Club Focus Melbourne 2020 - Brown, Bowey, Laurie, Rosman

AFL Club Focus

What do Melbourne need to focus on this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne club focus thread

Papley is an absolute must get for us. Pick 2 for him, Zak Jones, and the Swans 2019 second. Send the second with our second to Freo for Langdon and their third. Head to the draft with 3 late picks and back our drafting which has been really solid since 2013 really

If we could get Papley and Langdon this year I'd be over the moon.

Just not sure if we can keep a first round pick in this year's draft if we get both. I back our drafting team; we've drafted very well for the last 5-6 years, but after this year I don't have confidence in coaching and development as much anymore.

We'd have to make a fair few delistings we brought in Papley/Langdon/Jones in one off-season. Lewis/Maynard have retired, and Jeffy/Joel Smith look likely to leave. Lockhart is probably going to get upgraded to the senior list, so we'd need to make 3 delistings. Barring trade interest, out of JKH/ANB/Stretch/J. Wagner/Kolodjashnij I'd be delisting KK/Wagner/Stretch. If KK wants to stay on I think he needs to be on the rookie list.

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Kade Chandler, Kyle Dunkley, Sam Frost, Jeff Garlett, Declan Keilty, Jay Kennedy Harris, Jay Lockhart, Nathan Jones, Tim Smith, Billy Stretch, Corey Wagner

"Joel Smith, Josh Wagner and Oskar Baker are all locked in for next year, while the other Wagner – Corey – and mid-season draftee Dunkley are also expected to continue. Frost is enjoying a career-best season and will come to terms at some point, while Jones is also going to continue next year. Stretch and Lockhartshould also get fresh deals and Chandler just made his AFL debut after some promising VFL performances, but Tim Smith is highly unlikely to play on. Garlett, Kennedy Harris and Keilty are in a holding pattern."

Rumour on our board that the Dees are chasing Isaac Smith

Straight swap for Petracca would do it :p
Petracca is a must keep. Granted he hasn’t reached anything like his potential yet but transferring him out so he becomes a gun elsewhere is not a good move. I reckon the biggest issue with him is he is not as fit As he should be. Misses shots mainly due to fatigue. We have a bad habit at Melbourne in bagging our talent. We crucified Jack Watts. Look forward to seeing how Petracca goes after a pre season with Burgess. Injury prone May should be better if he puts his bloody stubby down and gets seriously prepared as well.

Let’s start the insanity.

Melbourne receive: Hawks pick 10 + pick 28 + Smith

Hawthorn receive: Demons pick 2 + pick 56 + pick 74

giphy.gif

Let’s start the insanity.

Melbourne receive: Hawks pick 10 + pick 28 + Smith

Hawthorn receive: Demons pick 2 + pick 56 + pick 74

giphy.gif

I'm glad you prefaced that with insanity because Melbourne aren't trading back to pick 10 for a 30 year old Smith and a second round pick.

Really wouldn't mind Dan Butler, could get him rather cheap one would think.

Out: Lewis,Garlett, Kielty, Maynard, Stretch, Kennedy-Harris, Pick 2,20,38

In: Dan Butler,Karl Amon, Ed Langdon, Pick 11,13

Draft Picks: 2,20,38,56,74

Trades:
Melbourne Receive: Pick 11 and 13
GWS Receive: Pick 2

Melbourne Receive: Ed Langdon
Fremantle Receive: Pick 20

Melbourne Receive: Karl Amon
Port Adelaide Receive: Future Second Rounder.

Melbourne Receive: Dan Butler
Richmond Receive: Pick 38

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what GWS get out of trading 11 & 13 for pick 2/3 but don’t really see what Melbourne get out of splitting that pick for mid first rounders alone.
If it's #3 I could see it - gets you two decent talents rather than one very good but not elite one, but I wouldn't be passing up Anderson even if he isn't a great list fit.

Neal-Bullen should be on the trade table.

Had enough chances at the Dees. Really going nowhere as a player. Needs a new club and a fresh start.

He was very good in 2018 but had a poor 2019 so "really going nowhere as a player" is incorrect, no point trading him just for the sake of it.

Trades:

Don’t split pick 2. Remember, the Kelly trade.

The rest of the trades are all good.

He’s s**t mate, I’d take a packet of chips.

Outside of Garlett who averaged the most tackles inside 50 (due to small sample size of 7 games) in the league ANB was among the league leaders.

Christian Petracca is the only other forward we have that applies pressure, so I'm not further weakening that by trading ANB for nothing useful.

If it's #3 I could see it - gets you two decent talents rather than one very good but not elite one, but I wouldn't be passing up Anderson even if he isn't a great list fit.
I just don’t see it. Pick 3 is still pretty blue chip, pick 12 & 14 are not. I get splitting the pick if we still retain something in the top 10 and get a player of some note ala the 2013 trade involving pick 2 for Tyson and pick 9. It’d be pretty ballsy for the club to turn around to its members and say we’ve traded pick 3, the pick we receive for having a campaigner of a year for the magic beans of two mid first rounders.

Neal-Bullen should be on the trade table.

Had enough chances at the Dees. Really going nowhere as a player. Needs a new club and a fresh start.
I’m not a fan. He lacks a lot of composure. That said, he’s still worth more to us than the pick 75 or whatever we’d get for trading him. He proved in 2018 that he can be a decent role player.

Trades:

I like this. In the GWS deal maybe swap our 2020 4th for their 2020 3rd. Then package 2 2020 3rds with pick 13 to Sydney for Papley. Sydney get something worth pick 7/8 that benefits them next year when they will potentially want to match the likes of Gulden/Campbell etc. Head to the draft with pick 11 and the two throwaways; pick 56 might be able to get us something when similar range picks have gotten us Harmes/Hunt/Hore/Hannan over the years, so draft the best player left who's last name begins with H

Trades:

We'd need more from GWS in that pick swap

Jones signs on for 2020

8 more re-signings at Melbourne: Neal-Bullen, Baker, Dunkley, Chandler, Lockhart, J Wagner, C Wagner, Smith.

Sam Frost, Jay Kennedy Harris, Tim Smith, Billy Stretch out of contract

Back