Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

Remove this Banner Ad

So the club has sent Ken & I’m guessing 2 other assistant coaches over to the US to further their development. We couldn’t afford to sack him, but look proactive in trying to improve his performance & lift his credentials. The course coordinator must have his hands full.

Did he go willingly this time !!
If my memory serves me correctly, it was notified he "reluctantly " attended an overseas development course last year. Needs further development due to the reluctant part maybe.

Is Ken going to Harvard? Please be true. I'll spend the rest of my life LOLing at that.

I believe its a Deportment finishing school. Grooming, etiquette, that sort of thing.
His coaching is still going to be s**t mind you but he will speak very well so that's a bonus.

The idea is right, but the execution is wrong. The one time that we really needed a bit of 'nobody is bigger than the team' was during coaching negotiations in 2017.

EDIT: Oh, and the other time was when we pissed all over 149 years of tradition to make sure we didn't hurt Captain Wakeboard's feelings.

You'd think the club would have learnt after the Choco debacle of '09. And Captain Wakeboard's feelings were still hurt in the end. Weakness breeds failure.

He will just probably drink Coke Zero from a tea cup now

Etiquette kicking in right there. Pinky up boys.
The coaches box is going to be so classy next year.

If the intent is to develop the under 23's did they give any reason for keeping bog average older players in Sutcliffe and McKenzie around? Further to development of the younger players any indication these older players (and Sam Gray if given another contract) won't be first choice players going forward, but only for depth? I.e. anything concrete promised rather than vague 'It's the vibe of the youth'?
No and No.

I believe its a Deportment finishing school. Grooming, etiquette, that sort of thing.
His coaching is still going to be s**t mind you but he will speak very well so that's a bonus.

If it is a Deportment finishing school teaching grooming and etiquette, kern will be in the US for years.
Maybe the club has worked out a way to get rid of him after all. :think:

You'd think the club would have learnt after the Choco debacle of '09. And Captain Wakeboard's feelings were still hurt in the end. Weakness breeds failure.
Corporate amnesia.

I was thinking about this, this morning, that Hinkley straight after a finals loss contract extension was almost the same as Choco tell him by 30 June 2009 what his future is.

We fans remember it but those in charge weren't at the club and aren't as passionate as us to remember.

Koch, KT and Davies equivalent in 2009 were Duncanson, Haysman and Rohde. But in fairness to the last 3 they didn't make the decision about Choco but the full board did - Duncanson, Wakelin, Toop, Hood, David Basheer, Panas, Abernethy, and O'Connor. Haysman apparently recommend not to extent Choco's contract, KT backed Ken 100%. Whilst a few of the 2009 board members have minor involvement with the club, they wouldn't have been counseled to explain what happened in 2009. So corporate amnesia was in full effect.

Its why having a Secretary/General Manager like Bob Bob for 30 years prevents corporate amnesia.

I suspect Osborn, Haslam and Fiachi might have had a different opinion to Koch and KT. No idea if they were consulted about the extension before the offer was made. No idea what other 2017 board members Restas, Vanstone, Ransom and Thiele thought. I have no doubt Cardone would have been 100% in line with Koch. (we had a vacant board position in September 2017 - all the way up to late 2018 when Cahill was appointed)

And, as a rider on this, was anyone surprised to have a psychologist talking notes?
Not really. The club wants to know what we are thinking and how to communicate better with us. It might not be able to cover all bases, but it can do a better job.

He acted as a facilitator and did a good job. The fact someone is going to write up a report about what we said, is a good thing. Hopefully those in charge get to read it and deliver on its recommendations for change.

He did a good job asking us to explain words and phrases we used to focus what we were getting at, rather than going off on a rant, which could have easily have happened at times.

(Nobody seems to have mentioned the bars... NDA?)

Just didn't have the time. We ended up talking about bigger issues. Yes the bars are big but not as big as performance of the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KT said Hipwood kicked 6 on Dougal. He also said Dougal didn't play against North.
KT wrote back to me this morning and said he said Hipwood but it might not have been that loud for me to hear. He knows that Jonas played on Brown.

So there must have been a misunderstanding, as the point I was making was that part of the angst about Dougal was that Brown kicked 10 and we didn't have Dougal to help stop him, we all were livid about the North game which was at the end of the season and fresh in our mind. It was at the end of a long two hour meeting, so no wonder a bit of miscommunication happened.

Corporate amnesia.

I was thinking about this, this morning, that Hinkley straight after a finals loss contract extension was almost the same as Choco tell him by 30 June 2009 what his future is.

We fans remember it but those in charge weren't at the club and aren't as passionate as us to remember.

Koch, KT and Davies equivalent in 2009 were Duncanson, Haysman and Rohde. But in fairness to the last 3 they didn't make the decision about Choco but the full board did - Duncanson, Wakelin, Toop, Hood, David Basheer, Panas, Abernethy, and O'Connor. Haysman apparently recommend not to extent Choco's contract, KT backed Ken 100%. Whilst a few of the 2009 board members have minor involvement with the club, they wouldn't have been counseled to explain what happened in 2009. So corporate amnesia was in full effect.

Its why having a Secretary/General Manager like Bob Bob for 30 years prevents corporate amnesia.

