Melbourne 2021/2022 = Collingwood 2010/2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes sense

He sabotaged himself again a few years later at Carlton too

He is a ****wit.

He deliberately wanted us to trade for that dud Jakskh from the Giants and wanted us to draft Blaine Boekhorst cause he wanted us to win now (but to be fair, the 2014 draft was a crap fest in hindsight)

There was surprisingly two decent things that happened with MM's era at Carlton though, our greatest win since the 1999 Prelim Final in the 2013 Elimination Final and drafting Paddy Cripps later that year

Aside from that, he was by far the worst and most toxic coach in Carlton history (although heard a really nasty rumour about Ian Stewart in his short stint here too)

Least Pagan had excuses for his failure at Carlton and did sincerely try coach us with the best of intentions.

He is a ****wit.

He deliberately wanted us to trade for that dud Jakskh from the Giants and wanted us to draft Blaine Boekhorst cause he wanted us to win now (but to be fair, the 2014 draft was a crap fest in hindsight)

There was surprisingly two decent things that happened with MM's era at Carlton though, our greatest win since the 1999 Prelim Final in the 2013 Elimination Final and drafting Paddy Cripps later that year

Aside from that, he was by far the worst and most toxic coach in Carlton history (although heard a really nasty rumour about Ian Stewart in his short stint here too)

Least Pagan had excuses for his failure at Carlton and did sincerely try coach us with the best of intentions.
Yeah it was undoubtable a ******* disaster that sent your club backwards for a few years

I'll never forget his press conferences after a smashing on a Friday night where he was pretty much daring your board to sack him

Pagan was just unfortunate that he walked into a dysfunctional club that had just self sabotaged and he had no chance in fixing. Had he known what was just about to transpire at Carlton there is no way he would have gone there

A couple of handy players (Miller & Steele) went shortly after your pick in 2014, but I get your point

Pies couldn’t get near Geelong in 3 games in 2011, there is no such team to scare the Dees.

Pretty sure one of the games was only like 3 points, right?

The others were total hidings though - even the GF despite it being close early.

This Melb team could end up being like the 2018 Tigers and get completely sniped by a team that just has an amazing night.

How much "kiss on the dick" did Collingwood Pie get in 2011?

4 interstate games in the home and away season: Gold Coast (finished last with 3 wins and 56%), Ports Power (second last, also 3 wins), Fremantle (13th) and Sydney (only Top 8 side).

Call it what you like, that's corruption in my books.

The best team on the day, sure. The best team all year, not necessarily.
Gotta be the best 2 to make it to the big dance by winning at least 2 big finals. To get a chance to win those 2 big finals, you gotta have won more games than majority of the other sides in the competition.

Collingwood’s 2011 season was far superior than it’s 2010 season. We won 2010 and lost 2011. Geelong was the best team in 2011, and the GF win, in hindsight, validated that.

I don't buy into any theory that teams that aren’t the best side of that season win premierships. It’s plain disrespectful.

Gotta be the best 2 to make it to the big dance by winning at least 2 big finals. To get a chance to win those 2 big finals, you gotta have won more games than majority of the other sides in the competition.

Collingwood’s 2011 season was far superior than it’s 2010 season. We won 2010 and lost 2011. Geelong was the best team in 2011, and the GF win, in hindsight, validated that.

I don't buy into any theory that teams that aren’t the best side of that season win premierships. It’s plain disrespectful.
I admire your humility re 2011, but life isn’t always fair and the best team of the season doesn’t always win the grand final. That’s just the way it goes and it’s one of the great things about sports with a sudden death finals systems (NFL / AFL etc - compared to other sports with 7 game series in their playoffs)

I admire your humility re 2011, but life isn’t always fair and the best team of the season doesn’t always win the grand final. That’s just the way it goes and it’s one of the great things about sports with a sudden death finals systems (NFL / AFL etc - compared to other sports with 7 game series in their playoffs)
Which premier do you think isn’t worthy?

Which premier do you think isn’t worthy?
Just off the top of my head, from what I’ve witnessed in my lifetime, there is no doubt that North (99), Hawthorn (08), Bulldogs (16) and West Coast (18) were not the best teams of the season.
This doesn’t mean they weren’t worthy winners, that’s a completely different claim which I’m pretty sure no one has made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just off the top of my head, from what I’ve witnessed in my lifetime, there is no doubt that North (99), Hawthorn (08), Bulldogs (16) and West Coast (18) were not the best teams of the season.
This doesn’t mean they weren’t worthy winners, that’s a completely different claim which I’m pretty sure no one has made.
Gonna guess you had Essendon (99), Geelong (08) and Richmond (18). Who’ve you got for 2016?

I'd say Adelaide in 98 was far more clearly not the best team than North the next year were. Finished 5th, smacked in week 1 then win 3 games and are premiers? There's a reason they changed that finals format soon after.

I'd say Adelaide in 98 was far more clearly not the best team than North the next year were. Finished 5th, smacked in week 1 then win 3 games and are premiers? There's a reason they changed that finals format soon after.
Very good call. I was born in ‘91 and ‘99 is probably the first season I can properly remember, but I am aware of Adelaide’s relatively lucky run to the grand final in ‘98.

Very good call. I was born in ‘91 and ‘99 is probably the first season I can properly remember, but I am aware of Adelaide’s relatively lucky run to the grand final in ‘98.
Yeah, the only more ridiculous armchair ride to the GF was Carlton the next year. Finished 6th, absolutely smashed by Brisbane in week 1, then got a home final the next week against the Eagles which they won and snuck over the line by a point due to Essendon choking/Kouta playing one of the best finals games ever.

I can see a lot of parallels between Melbourne 2021/2022 and Collingwood 2010/2011. For starters Melbourne 2021 and Collingwood 2010 finished on top of the ladder with a 17w/1d/4l record then went on to win all three of their finals matches quite comfortably.

Coincidentally both Melbourne 2021 and Collingwood 2010 smoked Geelong in the preliminary finals and Geelong subsequently got labelled as being too old and too slow.

Collingwood 2011 were cruising in second gear while smashing teams with small patches of brilliance here and there, and the current Melbourne side are doing the same thing.

My gut feeling is that Melbourne won't win the flag this year and they'll fall at the final hurdle much like my beloved Pies did in 2011. It would be somewhat ironic if Geelong were the team to beat Melbourne in this year's grand final.

Do you agree or disagree that the current Melbourne side are quite similar to the Collingwood side of 2011?
I like it. Cats premiership! Lock it in

Surely you can’t possibly think Geelong were the best side in 2008? Average losing margin of 86 points during the H&A rounds :D

I was right at the time of making this thread, only that I didn't expect the wheels to fall off for Melbourne as soon as they did. I thought the wheels would fall off near the end of the season like how the wheels fell off for us toward the end of 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back