Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

I emailed a week ago to see how it was all going. I got nothing, Matthew could be on holidays.

it has been very quiet, most likely a lot of absorption

giphy.gif

Each drip is a member opinion regarding the coach, team leaders, administration or club branding. The water left in the cloth is every Facebook-tier comment about making teal our primary colour, go Port Power™ and it being a really tough competition.

Workingclass

Senior List
Aug 8, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, it was sort of a question. :oops:

I honestly don't know but given all the 2020 merch I've seen only has one sponsor on it I would assume we have a single major sponsor for 2020.
Not the first time this has happened. It was the same post Energy Australia as well. The club needs to sign off on merch in October. The fact is only 1 major sponsor is indicative of either:
1. Us not having anyone new in play or
2. Us not having anyone new in play AND Gupta coughing up more cash or
3. Someone in play but not at contract.

Option 3 would be nice; I suspect it's less likely in play.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Not the first time this has happened. It was the same post Energy Australia as well. The club needs to sign off on merch in October. The fact is only 1 major sponsor is indicative of either:
1. Us not having anyone new in play or
2. Us not having anyone new in play AND Gupta coughing up more cash or
3. Someone in play but not at contract.

Option 3 would be nice; I suspect it's less likely in play.
It could well be that we have reverted to having a single major sponsor as per option 2. I know a lot of people believe it is mandatory to have joint major sponsors but there are a number of AFL clubs with a single major sponsor.

It could well be that we have reverted to having a single major sponsor as per option 2. I know a lot of people believe it is mandatory to have joint major sponsors but there are a number of AFL clubs with a single major sponsor.
I think people understand that we can have a sole sponsor. What they question is, whether we get one that pay the $$$ that a sole sponsor would, or about what 2 JMS would.

If we end up with a sole sponsor, it won't be because we convinced GFG to part with more cash, it'll be because we couldn't get anyone else on board ala 2018.

It's nothing to worry about yet. I don't know where this October deadline comes from. We've been regularly announcing new sponsors on the eve of the season for about a decade now.

FishingRick04, Rooch today has written the following article on ex AGE footy journo Rohan Connolly's footy website, Footyology.

I was intrigued by the comment quoted below. Did David Bonnin who acted as moderator / report writer of the meeting you arranged with club, write his report after listening to all our complaints and concerns, in such a way that was made clear that we were sick of Hinkley's and Koch's small minded thinking?? Did he divulge any of the report to you?

HINKLEY 3.0 (2019-today, 20-13; best ranking, top position since Round 1 this year).
Club before coach. Hinkley last year accepted the club’s strategy to revive its squad with list manager Jason Cripps aiming to build the league’s best under-22 squad.

Hinkley also at the start of this season embraced the club’s demand to stop talking about “making finals” and to lift the bar to “winning premierships”. In the pre-season, Hinkley declared: “I love this club and I love the history of this club – and this club’s history is premierships. So that is what we start out (this season) trying to do – winning the premiership in our 150th year. We re going to do everything we can to so that. So look out, we’re coming.”

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
HINKLEY 3.0 (2019-today, 20-13; best ranking, top position since Round 1 this year).
Club before coach. Hinkley last year accepted the club’s strategy to revive its squad with list manager Jason Cripps aiming to build the league’s best under-22 squad.
Janus, that's after 2018; not, 2017.

FishingRick04, Rooch today has written the following article on ex AGE footy journo Rohan Connolly's footy website, Footyology.

I was intrigued by the comment quoted below. Did David Bonnin who acted as moderator / report writer of the meeting you arranged with club, write his report after listening to all our complaints and concerns, in such a way that was made clear that we were sick of Hinkley's and Koch's small minded thinking?? Did he divulge any of the report to you?

Hinkley also at the start of this season embraced the club’s demand to stop talking about “making finals” and to lift the bar to “winning premierships”. In the pre-season, Hinkley declared: “I love this club and I love the history of this club – and this club’s history is premierships. So that is what we start out (this season) trying to do – winning the premiership in our 150th year. We re going to do everything we can to so that. So look out, we’re coming.”

