pole. The focus on breathing makes it my favourite form of exercise.

A 10 day trip is a pretty big commitment, that's pretty impressive. I had a bad run of getting out of my practice for a few weeks, but have been good the past week, haven't missed a session.

I doubt I'll ever be able to have the concentration or willpower to survive at one of those camps however the 15 minutes an evening is great for me.
Yep, I love the Yoga as well. I've always been very exercise conscious and do a lot of running and play Futsal as well, I've cut the running back from 5 to 2 times a week though to fit the Yoga in.

I do the Bikram Yoga which is for 90 minutes in a heated room to promote sweating, it bloody works because I've never sweated as much in all my life, extremely challenging postures.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Yoga will help you immensely when you do vipassana. Sitting down in the same position 10 hours a day can be uncomfortable (understatement). Good posture will be very helpful. Stick with the yoga. Do as many classes as you can.

Also dont stress about the course, you will be fine. You will love it.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
Have started meditating about three weeks ago and I love it. Good incentive to get out of bed in the morning and take 15-20 minutes to yourself to get your thoughts in order before you start the day.

Been thinking of getting into it for a while, how does one 'start'?
Is there lessons available anywhere or a book for dummies? Lol

Edit: found this link, is this a good place to start? https://alifeofproductivity.com/meditation-guide/

Edit 2: I see that's a productivity meditation guide... which is useful I suppose, but I'm probably more needing a mental thoughts one, help relieve stress, anxiety and irritability

Last edited:

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

Download the 'Insight Timer' app it's easy to use and has a stack of guided (people talking) and non guided (non speaking) meditations. Then just sit on a pillow, put the headphones and and go for it.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Edit: found this link, is this a good place to start? https://alifeofproductivity.com/meditation-guide/

Edit 2: I see that's a productivity meditation guide... which is useful I suppose, but I'm probably more needing a mental thoughts one, help relieve stress, anxiety and irritability
I'm 3 weeks into an 8 week course (1 night a week for 90 minutes) with Ananda Marga, it's run locally at a private residence with only 6 other people and 2 teachers.

I have been struggling with trying to meditate for years but I am starting to feel some results coming especially when combining regular yoga sessions with the classes.

I find the group structured setting helps with concentration and motivation rather than the solo at home thing I've been trying without success all this time.

https://www.anandamarga.org.au/events-classes/meditation-yoga-classes/

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Love it.

Got a free 3 month subscription for the "Calm" app and am half way through the Beginners 30 days 'how to meditate' course.

First few days I would try in the afternoon to get through the 3pm slump - really struggled, was a chore and something I didn't look forward to nor get much benefit out of, was restless and would just worry my work is piling up.

Have switched to first thing in the morning outside in the cold and I'm currently bouncing out of bed looking forward to it.

I feel incredible afterwards, immediately liberate myself from distractions which sets the tone for the day and am generally happier and more energetic. It's helped me get in touch with my emotions a lot more too, which my Girlfriend is loving :tearsofjoy:. It's only 10 minutes every morning as well, so only scratched the surface.

Once my free trial is up I will 100% pay for the app - think it's $90 a year. So many courses/options on there, sleep channels too.

Wouldn't mind looking at a retreat later in the year.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Love it.

Got a free 3 month subscription for the "Calm" app and am half way through the Beginners 30 days 'how to meditate' course.

First few days I would try in the afternoon to get through the 3pm slump - really struggled, was a chore and something I didn't look forward to nor get much benefit out of, was restless and would just worry my work is piling up.

Have switched to first thing in the morning outside in the cold and I'm currently bouncing out of bed looking forward to it.

I feel incredible afterwards, immediately liberate myself from distractions which sets the tone for the day and am generally happier and more energetic. It's helped me get in touch with my emotions a lot more too, which my Girlfriend is loving :tearsofjoy:. It's only 10 minutes every morning as well, so only scratched the surface.

Once my free trial is up I will 100% pay for the app - think it's $90 a year. So many courses/options on there, sleep channels too.

Wouldn't mind looking at a retreat later in the year.

Great to hear you're really benefitting from it.

My practice has been pretty patchy lately, but I'm usually getting at least 20 minutes in the morning.

I used Headspace for about 6 months, maybe a bit longer (IIRC I got a one-year subscription) and found it helpful, but I prefer silent meditation and find it to be far more beneficial overall. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but it's a bit disruptive having a voice come in every five minutes or so directing you attention to some part of the body or focus on a specific feeling or thought or whatever - to me that immediately breaks up any accumulated mindfulness. It's helpful to have a few different techniques presented to you, so you can trial what works for you.

I definitely find morning the best time to practice - get a good 8 hours sleep, meditate for 20-30 minutes and then have a hot drink an hour or so afterwards. Sets up your day so well.

Also pretty important to keep practicing over the weekend. Naturally I think people use it as a silver bullet through the week to manage stress/anxiety and create a sense of balance, but it's nice to take advantage of a bit of extra stillness away from your desk. I sat for an hour on Saturday and had such a peaceful weekend.

I recommend going on a retreat if you get the chance, whether it's Vipassanna or something else. I know they have a lot of 3-day retreats that are more like seminars, which give you a really thorough grounding in meditation; it's really secular and you can go home at the end of each day. In hindsight that would have been a perfect way to start off. The bonus with Vipassana is it's donation-based, and you get unbelievably deep into the practice.

Last edited:
Back