I suspect Osborn, Haslam and Fiachi might have had a different opinion to Koch and KT. No idea if they were consulted about the extension before the offer was made. No idea what other 2017 board members Restas, Vanstone, Ransom and Thiele thought. I have no doubt Cardone would have been 100% in line with Koch. (we had a vacant board position in September 2017 - all the way up to late 2018 when Cahill was appointed)

At the time, KT had said they had been in negotiations to extend Ken's contract for months beforehand. It wasn't a snap decision.

Right or wrong, the club is going to see it through to the end - the end being a list that most assuredly can challenge for a flag, rather than just a best 22 that if everything goes right can challenge for one.

KT wrote back to me this morning and said he said Hipwood but it might not have been that loud for me to hear. He knows that Jonas played on Brown.

So there must have been a misunderstanding, as the point I was making was that part of the angst about Dougal was that Brown kicked 10 and we didn't have Dougal to help stop him, we all were livid about the North game which was at the end of the season and fresh in our mind. It was at the end of a long two hour meeting, so no wonder a bit of miscommunication happened.

And the point Keith was making was that Howard played on Hipwood and had 6 kicked on him, so his inclusion wasn't going to be an automatic reduction in the number of goals kicked because he's not that great a one on one defender.

So the club has sent Ken & I’m guessing 2 other assistant coaches over to the US to further their development. ...
I can understand Hinkley's reluctance to go to the USA. There's only a handful of states that still have greyhound racing.

And the point Keith was making was that Howard played on Hipwood and had 6 kicked on him, so his inclusion wasn't going to be an automatic reduction in the number of goals kicked because he's not that great a one on one defender.

Can we stop blaming the defenders completely and start talking about how s**t our midfield was and defensive pressure up the ground.

The fact is Ken is signed. Whether we like it or not Ken is here for now. So we have two options have a tanti, throw the toys and give up.

Or the club can use what they have to give him the resources he needs to be competitive. We may as well be hopefully rather than despair

Last edited:
One off field matter that I want to elaborate on, that came up near the end of the 2 hours was the GDV.

I asked why can't Tennis SA get a 365 day liquor licence and we get them to rent us the space. KT said the SMA have opposed it. I said what about for the 4 months tennis is on November to February, can Tennis SA get 7 days a week liquor licence for that period. Both Richo and KT said no. Once again the SMA have opposed it as they want total control of the precinct, so Tennis SA are restricted to a temporary licence for when they have tennis events on. SACA obviously don't want Tennis SA or anyone else to do a GDV when cricket is on.

I already knew it, but the SMA are a bigger pack of arseholes than I thought.

KT did say that the club will make a final submission to the parliamentary select committee looking into the AO hotel.

Don't know what he will say and more importantly what the select committee will do given construction has started.
So, to put it bluntly, like we were at Footy Park, we're financially screwed and always will be? We will never do anything more than survive, just, barely, maybe.

One off field matter that I want to elaborate on, that came up near the end of the 2 hours was the GDV.

I asked why can't Tennis SA get a 365 day liquor licence and we get them to rent us the space. KT said the SMA have opposed it. I said what about for the 4 months tennis is on November to February, can Tennis SA get 7 days a week liquor licence for that period. Both Richo and KT said no. Once again the SMA have opposed it as they want total control of the precinct, so Tennis SA are restricted to a temporary licence for when they have tennis events on. SACA obviously don't want Tennis SA or anyone else to do a GDV when cricket is on.

I already knew it, but the SMA are a bigger pack of arseholes than I thought.

KT did say that the club will make a final submission to the parliamentary select committee looking into the AO hotel.

Don't know what he will say and more importantly what the select committee will do given construction has started.
That's been a massive loss of our game day experience losing the GDV. The SMA have blocked that at every turn, and every idea we've had with it and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Absolutely stinks to be honest.

There isn't a alternative option for us about bringing it back so it's dead and buried now barring some miracle.

So, to put it bluntly, like we were at Footy Park, we're financially screwed and always will be? We will never do anything more than survive, just, barely, maybe.
We are pushing s**t uphill unfortunately. There are alternatives but they aren't as good.

The only way to break that impasse would be if a new tennis centre was built - say a 15,000 seat multi purpose main stadium in a PPP with government, private investor and Tennis Australia, and the private investor said we will not put a cent in, until a 365 day liquor licence is issue.

Its why we need China to work and maybe some spin offs from our China network.

What does "the culture collapsed" actually mean?
If I was to interpret that statement, "the culture collapsed", really means the culture is no good. The culture allows behaviours that result in poor performance.

Can we stop blaming the defenders completely and start talking about how s**t our midfield was and defensive pressure up the ground.

The fact is Ken is signed. Whether we like it or not Ken is here for now. So we have two options have a tanti, throw the toys and give up.

Or the club can use what they have to give him the resources he needs to be competitive. We may as well be hopefully rather than despair
Yes !
I am with you on this one.
The deed is done for now so refusing to get a membership for 2020 because we didn’t get our way is just like throwing toys out of the cot, a tantrum.
We need to move on and find something to enjoy next year and support the club even though it feels hard.
It sounds like the club has listened. Thanks Rick.
I want our club to be fully funded.
The excruciating tenure of Ken will end soon enough now unless he pulls out a miraculous result. The club aren’t that stupid, the groundswell is too big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back