Club Focus Melbourne 2020 - Brown, Bowey, Laurie, Rosman

AFL Club Focus

What do Melbourne need to focus on this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne club focus thread
Jones signs on for 2020

8 more re-signings at Melbourne: Neal-Bullen, Baker, Dunkley, Chandler, Lockhart, J Wagner, C Wagner, Smith.

Sam Frost, Jay Kennedy Harris, Tim Smith, Billy Stretch out of contract

Tim smith has retired, JKH wont get another contact and i suggest Stretch may try find another club for next year.

I hope the Hawks are keen on Kennedy-Harris.
I certainly wouldn't complain if the Hawks or any club for that matter were interested, but honestly I think you'd be better served looking elsewhere. For mine, I just don't think he should be on a club list next year. I'd be disappointed if he was still on our list next year.

I certainly wouldn't complain if the Hawks or any club for that matter were interested, but honestly I think you'd be better served looking elsewhere. For mine, I just don't think he should be on a club list next year. I'd be disappointed if he was still on our list next year.

I think JKH has suffered from a lack of continuity in his career. Rarely has he played a full season and always seems to be the first one dropped by Melbourne. I do think he could succeed if given a decent run at a new club.

Lever, May, Oliver, Gawn, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, T McDonald, Fritsch, Melksham , Harmes, Langdon and Tomlinson.

All signs are pointing to a bounce back excellent year.

Probably the side to be most taken of notice of next year with a bottom 2 draw.

Calm down.

I'm confident we will bounce back next year, every thing that could go wrong did go wrong this season but "all signs pointing to a bounce back year" is pure hyperbole when nothing has happened yet.

Also "the side to be most taken of notice of next year" (are you drunk?) isn't going to be us at all.

Including two players we are yet to acquire (one I'm not sure I even want in Tomlinson) is ridiculous, at least let a portion of the off-season happen before spouting this tripe.

So what do the Dees look at doing this draft and trade period?

Don't have a 1st rounder but the draft is compromised.

Need a kp forward and some quicker more skillful flanker to feed the ball inside the forward 50.

They really should have chased Ellis and or Hill. Maybe cap space was the issue.

Players of interest.

Brander and Petrucelle - Eagles.

Narkle, Fogarty or Parfit- Cats.

Christiansen - Lions

Others??

Tomlinson been very disappointing so far.

Forward line barely functioning.

Melksham gone backwards.

Easy to say that things won't turn around again until they get a new coach, but financially they can't pay him out for another couple of years on his contract. Would definitely be giving GM Josh Mahoney the flick though.

The Jake Lever trade was the right call, but Steven May has been an unmitigated disaster, as has their pick swap with North (although Kosi Pickett will be a very good player)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do the Dees look at doing this draft and trade period?

Don't have a 1st rounder but the draft is compromised.

Need a kp forward and some quicker more skillful flanker to feed the ball inside the forward 50.

They really should have chased Ellis and or Hill. Maybe cap space was the issue.

Players of interest.

Brander and Petrucelle - Eagles.

Narkle, Fogarty or Parfit- Cats.

Christiansen - Lions

Others??
Christensen will most likely be delisted at the end of the season.

Depending on list reductions, etc. there might be quite a few players available that would offer a short term fix for Melbourne.

In general terms, this is possibly the “best” draft to have later picks in, and to have traded out of the first round.

With the increasing likelihood of no underage football in Victoria this year, who can recruiters adequately rate this years draft crop.

There’s little to no chance of identifying the late developers, kids whose development stalls or regresses, out of Victoria this year.

So for a team like GWS, their situation is ideal. They just take the best remaining talent, or academy kids, at their picks.

For Melbourne however, potentially trading a top 3 pick might not be as disastrous as some people are making out.

The top KPF is nga tied to the Bulldogs, and the best flanker, who was considered a strong number 1 candidate did his ACL.

That leaves a small, but skilled inside midfielder, and a South Australian ruck forward as the other potential top candidates.

Unless Melbourne blow their team up at the end of the season, neither Phillips or Thilthorpe are a priority need for them.

And if Melbourne do blow it up somewhat, well they’ll more than likely get a high pick or two back in this years draft.

Christensen will most likely be delisted at the end of the season.

Depending on list reductions, etc. there might be quite a few players available that would offer a short term fix for Melbourne.

In general terms, this is possibly the “best” draft to have later picks in, and to have traded out of the first round.

With the increasing likelihood of no underage football in Victoria this year, who can recruiters adequately rate this years draft crop.

