Meet Up Meet Matthew Richardson at the club

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I’m happy the club is apparently listening. But - is it just lip service?

Given what we’ve endured for years now, talk is cheap.

Actions speak louder than words. And I’m yet to see action on any front.

The reality is, we stay mediocre and we continue our membership and attendance decline for as long as the coach remains cosy. Sure we can polish a turd, but it’s still a turd.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The reality is, we stay mediocre and we continue our membership and attendance decline for as long as the coach remains cosy. Sure we can polish a turd, but it’s still a turd.

Also, I’d like the club to come out and publicly acknowledge we missed our chance (2013-2018)

I want them to front up instead of acting as though we should realise ourselves what’s going on.

I want Port Adelaide to be bold and brave - not hedging their bets each way in favour of stability and in fear of recognising failure.

I can’t trust a word the club says until they build back credibility!

Note: I don’t want to take anything away from the event. I do appreciate the efforts of all involved, I’m just needing a lot more to be convinced of change

Also, I’d like the club to come out and publicly acknowledge we missed our chance (2013-2018)

I want them to front up instead of acting as though we should realise ourselves what’s going on.

I want Port Adelaide to be bold and brave - not hedging their bets each way in favour of stability and in fear of recognising failure.

Note: I don’t want to take anything away from the event. I do appreciate the efforts of all involved, I’m just needing a lot more to be convinced of change

Exactly. The truth has no agenda. We don't want spin and corporate speak, we want facts.

Our club - like most other clubs - has become obsessed with protecting its 'brand'. **** that. We need to do things differently, be brave and unapologetic. It's not like we can get sponsors as is. We'll probably become more attractive as a club to supporters/sponsors if we're more assertive and more up front in all areas.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The players choice was Jonas.

The players are s**t at choosing who should be leader. Wines at least has the potential to be a good leader with the right coaching and advice. Jonas will never be one in a million years. He's just a bully - a king who rules by fear. So when the North game rolled around, the midfield rebelled against his tyrannical rule and said 'We're not going to play for you. See how good you are in defence without our help.'

"Keep blaming everyone but yourself....you see, because that's what a leader's about. Sacrifice. The times he's gotta sacrifice because he's gotta lead by example. Not by fear. And not by self-pity."

The thing was, Hinkley knew Jonas was the wrong choice, which is why he insisted on co-captains.

I'm not sure any of this really happened, but if Hinkley wasn't prepared to back in the players' vote, then the players should never have had a vote.

It's as simple as:
1. Coach is picking the captain, I'm picking Wines as captain, everyone get behind him.
or,
2. Players pick the captain, and whoever they vote for becomes captain.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was a fuller and franker meeting than I expected. That's why I didn't post anything last night. I wanted to think about it.

I expected a lot more non on-field/footy department issues to be discussed because I thought we would get bogged down with stuff that cant be changed. But having KT there, probably changed the whole agenda.

At times, it would have been uncomfortable listening for our staff members.

KT, Richo and Steve Shirley turned up plus a member of the footy club who I think works in physcology or maybe marketing who was taking a lot of notes, and helped facilitate the event, and got us back on track, by asking us all to explain certain words, or phrases we used and what we meant by them. Richo was writing key words, phrases up on the board and over the 2 hours he went back to some of them and linked them up with the current discussion. Chris Davies sat in for 15-20 minutes as he had a prior engagement.

I have no doubt a report will get written about the meeting and the issues raised. Who sees it and how much change it drives, is to be determined I guess.

We were told a few things in private re footy issues and asked to keep them within the room, so I will.

Respectful discussions about what Koch and Ken say and do, that we don't like, was put forward. None of the 3 guys who work for the club had any doubt about what we felt, but there wasn't any ranting.

The club is aware of its list issues, as we discussed the hole in that 24-27 year group. The club is concentrating on developing the guys 23 or less to fill that hole over the next couple of years.

I can tell the club is grappling with high expectations. It loves the fact we have them, but when we don't deliver and the industry is so different to those of us who saw all the Magpies success, (and all attendees saw plenty of that), how do they keep the message going that we are pushing hard to achieve our goals, but not divulge the club's IP and thinking that would hurt it.

EternalOptimist has covered the main issues we discussed adequately so I wont repeat them.

There was no silver bullet last night!

