Remove this Banner Ad

Play Fair

Senior List
Apr 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Favourtie Part of the Article:

But with no clear favourite with the public, GC17 bid team leader John Witheriff said the decision was made to go with a name that everyone agreed on.
"We chose that name because the Gold Coast wanted it," he said.
"We had overwhelming support, around 95 per cent, from the public for the name Gold Coast -- it was always the 'Gold Coast somethings'

No s**t, the Gold Coast people wanted the team to be called the Gold Coast? Surprising.

And No clear favourite with the public, I was under the impression that Marlins was very popular.

Could someone clear something up for me. So last night they launched the club's identity yet they didn't launch the club's official logo, is that correct? Hopefully they just go for the GC with red and yellow background to save further embarrassment.

It really sounds like a rush job to coincide with the finals when interest in footy is at a high.

"We don't have a name yet."

-"No name. OK. What else do we have to show people??"

"My brother did this drawing of a guy in Speedos."

-"Your brother... you mean the hairdresser?"

"Yeah that's the one."

-"Fine, run with it. And stick 'GC' on it somewhere. Apparently people around here like hearing the name of their home town in their team name. Crazy I know but it played well in the focus group."

Play Fair

Senior List
Apr 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Favourtie Part of the Article:

But with no clear favourite with the public, GC17 bid team leader John Witheriff said the decision was made to go with a name that everyone agreed on.
"We chose that name because the Gold Coast wanted it," he said.
"We had overwhelming support, around 95 per cent, from the public for the name Gold Coast -- it was always the 'Gold Coast somethings'

No s**t, the Gold Coast people wanted the team to be called the Gold Coast? Surprising.

And No clear favourite with the public, I was under the impression that Marlins was very popular.

Could someone clear something up for me. So last night they launched the club's identity yet they didn't launch the club's official logo, is that correct? Hopefully they just go for the GC with red and yellow background to save further embarrassment.

My bad, just found a pic of their logo, its terrible as well. In theory these colours are a good choice but together they look shocking.

Funkalicous

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 29, 2002
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Southport Sharks, Chicago Bulls
I'm psyched about the Gold Coast FC but this is a little embarrassing. The idea has merit, but they should've at least swapped the toddler undies for some bordies.

T-D-J

Senior List
Oct 11, 2004
Near a Mountain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Anaheim Angels
I'm psyched about the Gold Coast FC but this is a little embarrassing. The idea has merit, but they should've at least swapped the toddler undies for some bordies.

Or he could be doing something heroic (as surf life-savers tend to do), rather then being all haughty, mincing on the sand, not wanting to talk to the footy.

Subprime

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2007
Ether
AFL Club
Collingwood
The logo indicates the club's preferred option might be the Ironmen or the Guards. But maybe the Stingrays/Rays/Marlins had more votes on the websites so now their trying to sway public support.

Anyone know the percentages each of the names got officially?

Rik E Boy

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2004
The Switch
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I reckon they should be called the Gold Coast Tampons because they have been inserted into the competition but that might cause a few anxious questions to be fielded by nervous Dads in the outer from innocent youngsters.

So without further ado, I present to you the GOLD COAST DONUTS.

img-thing

regards,

REB

strategy

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jan 26, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Is he related to Batman , Spiderman , they all wear their undies outside of their clothes and look GAY as well .:eek:

fishalenko

Rookie
Jun 25, 2008
Mildura
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Robinvale FC
what are we meant to scream out carn the gold coasters or lets go GC's
cmon lets have something more realistic like carn the Stingrays or something

any news on what the club song maybe??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Margim

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
So no one here really has any objection to the mascot other than the fact it makes them feel uncomfortable about their sexuality? Feel sorry for you guys.

