Up the Coasters Melbourne Accomodation Recommendations

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
So I’m considering heading over for the preliminary final IF we make it that far, I’ll be at work for the semi and GF (******* spewing) so they’re not options.

I’ve never been to Melbourne by myself before, always been with my parents so they organised everything. I have no idea what the accommodation near the MCG is like, does anyone have any recommendations/areas I should avoid if I do end up booking a trip over? I’m not looking for a flash hotel, just need somewhere comfortable to sleep for a night or two. Preferably would like somewhere close to the MCG so I’m not running all across Melbourne during a prelim final weekend.

Spoon_Man

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings, USC
Seriously, anywhere in the CBD/Southbank will be fine. Their public transport will get you anywhere you need to.

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Mantra on Exhibition street or any of the Mantra's are pretty good serviced type apartment rooms with mini-kitchen facilities. Pretty good value. Not right next door to the MCG mind you but in the city so not far. Not flash but roomier than most hotels.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Second this.

Just be in the city an hour or so before the game and the crowd will almost carry you to the correct tram.

Wouldn't even worry about tram. Much better to enjoy the walk along the Yarra with the crowd than cram into a tram.

Get a hotel in the CBD, Southbank or even Docklands and just about everything is either walking distance or quick tram ride through the free tram zone.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
As a born and bred Melbournian, don't do the city. Too obvious, on the weekend the city is full of scum.
Go to the suburbs with culture but close to the G; Richmond, Sth Yarra, Prahran, Collingwood, Fitzroy or St Kilda. All have good bars, food, accommodation and 15 mins to G at worst.

TheBeardedEagle

Senior List
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
As a born and bred Melbournian, don't do the city. Too obvious, on the weekend the city is full of scum.
Go to the suburbs with culture but close to the G; Richmond, Sth Yarra, Prahran, Collingwood, Fitzroy or St Kilda. All have good bars, food, accommodation and 15 mins to G at worst.

I'm a West Australian that's been living in Richmond for 9 years and I can agree with this. Although this is more suited to longer term living rather than 2 or 3 days.

The best Cafe's, Bar's and Clubs ARE NOT IN THE CBD! But the easiest place to stay is certainly central.

Have a look at this place - cheap rooms for yourself on Fri - Sat start at $155 pn and Sun-Thur $89-99
or
Shared Room on Fri - Sat start at 35 pn and Sun-Thur $23-25

Remember the hotels are usually boring as everyone does their own thing. Hostels are fun and usually have a bar attached with heaps of other travellers.

I stayed here 4 times before moving to Melbourne - I can't recommend it highly enough if on a budget and if you want a fun place to stay.

I always stay at Great Southern; fairly cheap, right near Southern Cross for airport transfers and about 100m from the Flinders street tram stop.

Stayed there 3 times this year and for the GF last year.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
If you wanna save moolah and don't mind sharing a room there are plenty of good hostels around. I basically lived at the YHA in North Melbourne for a month when I moved here.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So I’m considering heading over for the preliminary final IF we make it that far, I’ll be at work for the semi and GF (******* spewing) so they’re not options.

I’ve never been to Melbourne by myself before, always been with my parents so they organised everything. I have no idea what the accommodation near the MCG is like, does anyone have any recommendations/areas I should avoid if I do end up booking a trip over? I’m not looking for a flash hotel, just need somewhere comfortable to sleep for a night or two. Preferably would like somewhere close to the MCG so I’m not running all across Melbourne during a prelim final weekend.
Flinders station backpackers is good for a cheap central option. I've stayed there several times for footy trips. If you don't want to share, they should have pretty affordable private rooms.

Anywhere in CBD is fine, MCG is within easy walking distance if you don't want to catch a tram (though they are free in CBD, so just jump on one heading in the right direction and you can't go wrong).

I recommend pre-drinks in Richmond before strutting up to the G like an arrogant campaigner.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
I stayed in an Airbnb in Fitzroy just off Smith st was amazing location wise. Walkable to the MCG

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Like Groovy has I have stayed at Mantra on Exhibition before. Old job of mine used Mantra for corporate travellers so we got good deals for business or personal use. Central location, a few blocks up from Flinders street station and easy to walk to the G from there.

Last few times I've gone more budget and closer to Marvel Stadium at Ibis Kingsgate, a block up from Southern Cross station and the airport shuttle transfer, can get to the G via train or tram from and although it's budget it's still OK for me.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
There are some airbnb bargains in St Kilda, easy enough to get to the G from there.
Chinatown is ok as well central and plenty of great food options, there's a Punthill property there that is ok.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Anywhere in CBD is fine, MCG is within easy walking distance if you don't want to catch a tram (though they are free in CBD, so just jump on one heading in the right direction and you can't go wrong).

Oh yes you can. Ticket inspectors prey on tourists not knowing where the free tram zone ends. You can guarantee they're standing at the tram stop directly after the free tram zone ends.

Back