There’s little to no chance of identifying the late developers, kids whose development stalls or regresses, out of Victoria this year.

So for a team like GWS, their situation is ideal. They just take the best remaining talent, or academy kids, at their picks.

For Melbourne however, potentially trading a top 3 pick might not be as disastrous as some people are making out.

The top KPF is nga tied to the Bulldogs, and the best flanker, who was considered a strong number 1 candidate did his ACL.

That leaves a small, but skilled inside midfielder, and a South Australian ruck forward as the other potential top candidates.

Unless Melbourne blow their team up at the end of the season, neither Phillips or Thilthorpe are a priority need for them.

And if Melbourne do blow it up somewhat, well they’ll more than likely get a high pick or two back in this years draft.

I'm glad a neutral person said this because I didn't want people to think I'm excusing some of our questionable off-field moves but I'm really not that worried about the draft this year. We've got a million issues but not having a first this year doesn't bother me.

Tomlinson been very disappointing so far.

Forward line barely functioning.

Melksham gone backwards.

Easy to say that things won't turn around again until they get a new coach, but financially they can't pay him out for another couple of years on his contract. Would definitely be giving GM Josh Mahoney the flick though.

The Jake Lever trade was the right call, but Steven May has been an unmitigated disaster, as has their pick swap with North (although Kosi Pickett will be a very good player)
Imagine having Steven May when you should have had Ben King or anyone else from “super draft”. Then also trading away this years first in a draft deep with top end talls. Negligent.

Dees already have Pickett from last draft.

Find a Liam Ryan and another skillfull half forward and things can change pretty quickly.

And then you have a player like a Butler who was a premiership player at Richmond and the Saints landed him late for a packet of twisties.

Imagine having Steven May when you should have had Ben King or anyone else from “super draft”. Then also trading away this years first in a draft deep with top end talls. Negligent.

That is why I think Mahoney (and later on Goodwin) have to go.

Although hindsight is 20/20, I thought at the time the deal for The Dees for Steven May was way overs. That trade could possibly really have set them back at least 3 years (and not to mention that pick swap with North)

Incredibly I think Adrian Dodoro (yes seriously) could get the Dees out of the current mess their list is in (which is quite capable of being repaired within a year or two with some astute draft and trading)

I'm glad a neutral person said this because I didn't want people to think I'm excusing some of our questionable off-field moves but I'm really not that worried about the draft this year. We've got a million issues but not having a first this year doesn't bother me.
Don’t get me wrong, I believe it was a terrible trade.

You absolutely overpaid to draft Pickett.

If you had drafted Trent Rivers or Jeremy Sharp (or Deven Robertson, but he was never a need) at pick 12 I wouldn’t have blinked.

But Pickett should have been a late first or early second round pick at best.

If you had traded your future 2020 first round pick to Richmond or Geelong for their 2019 and 2020 first round picks, I would have considered that a good trade.

As it is, I’m starting to believe Melbourne’s struggles are cultural in a way. Different to what happened on the Gold Coast in the past, or at Adelaide right now, but still cultural in nature.

That is why I think Mahoney (and later on Goodwin) have to go.

Although hindsight is 20/20, I thought at the time the deal for The Dees for Steven May was way overs. That trade could possibly really have set them back at least 3 years (and not to mention that pick swap with North)

Incredibly I think Adrian Dodoro (yes seriously) could get the Dees out of the current mess their list is in (which is quite capable of being repaired within a year or two with some astute draft and trading)
I don’t get why Dodoro would get us out of this mess. He has built a list (Lists) that haven’t won a final for 16 years.

IMO Dees need to get a coach that would work with the talent on this list. The talent is there. So far this year Goodwin hasn’t been able to establish any form of functioning forward line. We were a very high scoring forward line in 2018. Yes we had Hogan but he only kicked 16 goals in his last 9 games. And we scored reasonably well without him as he missed the last part of the year. What did we do without Hogan? Played another key forward or course. What’s Goodwin doing this year? Bombing long to one out Tmac. He clearly needs to play another tall forward. Just play Weideman! And would you believe according to the Melbourne website we don’t have a forward coach. Kinda makes sense. Honestly give this list to Ross Lyon and it’d be a finals team.

List management? I don’t mind what Mahoney Taylor and co have done. I think we’re getting the prices of the puzzle. Just need to use them. For instance, we spent two first rounders and plenty of cash on Lever. But somehow don’t set up to use him as an intercept player. It’s mind boggling.

