Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

We are pushing s**t uphill unfortunately. There are alternatives but they aren't as good.

The only way to break that impasse would be if a new tennis centre was built - say a 15,000 seat multi purpose main stadium in a PPP with government, private investor and Tennis Australia, and the private investor said we will not put a cent in, until a 365 day liquor licence is issue.

Its why we need China to work and maybe some spin offs from our China network.
Who owns the land between the stadium and the river? Council I assume? I guess this has been explored/discussed and I missed it.

Who owns the land between the stadium and the river? Council I assume? I guess this has been explored/discussed and I missed it.
Pretty sure its the ACC. But its not practical from a cost point of view having to drive stuff there set it up unpack it etc. The SMA would object.

Personally I'd like us to try and do something with that barge that was set up for the Festival, that is parked in front of the Festival Theatre on the south side of the River, but then was left there and the ACC didn't know what to do with it but has approved it to stay I think until end of this year.

Float it to the north side of the river, near the bridge somewhere, park it there and have it set up for functions during the week. But the SMA would move heaven and hell to stop it being on that side of the Torrens and issued with a liquor licence.

I like the pontoon I would have thought it would be a popular weekend attraction, especially in summer, used for pre and post drinks re footy is a good idea.

I met the Alberton Front Bar lads last year when my 22 year old Son kicked Life_Of_Agony ass in an arm wrestle, at the riverbank precinct, that was good also.

As a club we need to be strategic and keep thinking one step ahead of these constituents trying to thwart us, I feel we are to reactionary currently.

We need to treat this like a war, because basically this is what it is a war for $$$$

It means the players don't trust the coach, the game plan or each other.

We saw exactly this in the 2018 R22 loss to Collingwood. End of the faith line, goodwill expired. If we hadn't prematurely extended Ken a year earlier, his contract would have been up, we would have missed finals and he would have been out the door. Instead we have at least 1 more year mediocrity to grind through before we can reset.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Shame we couldn’t have sub leased the old curious squire location, would have been perfect
Perfect for what?

It is further away from AO than the bar they set up on the south side of the river. The thing that set the GDV apart was that it was immediately adjacent to AO.

I like the pontoon I would have thought it would be a popular weekend attraction, especially in summer, used for pre and post drinks re footy is a good idea. ...
Fairly certain it is no longer there.

EternalOptimist

Debutant
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Can we stop blaming the defenders completely and start talking about how s**t our midfield was and defensive pressure up the ground.

The fact is Ken is signed. Whether we like it or not Ken is here for now. So we have two options have a tanti, throw the toys and give up.

Or the club can use what they have to give him the resources he needs to be competitive. We may as well be hopefully and despair
Agree Rick, the way our midfield disappeared that game, peak lockdown Talia or Rance couldn't stop that avalanche. Howard would have made little difference. That is not a knock on Howard.

Whilst I personally differ to the club in my opinion of the value/ability of Howard, I have accepted that the trade was a conscious one, balancing the clubs projection of his future with us, the desire of Howard himself, and the relative value offered to us in return. I suppose I have moved a little from not being confident that we had a plan at all, to now accepting we consciously have a 5 year plan that this is part of. The jury is still out however on whether I think it will turn out to be a good one.

I've been reflecting for a couple of days post the meeting with KT and Richo this week, and have renewed my two memberships. I choose to be more positive going into next season. It is better for my own wellbeing. My personal basis for this;
  • Our home games are a marvellous opportunity to spend quality time with my daughter.
  • We have a great under 23 base to look forward to the future with, and celebrate their development.
  • We have a club who seems to now be actively listening, and I have real hope now for a response that cuts out most of the "dumb stuff" off field, of the past couple of years. At minimum I expect to see better communication and messaging.
  • We have a core side that is still very good, with increasing depth and emerging talent. (ignoring talls at this stage...)
  • If, and this is the big if.... we can actually learn and adjust our playing performance from the on field "dumb stuff" of the past 2 years in particular, we can still be a very competitive team next year. I wont put limits on my expectations.
  • We have 150 years of a great club to acknowledge and respect. This is a blip.
  • If not I look forward to the response of a new coach who will deliver to our expectations in 2021
Like many on this board I have been spiralling into negativity of late, but the only one who can change that is me.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
The truth was a far worse reason for destroying a long standing, the club's entire history, tradition.