Thanks to FishingRick04 for organising this, and for club officials, KT, Richo, Steve Shirley and CD, and I enjoyed the discussions with those who made it, some I have known for a while, some who I met for the first time.
Great sounds like the club is aware of everything except the glaring obvious that Ken's a s**t coach

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Agreed, and with all due respect to the organiser of the meeting, and those who attended, I can't envisage any really positive changes aimed at getting the club away from this over emphasis of making the community proud and back to what its number one goal should be, ie making the finals regularly, and actually winning some whilst Koch remains as chairman.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So you will be attending every game then?
As in every year, I will renew my two platinum memberships to support the club financially, which is my point.
If I can’t or won’t attend all games my passes will be given away, And someone else will attend, as per the latter part of last year. This is how I will get through until things improve.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Yes publicly admitting it would be a good start.

We got a surprise spike in 13 and 14 , years ahead of what we expected , but failed at the final hurdle to make a GF.
We were supposedly in the Premiership window aiming at 2018, 2019.
KT said we has a team able to win a Premiership.

Then, all of a sudden, with no explanation to the members, the club is moving on good players and rebuilding towards 2024 ish.
The ship changed course and the club didn’t tell us, just left us wondering what the hell our decisions were all about.
Knowing the PAFC supporter base they handled it poorly.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agreed, and with all due respect to the organiser of the meeting, and those who attended, I can't envisage any really positive changes aimed at getting the club away from this over emphasis of making the community proud and back to what its number one goal should be, ie making the finals regularly, and actually winning some whilst Koch remains as chairman.
So, what do you suggest then? Sit back on our asses and do nothing? Just keep whinging, moaning, and bitching to each other?

The best thing we can do is calmly, clearly, and factually air our frustration with what is happening at the club. There is no better way than person-to-person. Many thanks to the attendees that got off their backsides & made the effort to attend, an kudos to the club for having the balls to go along with this.

Change has to start somewhere, and a spark, no matter how small, can start a bushfire!

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes publicly admitting it would be a good start.

We got a surprise spike in 13 and 14 , years ahead of what we expected , but failed at the final hurdle to make a GF.
We were supposedly in the Premiership window aiming at 2018, 2019.
KT said we has a team able to win a Premiership.

Then, all of a sudden, with no explanation to the members, the club is moving on good players and rebuilding towards 2024 ish.
The ship changed course and the club didn’t tell us, just left us wondering what the hell our decisions were all about.
Knowing the PAFC supporter base they handled it poorly.
We had a top 4 list KT and Kochie said 3 years ago LOL

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Great post.

The first step to accountability is admitting that something didn't go to plan. Only then can you start to properly problem solve.

Saying that our trajectory is good is very frustrating. I've said this in multiple emails to Matthew Richardson, but Port people aren't stupid and won't accept bullshit. The disconnect with supporters stems from the propaganda and expectation management.

Just be honest with us.

If I was to interpret that statement, "the culture collapsed", really means the culture is no good. The culture allows behaviours that result in poor performance.

A culture that collapses after a few losses is not a culture worth having.

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't believe you people are drinking their koolaid

A few years ago this was where the goal posts were and now they've changed (again)

Sack the ******* coach and stop spinning bullshit to hide the glaringly obvious issue. KT and Kochie cut your losses and walk now before you're worth nothing in this industry.

Last edited:

PAFC66

Down a dark alley
Feb 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
But if you admit youre doing things wrong yet don’t change any key personnel responsible for poor decisions you might look foolish!
They can't.
They'd have to walk.
They all wanted to be here for the 150th and that's exactly what has happened. None of them have any chance in hell at being here next year especially when we finish bottom 4 (which realistically should happen) so this is their final dance. It's a business. Nobody gives a * really. Spin spin spin..

Last edited:
As much as we appreciate them 'listening until they actually do something then it is all lip service. The need to prove themselves and so far have not.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Yes but if the GDV isn’t there we need alternatives
Random locations aren't alternatives.

The club tried an alternative on the south of the river adjacent the southern end of the footbridge. This leveraged on the back of an existing venue (Home Ground?) reducing set up costs. Despite being adjacent to the direct route between AO and the railway station this alternative venue failed to replace the GDV because the biggest attraction of the GDV was that it was immediately adjacent to AO.