Dave would be too professional to do that, I wouldn't put him in a position to ask to be honest.

Dave would be too professional to do that, I wouldn't put him in a position to ask to be honest.
I asked 2 question, and you didn't address the first one. Did he actually write up a report for the club from all those notes he took?

I get not divulging or not asking about what was in it, but was anything actually produced from the meeting.

Last edited:
Janus, that's after 2018; not, 2017.

The club had set out to target the 2018 draft from as far back as 2015. Straight from Cripps’ mouth at the Inside Port Adelaide day. It’s why we made sure that all the trades for Impey, Ah Chee and Austin ended up improving our 2018 draft hand (St Kilda’s second and North Melbourne’s third). That wasn’t luck, it was planned.

List management happens three years into the future - Cripps would be looking at what the list looks like in 2023 right now. Davies handles the contracts of the players to align with what Cripps wants the list to look like - he’s operating in a 2021-2023 window. And Hinkley handles whether or not the players on the list are going to match the vision that Cripps (and the club) has - he’s operating in a 2020-2021 window.

In any organisation, you’ve got the entrepreneur, the manager and the technician. The entrepreneur is the dreamer, the manager distils the entrepreneur’s dreams from possibilities into probabilities, and the technician actually does the work turning the probabilities into reality.

In list management, Cripps is the entrepreneur, Davies is the manager, and Hinkley is the technician.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The club had set out to target the 2018 draft from as far back as 2015. Straight from Cripps’ mouth at the Inside Port Adelaide day. It’s why we made sure that all the trades for Impey, Ah Chee and Austin ended up improving our 2018 draft hand (St Kilda’s second and North Melbourne’s third). That wasn’t luck, it was planned.

List management happens three years into the future - Cripps would be looking at what the list looks like in 2023 right now. Davies handles the contracts of the players to align with what Cripps wants the list to look like - he’s operating in a 2021-2023 window. And Hinkley handles whether or not the players on the list are going to match the vision that Cripps (and the club) has - he’s operating in a 2020-2021 window.

In any organisation, you’ve got the entrepreneur, the manager and the technician. The entrepreneur is the dreamer, the manager distils the entrepreneur’s dreams from possibilities into probabilities, and the technician actually does the work turning the probabilities into reality.

In list management, Cripps is the entrepreneur, Davies is the manager, and Hinkley is the technician.
Ok. But the article above says that Hinkley accepted it by the end of 2018. And three years in advance would be prior to 2017, although you’ve said that it was the year we decided to “supercharge our rebuild.”

2018 makes sense to me; 2017 doesn’t.

I asked 2 question, and you didn't address the first one. Did he actually write up a report for the club from all those notes he took?

I get not divulging or not asking about what was in it, but was anything actually produced from the meeting.

it’s not really my place to say. I don’t know much as I’m not in the know, but I’ve had some coffees with Dave as he’s a switched on guy. Ergo I can’t discuss anything of those conversations as it’s breaching confidence.

saying that I’d assume the intellect he is that he would of provided feedback of sorts about us the consumer

Ok. But the article above says that Hinkley accepted it by the end of 2018. And three years in advance would be prior to 2017, although you’ve said that it was the year we decided to “supercharge our rebuild.”

2018 makes sense to me; 2017 doesn’t.

It was the very end of 2017. Specifically, after the 2017 Showdown against Adelaide (in R20 I believe). If you could go back to the press conference after that game, Ken was talking about big changes that would be made after that performance.

"We were dominated from the start to the end," Hinkley said.

"It was unacceptable. We got smashed everywhere.

"We can acknowledge that the opposition are a very good side but that was unacceptable."

"It's being worrying our form line, particularly around the contest," Hinkley said.

"Our ability to handle heat hasn't stood up as well as we would like it to stand up. We've got enough size in there to do that. I think we haven't got a hardness about us that you require to play high level football.

"(Our contest work) has been a real strength for 15 or 16 weeks. The last few weeks have been a bit of a worry for us."

"We have to be prepared to look at some of the positions that are in there and say 'if you're not getting it done, we'll make some change'," Hinkley said.

