Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gumbies FC
Re: Hawthorn vs Collingwood + umpires

You can easily argue the non fifty against schoemakers and the "high" to puopolo off davis (when there was no contact) cost us 12 points early on, so it went both ways and hawks lost the game themselves

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda

IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg
IMG_2476.jpg

I think it was let go as that was the closest Brown came to the ball all night.

Redlight

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood

Because the fight back was assisted by some horrible umpiring decisions and non-decisions in the last quarter. I've never seen a post-game umpiring whinge thread with so many neutral supporters agreeing that one side was shafted. Clearly Hawk's were robbed. Cats or Eagles better win next week, otherwise this is the most tainted flag in living memory.

Enjoy your undeserved victory. Go cats and eagles!

I know you'll never watch it again because it hurts too much.

I just did. I watched the 'dubious' decisions frame-by-frame, and I can tell you that the umpiring was not great, but neither was it one-sided, and it had no impact on the outcome.

The Hodge decision is absolutely correct as there was no high contact. ALL contact was to the upper arm. Play on.

The Puopolo decision was tough but there were plenty of incidents that should've gone the Pies way and didn't.

I know you won't be convinced, but only because you refuse to see anything that doesn't suit your world view.

If you looked at it dispassionately you'd acknowledge the truth of what I've said.

Of course, I know you won't do that. :)

policegetthatman

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 1, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Umps were good all night bar the last qtr. A shame we all remember all the bad calls and not the good ones.
Though Puops call was unforgivable :/

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies

Collingwood supporters only think the umpires were against them for the first 3 quarters, because, Collingwood losing = umpires fault. Was even in the first 3 quarters, with barely a questionable, important call made.

Umpires turned the game on it's head in the last with some deplorable, game changing decisions. I guess 15 others clubs must be wrong though. ;/
Hypocrite much??

Collingwood winning = umpire's fault

Some decisions made tonight were horrific. Both ways. We got a couple of bad ones on the fourth in our favour, but it's just one quarter.

28/26 frees does not demonstrate an imbalance over the journey. There were a huge amount of bad calls and non calls tonight. The umpiring was terrible. But it was also certainly evenly terrible.

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond

The best team won. Nuf said. Go have a cry. Every club has harsh decisions paid against them. Brown and gibbo were holding eachother. Inthe 1st qtr they outlawed body contact per say in any marking contest. Poor hawkes they were brave bla bla bla

As an unbiased viewer (who has no like for either team), I disagree.
Hawthorn were the better team tonight.
A couple of individual efforts from Swan and I hate to say it, Cloke, got you over the line.
Hawthorn's was a more even performance, except for Lewis who was an out and out star tonight.
Seems that Collingwood supporters haven't got to M in the dictionary to understand magnanimous.

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood

just watched the last quarter on replay. hard to see what all the whingeing is about really

yes, gibson could have got a free when davis goals early

the hodge "high" call was not a free. no high contact

the puopolo holding the ball was entirely correct. ducked his head, didn't try to dispose of the ball, tackled correctly, gone

there were also a few non calls to the pies - on the wing i think it was stratton (no. 24 for the hawks?) ends up literally lying on dawes back as the ball spills out of bounds but apparently that's not in the back. there's also mitchell winning a clearance, tries to run away from his man, gets tackled, drops it and picks it up again and kicks it. apparently that is no longer holding the ball. i also didn't hear hawks fans whingeing about the 2 dodgy free puopolo got against davis which resulted in (very poor) shots on goal in 1st and 3rd quarters

hawthorn lost because they weren't good enough. umpires did not cost them the game

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

what about the free kick to jolly goal in first half.

Collingwood didnt even kick a winning score off their on boot.

Take out Swan , Pendles and Cloke and Geelong would win by more than 100 points!!!!

Just think if Collingwood never poached L ball they still would be without the cup recently.

Lyon really did wreck St Kilda, Freo must think all their nightmares have come at once!!!!

May 20, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
29,327 posts

Unbelievable response to this thread. Says it all really!!!!!

I'm just glad it has been acknowledged for a change.

Also, we missed chances to put them away, we were still the better team & the umpires handed the victory to Collingwood.