I'm most definitely not a fan of the mascot, mainly because I think it shows they've learnt nothing from the whole Freo/Power/Carlton thing. People mascots are boring... the kids want animals!!

coast2coast

Team Captain
Jun 10, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Re: Meet Gazza - The Surf Bum

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2008/09/05/15901_gold-coast-top-story.html

I couldn't be any more embarrased!! If this isn't a slap in the face by GC17 then i don't know what is. :mad:
Gazza the Gay Surf Bum, wow what a mascot!!
This will certainly put fear into other teams not to mention the kiddies!!

The Gazza Bio:
The club's mascot, which was also revealed last night, will be known as 'GC' -- known fully as Gary Clifford Irons -- a mild-mannered lifesaver during the week but a superhero footy fanatic on the weekends.

only slightly less embarrassing than the freo surfer dude. they could be bum buddies.

Oct 3, 2002
Uncooked
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Coventry City
It really sounds like a rush job to coincide with the finals when interest in footy is at a high.

"Yeah that's the one."

-"Fine, run with it. And stick 'GC' on it somewhere. Apparently people around here like hearing the name of their home town in their team name. Crazy I know but it played well in the focus group."

:D

It's pathetic isn't it? I've lived here for four years- and the place has served it's purpose for us real estate wise- but it never fails to prove it's still one of the dumbest cities in Australia when it comes to the crunch.

The NRL crowd are going to love this. How the AFL could have played into their hands so early is beyond me.

I'm still trying to comprehend the whole 'Everyone wanted to call it The Gold Coast' angle. Now a NTTAWWT in undies.:eek:

Par4

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 3, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

"Yeah that's the one."

Run with it.

hollow_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
I posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here again for comparison:

mascotmanor3.jpg

Fits right in, I reckon. They're for the kiddies, so I really don't know what some of you were expecting.

But if you were a parent, would you want your kids hanging with this group?

Lets go through the lot shall we?

The Eagle is most likely dealing, got the shades on and what not and chest hair hanging out the guernsey.

The Crow looks like an evil henchman scheming in the bad ground, and never trust anything with red eyes.

The Lion looks like a bloody monkey. Plus I wouldn't trust a lion that's skinnier than every other mascot, may have aids.

The Cat looks like it's chewing on a dead pidgeon. We don't want our kids eating dead birds.

The Magpie seems to be lacking a neck and por all intensive purposes, a head. Looks like a beak popping out of a shoulder. Not a role model for younguns.

The Hawks looks so off its head that it makes Robert Downey Jr look like a road scholler.

The Blue looks like he is just about to rob some houses....bad habbits for the kiddies.

The Demon is holding a bloody trident. Nothing good comes from this. (see Brick in Anchorman)

The 'Power' looks like a superhero wanna be who dressed up as batman only to get his head squashed into something paper thin...can't be good, and i think it's just a lightning bolt.....

The tiger....oh how the cereal box mighty have fallen.

The saint looks like a madi gras regular who sports a mullet to try and convince his friends and family that he doesn't enjoy pole.

The Dog resembers more of a gray blob.

The Swan looks more like a Goose, we don't want to confuse the kids. And I don't trust Swans with hands.

Surfer Bum 'Docker boy' makes the Waynes world and adventures of ted guys look like they should run for PM

And the Bomber resembers a blood sucking mosquito.

To make things worse we now have a gay surf lifesaver who not only looks like he shouldn't be a role model for kids, but it looks as though he has a court order to stay away from kids after his career as a kindergarten teacher took a turn for the worse.

B-Bomber

Club Legend
May 29, 2007
Morwell
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Braves
To make things worse we now have a gay surf lifesaver who not only looks like he shouldn't be a role model for kids, but it looks as though he has a court order to stay away from kids after his career as a kindergarten teacher took a turn for the worse.

Hey Jeff, is that you?

jimmy_clement#8

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2003
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Colorado, Cardiff City
It's not too bad. Last night I laughed at it. But considering that its to be grouped with those other "J-Squad" esque mascots, it fits in rather well.

And as for the Ken doll thing going on downstairs, what do you want in your kiddies mascot, a pair of budgie smugglers on a cartoon character smuggling a pelican? Sheesh. That'll talk to kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back