We certainly need some more speed and skill and need to get Bennell in once he’s right to go. Which hopefully is this week.

In terms of the list I think we’re obviously too top heavy in inside mids. The club seriously needs to look at moving on either Brayshaw or dare I say Viney. He’s heart and soul and will run through brick walls for the team.

I also think trading out of this years first round isn’t turning out bad. Given the Lack of junior footy. But if we give up a top 5 pick it’ll be a hard sell. Mind you Pickett will be a star. Once he starts making the most of his chances he’s gonna be very dangerous. And Rivers I see and a long term player. Has some really good attributes and I was surprised he was still there. Pickett mind you wouldn’t have got past the next couple of picks apparently.

Still relatively early but this is really looking like a huge blunder.

History shows gun KPF's are almost always top draft picks whereas gun KPD's are far easier to find. And as David King pointed out, the best model for list management is to pay the bigger portion of your salary cap on gun forwards and mids...moreso than defenders.

Thing is Melbourne in 2018 finished high and were shooting to win a premiership so getting in a ready-made player like May seemed like the missing piece...but boy have they fallen off a cliff since then.

Think Melbourne's forward line issues are very much exaggerated. Weideman is an exceptional young KPF and the perfect 2nd ruck/CHF. Is there a reason why he's not playing? Is he injured?

Anyways, Melbourne's midfield once again confirmed its glaring weaknesses on the weekend. Melbourne's inside ball winning ability is elite - Oliver, Viney, Harmes, Petracca are all capable of dominating the clearances/hard ball gets. However, there's no point of getting the ball when it doesn't translate into meaningful metres gained (not straight to opposition).

Let's categorise disposal quality into 3 tiers:

Tier 1 - Pendlebury/Bontempelli/Martin/Kelly (GWS)/Walters - Consistently hit forward targets inside 50 in contested situations

Tier 2 - Mitchell (Hawks), Cripps, Dangerfield, Adams, Neale - Kicking isn't an offensive weapon for them, but it doesn't get exposed with most of them choosing to handball effectively to an outside player, or kicking long to a contest.

Tier 3 - Treloar, M Crouch, B Crouch, Worpel, Wines - You never want to have the ball in any of these guys' hands. Kicking lacks penetration and precision. Even their handballs are often without a direction, or it goes to a player under pressure. Treloar at the very least can effectively run and carry, although for god knows what reason he's trying to play like Patrick Cripps.

I'd say all of Melbourne midfielders (Oliver, Viney, Harmes, Brayshaw) fall under tier 3, which is just a terrible midfield mix. Even Langdon on the outside I'd say has dodgy skills for a wingman. Each of these players offer exceptional inside ability, but you just can't play all of them in the same side. Petracca from what I've seen makes mistakes, but he's the closest to tier 1 out of all Melbourne midfielders. Petracca is the only player who can offer meaningful clearances for Melbourne, and for Dees midfield to function properly, he really needs to be at as many contests as possible. However obviously Melbourne needs him up forward as well, so that might not be possible.

In regards to how to fix all of this. Playing Weideman would be the first and most immediate step. In regards to recruitment targets, Williams, Hately and Caldwell all offer good decision making and strong inside 50 delivery while also being able to win the hard ball themselves. All will be expensive, I'd be willing to offload one of Oliver/Viney/Harmes/Brayshaw for one of the aforementioned GWS player, with Petracca being the only untouchable player from the mix. Williams would be my #1 choice, dodgy durability, but is an extremely efficient half back/wingman/skilful inside mid, all areas of deficiency for Melbourne. If there's a deal trading Brayshaw for Williams, Melbourne should take that and run.

Think Melbourne's forward line issues are very much exaggerated. Weideman is an exceptional young KPF and the perfect 2nd ruck/CHF. Is there a reason why he's not playing? Is he injured?

Yeah I was going to ask this. Tore us to shreds in the finals and then never heard of again.

Also Tom McDonald, any reasons for his drop off or did he just have a fluke year in 2018?

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of development on their list. You have the high draft picks then the rest of the list is made up of players from other clubs and VFL types like Lockhart, Wagner etc.

Yeah I was going to ask this. Tore us to shreds in the finals and then never heard of again.

Also Tom McDonald, any reasons for his drop off or did he just have a fluke year in 2018?

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of development on their list. You have the high draft picks then the rest of the list is made up of players from other clubs and VFL types like Lockhart, Wagner etc.
Tom Mcdonald is like Mihocek, mobile, can dominate games, but relies on there being a strong #1 KPF to take the pressure away.

Back