Club Focus Melbourne 2020 - Brown, Bowey, Laurie, Rosman

AFL Club Focus

What do Melbourne need to focus on this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne club focus thread
For some reason I don't think we'll be active in this year's trade period.
We really haven't got much fire power (no 1st round pick) to work with.

More forward class and a couple of developing talls will be on our priority list.

For some reason I don't think we'll be active in this year's trade period.
We really haven't got much fire power (no 1st round pick) to work with.

More forward class and a couple of developing talls will be on our priority list.

We don't need to be active. We have a side capable enough to play finals, its down to the list we've got.

The Jake Lever trade was the right call, but Steven May has been an unmitigated disaster, as has their pick swap with North (although Kosi Pickett will be a very good player)
It is way too early to say the pick swap was a disaster.

Pickett has looked very promising, it looks like s**t is going to happen when he is near the ball. Plus at worst we should finish no lower than where we are now.

So we effectively gave up pick 4 in a compromised draft that plenty of the top talent has been academy listed and there is no final year exposed form for pick 8 in an uncompromising draft

Pickett has looked very promising, it looks like sh*t is going to happen when he is near the ball. Plus at worst we should finish no lower than where we are now.

So we effectively gave up pick 4 in a compromised draft that plenty of the top talent has been academy listed and there is no final year exposed form for pick 8 in an uncompromising draft

PLUS you get an extra year's development into Kosi and you filled an area that you absolutely needed.

Kosi is looking like star material. Three great goals created by him vs the Suns with football knowledge and great skills. He's got incredible pace and tackles with intent.

Yep honestly you might not “win” the trade and not jeez I hate that word but you sure aren’t losing it- Pickett looks a star

Yep honestly you might not “win” the trade and not jeez I hate that word but you sure aren’t losing it- Pickett looks a star

Yes it's about filling needs too when they are available. We look much more capable with Pickett and Bennell in the forward 50 than with Spargo and ANB.

Yes it's about filling needs too when they are available. We look much more capable with Pickett and Bennell in the forward 50 than with Spargo and ANB.

I mean you do need some outside class but that will come. You’ve started poorly but your list is not a bottom 6 one

Pickett has looked very promising, it looks like sh*t is going to happen when he is near the ball. Plus at worst we should finish no lower than where we are now.

Cope.

Pick 4, 26 and 50 for pick 8 is clearly as disaster of a trade. Everything in your post is just rationalisation of a bad deal that has only gotten worse. Doubt anyone at the MFC would buy your line of reasoning, though they're probably too busy thinking about the fact that they completely misjudged where their list was at.

Of course they can lose it - Salem is a good player but missed on Kelly - May is handy down back missed on Max King. Now in a side missing outside run with good kicking skills and a decent key forward these 2 players a huge misses.

If we draft a Kelly or King and Pickett becomes a Salem they sure will lose the trade.

Of course they can lose it - Salem is a good player but missed on Kelly - May is handy down back missed on Max King. Now in a side missing outside run with good kicking skills and a decent key forward these 2 players a huge misses.

If we draft a Kelly or King and Pickett becomes a Salem they sure will lose the trade.

Go back at the time, Salem and Tyson were very good players, this thing where there has to be a winner and loser in a trade is weird.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 4, 26 and 50 for pick 8 is clearly as disaster of a trade. Everything in your post is just rationalisation of a bad deal that has only gotten worse. Doubt anyone at the MFC would buy your line of reasoning, though they're probably too busy thinking about the fact that they completely misjudged where their list was at.
meh there is a reason everyone was trading out of the 2020 draft. The talent isn't there and the talent that is is tied to academies. Add in the fact that there will be no exposed form for 12 months and the draft is looking like a chook raffle (in fairness no one could have predicted this)

I'm not too worried by this trade, tbh it was taking a ruckman at pick 3 that has me more concerned

meh there is a reason everyone was trading out of the 2020 draft. The talent isn't there and the talent that is is tied to academies. Add in the fact that there will be no exposed form for 12 months and the draft is looking like a chook raffle (in fairness no one could have predicted this)

I'm not too worried by this trade, tbh it was taking a ruckman at pick 3 that has me more concerned
I don't think anyone is saying the talent isn't there? Wouldn't want late picks but it sounds like pointy end is better this year.

I don't think anyone is saying the talent isn't there? Wouldn't want late picks but it sounds like pointy end is better this year.
I guess we will have a better idea in 5-6 years time

It's all speculation really. Even more so this year with no under 18 carnivals, TAC form or schoolboys football to get a better picture

We traded 8 for 10, 28 and 2020 4th rounder. We used 3, 10 and got a good player in Rivers at 28, we didn't need or use 26 or 50. So we're only down the 2020 1st and I don't think that's set yet. Good luck to North if they can use those 2nd and 3rd round picks to their advantage.

So far I'm very happy with Pickett for our 2020 1st - he looks like a gun and fills a dire need.

I’d say Spargo is someone we’d keep. He’s still developing and we don’t have many small forwards. ANB was serviceable at the end of the season and plays his role. But there’s chatter he may be traded to Adelaide.
bloke can't kick the ball further than 30m.

Spargo showed some good signs but I would happily put him on the table

Is T Phillips for T McDonald & late pick swaps feasible ?
Seems Win/win - Pies get KPD/F, Dees get wing

Is T Phillips for T McDonald & late pick swaps feasible ?
Seems Win/win - Pies get KPD/F, Dees get wing

can't see it happening as t mac is on big coin after his 2018 season for a further two years, and the only ways dees will shed him is if the entire salary goes with him

o mac for phillips is more manageable from a cap perspective

Back