The old Curious Squire location would require costly set up and is on the route to nowhere in particular from AO. If people using Footy Express transport were to go there for a drink pre or post game it would require quite a hike. There is no way that location would be better than the Convention Center location let alone "perfect".

Curious Squire site to AO eastern gate - 800m
Home Ground to AO southern gate - 400m

Curious Squire site to Adelaide Railway Station - 1600m

EternalOptimist

Debutant
Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As much as we appreciate them 'listening until they actually do something then it is all lip service. The need to prove themselves and so far have not.
This.

Realistically, expectations of public self flagellation are unlikely to bear fruit, and if we are honest would not have happened under our traditional regime either. The traditional Port Adelaide would have kept it in house, and moved to address the issues.

Perhaps the difference, that we did reflect at the meeting, was that traditionally the members felt they were part of that in house group. To me that is the fundamental erosion that has occurred over the past 12 months in particular, and the meeting was an important first step, but only a first step to begin to address this.

Proof will be in the response, and following the meeting I am confident there will be a response in deeds rather than words for many of the issues raised by posters, other than coach. That was highlighted as the elephant in the room at the meeting, but that decision is made for now, so I refuse to develop an ulcer about it.

Agree that it is all on faith for now, and it is hard to keep that until the regular "dumb stuff" stops. Even if they get it right, this will be a slow grind to regain credibility. I am ok to give them that chance however.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This.

Realistically, expectations of public self flagellation are unlikely to bear fruit, and if we are honest would not have happened under our traditional regime either. The traditional Port Adelaide would have kept it in house, and moved to address the issues.

Perhaps the difference, that we did reflect at the meeting, was that traditionally the members felt they were part of that in house group. To me that is the fundamental erosion that has occurred over the past 12 months in particular, and the meeting was an important first step, but only a first step to begin to address this.

Proof will be in the response, and following the meeting I am confident there will be a response in deeds rather than words for many of the issues raised by posters, other than coach. That was highlighted as the elephant in the room at the meeting, but that decision is made for now, so I refuse to develop an ulcer about it.

Agree that it is all on faith for now, and it is hard to keep that until the regular "dumb stuff" stops. Even if they get it right, this will be a slow grind to regain credibility. I am ok to give them that chance however.

So the elephant in the room, Hinkley, was actually discussed? Was it simply a matter of them stating he's going to be the coach next year so there's no point in wasting time discussing it? Was it in any way acknowledged that Hinkley is the biggest issue?

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes !
I am with you on this one.
The deed is done for now so refusing to get a membership for 2020 because we didn’t get our way is just like throwing toys out of the cot, a tantrum.
We need to move on and find something to enjoy next year and support the club even though it feels hard.
It sounds like the club has listened. Thanks Rick.
I want our club to be fully funded.
The excruciating tenure of Ken will end soon enough now unless he pulls out a miraculous result. The club aren’t that stupid, the groundswell is too big.
It’s all we can do! It is what it is!
I have cancelled the auto renewal but plan to renew and get seats that have some protection from the rain during the winter season and the afternoon/evening sun in the late autumn games. No such protection on the eastern wing.
At least this is showing my support to the club’s needs in 2020 and beyond.

We had a top 4 list KT and Kochie said 3 years ago LOL
What is your definition of a top 4 list?

What do you think a team that finishes 4th can achieve? Somebody in the top 4 has to finish 4th at the end of the minor round.

And more importantly, what has a team that has finished 4th has achieved since the start of the 2000 season, when the game went fully professional, ie every player was fulltime employed by the club, big money came in from TV rights, coaches had more than 1 assistant and the current final 8 system started?

What is your definition of a top 4 list?

What do you think a team that finishes 4th can achieve? Somebody in the top 4 has to finish 4th at the end of the minor round.

And more importantly, what has a team that has finished 4th has achieved since the start of the 2000 season, when the game went fully professional, ie every player was fulltime employed by the club, big money came in from TV rights, coaches had more than 1 assistant and the current final 8 system started?

I think it's not unreasonable to expect a top 4 list to finish top 4 in the regular season at least once.

I think it's not unreasonable to expect a top 4 list to finish top 4 in the regular season at least once.
Making a Prelim Final is like making it to base camp at Mount Everest. That's all really. It gives you an opportunity to get to the mountain top. Finishing 4th, at the end of the minor round, pretty much means you don't get much further up the 3,500m climb to the mountain top.

Last edited:
Back