Melbourne are the sleeper team of 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get why everyone is so sure?
Prob because as an outsider I don't feel the legacy of under achievement as Dee fans prob do ( though as a Tiger I know what its like!), as much as seeing the promise in the team right now across the board, the incremental improvement, the strong club identity and not least of all the emerging stars. A new club in fact. There seems to me to be a good mix of skills and tough nuts, and a character emerging about the club. The disappointing end to 2017 will motivate not hinder 2018. It looks like exciting times are near with more improvement and upside the next 2 years.

Prob because as an outsider I don't feel the legacy of under achievement as Dee fans prob do ( though as a Tiger I know what its like!), as much as seeing the promise in the team right now across the board, the incremental improvement, the strong club identity and not least of all the emerging stars. A new club in fact. There seems to me to be a good mix of skills and tough nuts, and a character emerging about the club. The disappointing end to 2017 will motivate not hinder 2018. It looks like exciting times are near with more improvement and upside the next 2 years.
I like the enthusiasm and the opinions from outsiders, but i really have to see this for myself. It's Melbourne man! Melbourne! That club of toff skiing supporters who haven't won a flag since the sixties!

I like the enthusiasm and the opinions from outsiders, but i really have to see this for myself. It's Melbourne man! Melbourne! That club of toff skiing supporters who haven't won a flag since the sixties!
I suspect I've been following Melbourne longer than you, but I have nothing like your scars.

Unfortunately, it's deprived you of the ability to logically assess your own team/list. How can you when you have the attitude "It's Melbourne man! Melbourne!" ? You can't.

Last edited:
last I heard they aren't taking part in the h&a season due to how strenuous it is and potential for injury is too great

Hardly a sleeper.

Channel 7 are hyping them up and wanking them off bigtime.

The sleeper team will be one of Freo, Suns or Blues imo.

Channel 7, Fox, The Footy Show, and MMM have been trying to do this for years. Hope they finally get it right- for their loyal supporters sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect I've been following Melbourne longer than you, but I have nothing like your scars.

Unfortunately, it's deprived you of the ability to logically assess your own team/list. How can you when you have the attitude "It's Melbourne man! Melbourne!" ? You can't.
Dude, relax. I know we are in a better place than we were 3-4 years ago. I just want to see the runs on the board, that’s how I operate.

2018 is the year the Demons break out.

The last two seasons have been promising disappointments. That doesn't make sense but in this context it does. Deal with it.

A 12-10 record in 2017 with losses to North twice, Hawthorn once and Freo once. Teams they should have beaten comfortably. An okay 4-5 record against top 8 teams.

They have a great list that is ready to take the next step. Watts was a loss, but Lever covers that.

2018 fixture is okay. Double ups against Geelong, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Saint Kilda.

Champion Data ranks Melbourne as the 7th toughest schedule. Mattersofstats.com ranks Melbourne as the 9th toughest schedule. Footyology.com.au has Melbourne as the 5th toughest schedule.

The Victorian effect should insulate and protect them as far as fixture and travel fatigue goes.

Melbourne over the last couple of years give me a real Hawks pre 2007 vibe. 2018 I believe is going to be Melbourne's breakout season. 2019 premiership?

Don't write them out.
Premiership in the bag...

Another win for the AFL

And my neighbour supports them, he will be unbearable.

If the Demons don't make the finals this year with the list they have and the drive of just missing finals last year you might as well just shut the club down because they will never make it then

A 12-10 record in 2017 with losses to North twice, Hawthorn once and Freo once. Teams they should have beaten comfortably. An okay 4-5 record against top 8 teams.

If you lose to a team twice in a season, can you really say they should have beaten them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back