Prediction Melbourne 05/06 VS Melbourne 16/17

Who Would Win?

• Melbourne 2005/2006

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Melbourne 2016/2017

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So in 2015 i asked the question to the board, who was would win if they played each other the 2015 or the 2011 side, and it got some divided opinions. So a couple of years later lets follow up with our last finals side vs the current side that could have potentially made finals this year and last.

Don't overthink it to much though with rotations and that sort of stuff, obviously the game has changed since 06 but it's still footy at it's core

So who do you think would win and why? and if you want to go more in depth select your best 22 for each side and the key match ups and battles. For example the forwards at either end Hogan vs Neitz as a battle, and Hogan vs Carroll as a matchup

A quick attempt at the best 22 in 2006

FB- Whelan, Carroll, Ward
HB- Pickett, Rivers, N.Brown
C-Yze, McDonald, Bruce
HF-Green, Miller, Bate
FF-Robertson, Neitz, Davey
Fol-White, McLean, Johnstone
Int- Moloney, Jamar, Bartram, Jones

Who am I forgetting?

I left Sylvia out as he definitely wasn't best 22 in 2006

v

Best 22 2017

FB-Jetta, OMac, Salem
HB-Hibberd, Tmac, Hunt
C- Lewis, Tyson, Jones
HF-Watts, Pederson, ANB
FF-Gartlett, Hogan, Petracca
Fol- Gawn, Oliver, Viney
Int-Vince, Salem, Brayshaw, Melksham

White v Gawn would be a great battle in the ruck. I reckon the inside grunt of 2017 is better (Oliver, Viney, Jones, Tyson), but the run and carry of 2006 is better (Johnstone, Ward, Bruce, Yze).

Forward lines and backlines are very similar.
Whelan = Jetta
Miller = Pederson

It would be a cracking game, I would give it slightly to 2006 as I reckon Neitz and Robbo would have a field day v our KPD.

Having said that the 2006 team was at their peak and the end of an era and wouldn't get any better. Whereas the 2017 team has a massive upside and is just starting out

A quick attempt at the best 22 in 2006

FB- Whelan, Carroll, Ward
HB- Pickett, Rivers, N.Brown
C-Yze, McDonald, Bruce
HF-Green, Miller, Bate
FF-Robertson, Neitz, Davey
Fol-White, McLean, Johnstone
Int- Moloney, Jamar, Bartram, Jones

Who am I forgetting?

I left Sylvia out as he definitely wasn't best 22 in 2006

v

Best 22 2017

FB-Jetta, OMac, Salem
HB-Hibberd, Tmac, Hunt
C- Lewis, Tyson, Jones
HF-Watts, Pederson, ANB
FF-Gartlett, Hogan, Petracca
Fol- Gawn, Oliver, Viney
Int-Vince, Salem, Brayshaw, Melksham

White v Gawn would be a great battle in the ruck. I reckon the inside grunt of 2017 is better (Oliver, Viney, Jones, Tyson), but the run and carry of 2006 is better (Johnstone, Ward, Bruce, Yze).

Forward lines and backlines are very similar.
Whelan = Jetta
Miller = Pederson

It would be a cracking game, I would give it slightly to 2006 as I reckon Neitz and Robbo would have a field day v our KPD.

Having said that the 2006 team was at their peak and the end of an era and wouldn't get any better. Whereas the 2017 team has a massive upside and is just starting out

Don't think Barry was around in 06 mate. Swap him with Holland.

I reckon 06 inside midfield was carried by McLean and then the hot and cold Johnstone. The current midfield would belt them but I agree no one would have gone with Neitz and Robbo would have had some fun. Also the ball movement of 06 was much better and they would have exposed the current sides lack of run. For mine 17 just shades it because the 06 Backline sucked

Jamar vs Pedersen as relief rucks would be a good duel, Jamar is a better tap but Pedo has a good leap and does more around the ground. Both get pushed forward when their turn is up

05/06 would kick 12 goals from turnovers and win by 4-5 goals.
Neitz would kick 10 due to the turnovers and zone defence being caught out he would be left 1 v 1 with Jetta all game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jamar vs Pedersen as relief rucks would be a good duel, Jamar is a better tap but Pedo has a good leap and does more around the ground. Both get pushed forward when their turn is up
Jamar surely would have Pedo coverd in height.

I'd imagine a Moloney versus Oliver battle getting a little niggly and personal... probably spend a full quarter mouthing off at each other. Make it 2006 rules so they can jumper punch til their eyes bleed.

As much as I loved the Russian besides the one season his output wasn't that great. Despite being our number one target at kick outs he rarely took a contested mark & there were far too many games where his disposals could be counted on one hand.

Back