Gutted. Malthouse cried because he witnessed a miracle. Shaun Ryan #25 the piece of s**t has umpired and murdered us in every final of 2011. How is it even allowed that he umpire every game of ours???????

Up yours AD, JG & the rest of you scum.

Feb 2, 2001
Valhalla
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
VFL Magpies

hawthorn lost because they weren't good enough.
Exactly!

If Hodge had have got the free, then I'd have walked away pissed off with our performance, not the scumps.

Fair whack of barracking going on in this analysis. The simple truth is the umps were shithouse. I reckon they are most finals, except for the Granny when they usually try not to interfere (for a change!).

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

I didn't see a single umpire put hands on the throat of any Hawk player - so how come they choked???

Seriously it was a great game and to blame the umps for the Hawks loss is absolute rubbish.

tjpeg_44

Senior List
Aug 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVC, WHU, SEA

There were some dodgy decisions both ways, as always. Umpires did not cost the Hawks the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood

Also, we missed chances to put them away, we were still the better team & the umpires handed the victory to Collingwood.

Gutted. Malthouse cried because he witnessed a miracle. Shaun Ryan #25 the piece of s**t has umpired and murdered us in every final of 2011. How is it even allowed that he umpire every game of ours???????

you were the better team on the night. and the umpires had no impact on the final result over 4 quarters. collingwood copped just as many rough ones as the hawks. so stop your sooking and enjoy your summer

Go GWS

Draftee
Sep 24, 2011
AFL Club
GWS

Bemusing.

Newish to AFL, loved it for most match, intensity of both sides great advert for the game.

Can't say I noticed umpiring decisions for first three quarters, then that last quarter... ...threw me completely, not too sure now.

At least my eagles flatmate is amusing me now singing "good old collingwood foreva, they know how to PAY the game, bribe by bribe they stick together, to uphold the magpies game...."

Twenty 11 Pies

Debutant
Jul 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Bemusing.

Newish to AFL, loved it for most match, intensity of both sides great advert for the game.

Can't say I noticed umpiring decisions for first three quarters, then that last quarter... ...threw me completely, not too sure now.

At least my eagles flatmate is amusing me now singing "good old collingwood foreva, they know how to PAY the game, bribe by bribe they stick together, to uphold the magpies game...."
Go and learn the rules if you are new to afl.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Re: Josh Gibson in the goalsquare for the Ball & Davis goals

cant stand hawthorn at all outside of franklin, and they were completely shattered by the umps. it wasnt always what was paid, but what wasn't. the puopolo htb and the diving 50 given to collingwood were terrible.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast

Funny, but in actuality it would has everything to do with umpires blundering in intense finals (and let's be honest no decision last night matched the Hawkins goal mishap :eek:) and nothing to do with bribery.

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda

Why is anyone surprised?

We all predicted that the fashion in which the game has been umpired this year, was going to lead to questionable decisions in crucial moments of a big final.

They didn't disappoint. :thumbsdown:

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

Spot on, I am watching the replay, armchair ride all the way. Absolutely shocking, some of Hawthorns missed shots were bad also though

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I know you'll never watch it again because it hurts too much.

I just did. I watched the 'dubious' decisions frame-by-frame, and I can tell you that the umpiring was not great, but neither was it one-sided, and it had no impact on the outcome.

The Hodge decision is absolutely correct as there was no high contact. ALL contact was to the upper arm. Play on.

The Puopolo decision was tough but there were plenty of incidents that should've gone the Pies way and didn't.

I know you won't be convinced, but only because you refuse to see anything that doesn't suit your world view.

If you looked at it dispassionately you'd acknowledge the truth of what I've said.

Of course, I know you won't do that. :)

Agreed that its poor form to blame umpires but the tidal wave of complaints regarding the last qtr isnt motivated by anti-Collingwood sentiment I'm afraid. Make no bones about it, the decisions effected the result of the match and that is what supporters (of just about every club) are speaking out against. That said, so did Schoenmakers dropped mark and Bateman's kick and hope forays into the fwd line. A lot fell into line for the Pies to win that game and unfortunately it seems that it was more to do with external things going right for them than how they executed the game. Sorry if this sounds embittered (it probably is) but I feel that it's accurate.

All the best next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back