The truth is the tradition was destroyed at Hinkley's whim so he could save face and have the captain of his choice while still allowing the players to have the captain of their choice. With the coach and the players so far apart it is no wonder we ended up seeing a performance like the North Melbourne game when finals and the coach's future were on the line.
Players should have no say in who is the captain...

Can we stop blaming the defenders completely and start talking about how s**t our midfield was and defensive pressure up the ground.

The fact is Ken is signed. Whether we like it or not Ken is here for now. So we have two options have a tanti, throw the toys and give up.

Or the club can use what they have to give him the resources he needs to be competitive. We may as well be hopefully and despair

You mean how they made Goldstein look like peak Brodie Grundy even though he's as old as Ryder?

I'm resigned to the fact that every single year, Port Adelaide will have one loss where they get blown out of the water against an opponent they should beat easily. Losses where nothing you do goes right are meaningless to dissect.

It's the losses where if one or two players just did something different that was in their control, like against GWS at AO, Fremantle at Optus Brisbane at the Gabba and Richmond at AO, that you look at. The losses where we had the game in the palm of our hand and we blew it because we weren't composed enough.

The issue was NEVER the "couple of losses... after being 11-4", but the couple of WINS after being 9-4. The games against StK and Carlton have made clear that there was something wrong. I thought we were deliberately playing below our possibilities. We weren't...

And then we decided our best player in those two wins immediately before the collapse and the infamous loss to Peel Thirds (24 & 2) was the problem.

The truth was a far worse reason for destroying a long standing, the club's entire history, tradition.

The truth is the tradition was destroyed at Hinkley's whim so he could save face and have the captain of his choice while still allowing the players to have the captain of their choice. With the coach and the players so far apart it is no wonder we ended up seeing a performance like the North Melbourne game when finals and the coach's future were on the line.

The players choice was Jonas.

The players are s**t at choosing who should be leader. Wines at least has the potential to be a good leader with the right coaching and advice. Jonas will never be one in a million years. He's just a bully - a king who rules by fear. So when the North game rolled around, the midfield rebelled against his tyrannical rule and said 'We're not going to play for you. See how good you are in defence without our help.'

"Keep blaming everyone but yourself....you see, because that's what a leader's about. Sacrifice. The times he's gotta sacrifice because he's gotta lead by example. Not by fear. And not by self-pity."

The thing was, Hinkley knew Jonas was the wrong choice, which is why he insisted on co-captains. If it had just been Jonas by himself, that implosion you saw against North Melbourne would have happened a lot earlier than it did. Fear works great...until it doesn't.

When the vote comes around again this year, I'll be extremely surprised if Jonas gets anywhere near a leadership role.

9c1b0b84-bb75-4d38-9570-ce869b855d7e_text_hi.gif

2802b770-5f8f-4afa-be61-13c50beac0a9_text_hi.gif

You mean how they made Goldstein look like peak Brodie Grundy even though he's as old as Ryder?

I'm resigned to the fact that every single year, Port Adelaide will have one loss where they get blown out of the water against an opponent they should beat easily. Losses where nothing you do goes right are meaningless to dissect.

It's the losses where if one or two players just did something different that was in their control, like against GWS at AO, Fremantle at Optus Brisbane at the Gabba and Richmond at AO, that you look at. The losses where we had the game in the palm of our hand and we blew it because we weren't composed enough.
I agree with you and almost brought this up on Thursday night, but the conversation moved on.

The major frustration is that we do it at a critical times when we need a win, rather than early in the season when we are trying to sort things out and can recover from bad losses.

