Club Focus Melbourne 2021 - Dunstan, Van Rooyen, Howes, Woewodin

AFL Club Focus
Melbourne club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump as a heck of a point.

In terms of nailing every ND pick is Melbourne’s 2019 draft shaping to be one of the better ones of recent times across the league? Looks like 3 200-gamers, all with serious talent.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Bump as a heck of a point.

In terms of nailing every ND pick is Melbourne’s 2019 draft shaping to be one of the better ones of recent times across the league? Looks like 3 200-gamers, all with serious talent.
Considering we had so many high picks I'd still say it's par. Not spectacular

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
If Ben Brown can’t break into Melbourne’s side surely another club will chase his services especially seeing he’d cost very little at the trade table.

Collingwood maybe?

Would he consider going back to North?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he can’t break into Melbourne’s side surely another club will chase his services especially seeing he’d cost very little at the trade table.

Collingwood maybe?

Doubt he's going anywhere but back like Brown, should have taken the 850k and 1st KPF spot at North.
Roos won't be taking him back.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can't imagine why Melbourne would want to play Weideman over Brown moving forward. I know Weid is younger, but he's at best a below average KPF. He's 6 months older than Coleman leader McKay and can't even manage 1 goal/game, whereas Brown has managed podium finishes in the Coleman multiple times in his career, and has kicked more goals than Weideman this year despite playing 2 less games. I fully expect to see Brown in Melbourne's side by the time we get to finals

What was the real offer because why would he reject 850k? He wouldn’t be getting that at Melbourne, surely?
Yep, it was something like 3yrs guaranteed at about $800,000 with triggers for additional years as we were worried about injuries. He said no, he wanted 4-5yrs guaranteed at $800,000; he then suffered injuries which is the reason we'd made the original offer with triggers. When he was injured he (his manager) came back and said he decided that he was happy with our offer and North pretty much said "sorry that's now withdrawn & test the market for what you're worth"

Yep, it was something like 3yrs guaranteed at about $800,000 with triggers for additional years as we were worried about injuries. He said no, he wanted 4-5yrs guaranteed at $800,000; he then suffered injuries which is the reason we'd made the original offer with triggers. When he was injured he (his manager) came back and said he decided that he was happy with our offer and North pretty much said "sorry that's now withdrawn & test the market for what you're worth"
Did he ever get to free agency? Was a mature draftee right? So he should just be normal OOC in 2024, not a UFA coz he won’t have had 10 years service at one club or have been a free agent before.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Had to laugh at the grab from one of the journo's a few weeks ago (Possibly Jay Clark) saying Melbourne would only entertain a top 25 pick to move him on.

Ironic.

He's absolutely cooked.

The side play to this great sideshow of the last 12 months is the rumours North want Weideman via the PSD.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just wish him well, I'd love him to come back to north one day as I feel he has talents outside of his game, if he thrives elsewhere I'll always cheer the guy though. Many of my best north memories the past five years involved Big Benny.

Boner Spirit

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North did the right thing letting him go and Melbourne are playing him where he now belongs. Has played with a noticeable lack of intensity for a couple of years now.

Hasn't played well since the day jarrad waite hung up the boots and he had to do more of the physical stuff himself.

Lol what horse sh*t is this. Cant imagine you held the same opinion at the end of 2019 when he was runner up in the Coleman Medal
One of the commandments of Shinboner Spirit™️ is shitting on your favourite players when they leave you

TheBigPavallova

Debutant
Jul 7, 2012
The SandPit
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he can’t break into Melbourne’s side surely another club will chase his services especially seeing he’d cost very little at the trade table.

Collingwood maybe?

I think the Stewie Dew and the Suns should sound out Melbourne about Bens availability.

Back