"Your depth is exposed at this time of the year. You know who your players are who are capable of possibly helping you out.

"But it's a few in, a few out, type stuff. It's not wholesale."

He then made 5 changes the following week, bringing in Houston, Ah Chee, Howard, Neade and Wingard in for Hombsch, Monfries, Powell-Pepper, Young and Trengove. Of those 10 players, only two are still with the club. And that was only three years ago.

The week after, he brought in Marshall, Bonner and Powell-Pepper for Ah Chee, Pittard and Impey.

We were playing Houston, Powell-Pepper, Bonner, Marshall, Howard, Byrne-Jones and Impey in the Elimination Final that year. That's 7 players who were under 23 at the time in the 22.

Guess how many players we had under 23 against Richmond? 7 - Powell-Pepper, Ladhams, Farrell, Duursma, Butters, Woodcock and Georgiades.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
It was the very end of 2017. Specifically, after the 2017 Showdown against Adelaide (in R20 I believe). If you could go back to the press conference after that game, Ken was talking about big changes that would be made after that performance.

"We were dominated from the start to the end," Hinkley said.

"It was unacceptable. We got smashed everywhere.

"We can acknowledge that the opposition are a very good side but that was unacceptable."

"It's being worrying our form line, particularly around the contest," Hinkley said.

"Our ability to handle heat hasn't stood up as well as we would like it to stand up. We've got enough size in there to do that. I think we haven't got a hardness about us that you require to play high level football.

"(Our contest work) has been a real strength for 15 or 16 weeks. The last few weeks have been a bit of a worry for us."

"We have to be prepared to look at some of the positions that are in there and say 'if you're not getting it done, we'll make some change'," Hinkley said.

"Your depth is exposed at this time of the year. You know who your players are who are capable of possibly helping you out.

"But it's a few in, a few out, type stuff. It's not wholesale."

He then made 5 changes the following week, bringing in Houston, Ah Chee, Howard, Neade and Wingard in for Hombsch, Monfries, Powell-Pepper, Young and Trengove. Of those 10 players, only two are still with the club. And that was only three years ago.

The week after, he brought in Marshall, Bonner and Powell-Pepper for Ah Chee, Pittard and Impey.

We were playing Houston, Powell-Pepper, Bonner, Marshall, Howard, Byrne-Jones and Impey in the Elimination Final that year. That's 7 players who were under 23 at the time in the 22.

Guess how many players we had under 23 against Richmond? 7 - Powell-Pepper, Ladhams, Farrell, Duursma, Butters, Woodcock and Georgiades.
Ok. But that’s half of the story. With all our issues in 2017, we had finished 5th on the ladder and lost the EF in OT.

For 2018, along with a new gameplan, we brought experience and leadership to the list.

How could we be rebuilding, let alone “supercharging” it? We were swinging to the fences. It backfired, but we were aiming at the flag.

Why on hell would we scrap everything after a strong season?

Ok. But that’s half of the story. With all our issues in 2017, we had finished 5th on the ladder and lost the EF in OT.

For 2018, along with a new gameplan, we brought experience and leadership to the list.

How could we be rebuilding, let alone “supercharging” it? We were swinging to the fences. It backfired, but we were aiming at the flag.

Why on hell would we scrap everything after a strong season?

It's possible to do both. We wanted to see if Polec and Wingard, who had shown talent but a reluctance to do the things required to be successful, would pull their finger out. If they did, we probably would have just drafted Rozee and added him to the forward line and allowed Wingard to play mid full time, leaving Polec on the opposite wing from Amon. But after Wingard resisted our attempts to sign him to a longer term deal during 2017, it was clear to the club that he was probably going to test out his worth on the FA market in 2019.

Watch for the same thing to happen with Wines. We'll ask him the question in terms of giving him an extension this year. If he balks at it, the club will know that he's probably planning on testing the market in FA and they will be better off trading him in 2021.

Yep. 12 years and counting. Forget top 4, we are aiming for top 2.
Indeed we were, despite your sarcasm in October last year.

Back