2016 was different as we got smashed by 10 and 14 goals by crows and GWS respectively by Rd 5, because we hadn't adjusted quickly enough for the new 90 interchanges cap. We didn't get thrashed again until rds 20 and 21 after we had so many injuries.

Look when we were a dominate side, we had one shocking loss a year, but it was always in the first third of the year.

2002 we lost 4 games pre finals. Brisbane smacked us by 9 goals at the Gabba in Rd 7. Other 3 loses pre finals were by 29, 27 and 10 pts

2003 we lost 4 games pre finals. West Coast smashed by 6 goals and 12 behinds at Subi in Rd 1. Other losses pre finals were by 27,10,1 pts

2004 we lost 5 games pre finals. North gave us a 15 goal shellacking at Docklands in Rd 8, mainly because we had lots of injuries for a few weeks. Other losses pre finals were by 53 (rd 4) 40 (Rd 18), 37 (rd 11) and 32 (rd 7) pts.

In 2017 with an 11-7 record we get absolutely smashed by 84 pts by the crows in the showdown. If it wasn't pouring rain and they kicked badly 18.22, it would have been 120+ pts. Essendon 70 pt loss was rd 12 but our 11th game.

In 2018 we were 12-8 and capitulated to Collingwood by 51 pts, but probably no surprise after the Ollie * up shot for goal in the showdown and Jenkins poster goal saw a 3 pt loss, followed by the WCE after the siren loss.

In 2019 its the win the last 2 games and we play finals, but we don't turn up against North and a 14 goal loss.

Last edited:
Perfect for what?

It is further away from AO than the bar they set up on the south side of the river. The thing that set the GDV apart was that it was immediately adjacent to AO.

Fairly certain it is no longer there.

Yes but if the GDV isn’t there we need alternatives

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It is convenient for KT to point out Hipwood's 6 goals on Howard in the aftermath of this trade. OK, so after half a season the coaches ruled him out from being a permanent defender but the guy has versatility and attributes that make him worthy of keeping. I think the club misjudged that other clubs valued Howard more, he then got a larger offer, they would've then had a discontent player on their books for at least a season and so they settled for the next best thing, that being the early-ish pick. It kind of explains why we easily moved pick 10 to 12 as well. Did KT allude to the club bungling this one and luckily coming out with pick 18 to soothe the wound?

It is convenient for KT to point out Hipwood's 6 goals on Howard in the aftermath of this trade. OK, so after half a season the coaches ruled him out from being a permanent defender but the guy has versatility and attributes that make him worthy of keeping. I think the club misjudged that other clubs valued Howard more, he then got a larger offer, they would've then had a discontent player on their books for at least a season and so they settled for the next best thing, that being the early-ish pick. It kind of explains why we easily moved pick 10 to 12 as well. Did KT allude to the club bungling this one and luckily coming out with pick 18 to soothe the wound?
KT hated losing Doogs.

I remember when he thought Wingard wouldn't go anywhere obviously none of this stuff is his area but I dare say he struggles spinning it to himself.
If the football department isnt ’the area’ of a CEO only notable for his football background what exactly does he bring to the table. its not like anywhere is shining

chickentendies

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Mar 26, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the club has sent Ken & I’m guessing 2 other assistant coaches over to the US to further their development. We couldn’t afford to sack him, but look proactive in trying to improve his performance & lift his credentials. The course coordinator must have his hands full.

The best coaches in the business go do development courses in the US and Ken was stubborn until last off season. I'm not saying its a fix to our problems but if we're keeping him I'm glad at the very least he's doing development in his off season.

jack_black16

Club Legend
May 11, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes !
I am with you on this one.
The deed is done for now so refusing to get a membership for 2020 because we didn’t get our way is just like throwing toys out of the cot, a tantrum.
We need to move on and find something to enjoy next year and support the club even though it feels hard.
It sounds like the club has listened. Thanks Rick.
I want our club to be fully funded.
The excruciating tenure of Ken will end soon enough now unless he pulls out a miraculous result. The club aren’t that stupid, the groundswell is too big.

So you will be attending every game then?

Back